Leopardstown (today)

SteveM

At the Start
Famous Name is tremendously consistent at this sort of level, invariably running to about 120, and integral to my TTF.

For betting purposes I don’t know that he can give a stone to Steinbeck though. On the other hand, I’ve not exactly been bowled over by Steinbeck this season, but connections will view this as a prime opportunity for Group success and one not to be missed.

Thoughts?

I think Famous Name is entitled to be favourite and any rain should be in his favour. Nine lbs of the stone he has to concede is wfa.

It will be interesting to see how Vita Venturi gets on.

Happy to look foolish later on but I said it at the time of the Dewhurst, and I'll say it again ... just because Aidan O'Brien says x about a horse, that doesn't make the horse a champion. Steinbeck has shown little and is nowhere near a Group 1/2 horse.

People would actually believe the sky is purple if Aidan O'Brien said so when their eyes tell them it's blue :lol:

Happy to look foolish later on but I said it at the time of the Dewhurst, and I'll say it again ... just because Aidan O'Brien says x about a horse, that doesn't make the horse a champion. Steinbeck has shown little and is nowhere near a Group 1/2 horse.

People would actually believe the sky is purple if Aidan O'Brien said so when their eyes tell them it's blue :lol:

Fair point:cool:

Cheers guys. I'm sort of thinking the same, although still unsure whether to go in hard on Famous Name.

Steinbeck reportedly lost a shoe at Ascot, but his performance behind CC in the Irish Guineas suggested he might be shaping toward something quite useful.

I’ve taken some of the 11/8 (11/10 with Power) because it seems the right way of thinking. However, I won’t be too surprised if Steinbeck manages to secure his first Group win, by hook or by crook, as they seemingly only have one horse to stop (I mean beat).

Bolger’s horse VV looks like starting third favourite and has been cut significantly from earlier indications.

Last edited:
Very rarely bet ones this short but was very tempted by him to be honest, cannot see Steinbeck turning him over.

If you are going to go large and short this is probably the sort of race to do it in though. In fairness to everything it looks a two horse race, with the consensus (...of valued opinion) seeing a clear edge for the favourite (which is odds against rather than odds on, in a small field).

Straightforward for Zoffany in the Tyros. Looks to have plenty of pace and with no obvious Ballydoyle horse for the Heinz, I wonder if that might be on the agenda for Zoffany. Other obvious target looks the Futurity.

Last edited:
You would think it will be a Group 1 next for Zoffany - Heinz or straight to the National Stakes....think he won't be far off their best by the end of the season.

Good team effort guys. I took some 11/8 and a little bit more at 5/4, but in the end the market told us the story. Sent off at odds-on (4/6) and as Aidan says won comfortably. A really nice sort. I shouldn't be surprised if he has run more or less bang on his rating again.

They are looking at races like the Prix Jacques le Marois for Famous Name. Also the Arlington Million. Ease in the ground is the consideration.

Steinbeck is a possible runner at Saratoga in the G2 Jim Dandy (Dirt) 9F on July 31. Also entered is Beethoven and Emperor Claudius.

Prendergasts 2yr olds are flying.

There is two being backed against her but Ive backed Saajidah @ 9/4 in the 6.05 Wexford. I was expecting Snow Watch to run well but there was real market confidence in the fav - 4/7 from 11/8. He looks usefull but not there best.

Straightforward for Zoffany in the Tyros. Looks to have plenty of pace and with no obvious Ballydoyle horse for the Heinz, I wonder if that might be on the agenda for Zoffany. Other obvious target looks the Futurity.

O'Brien reports in the Irish Field that his Heinz team will be built around Samuel Morse....so looks a good opportunity for a non-Ballydoyle trained colt of landing the first Group 1 for 2 year olds in the season.

He is a very likely runner by all accounts - Steinbeck that is. I wonder will he stay over there.

Steinbeck runs with G Gomez riding.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/58109/solid-jim-dandy-field-led-by-fly-down

500,000 Jim Dandy (gr. II, Race 10, 5:48 p.m.), 3YO, 1 1/8 Miles (Dirt)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer
1. Steinbeck (IRE), G K Gomez, 115, A P O'Brien
2. Afleet Express (KY), J Castellano, 119, J A Jerkens
3. Stormy's Majesty (NY), E S Prado, 115, D G Galluscio
4. Aikenite (FL), D Cohen, 115, T A Pletcher
5. A Little Warm (VA), J R Velazquez, 115, A W Dutrow
6. Miner's Reserve (KY), C H Borel, 115, N P Zito
7. Winslow Homer (KY), R A Dominguez, 119, A W Dutrow
8. Friend Or Foe (NY), R Maragh, 115, J C Kimmel
9. Fly Down (KY), J Lezcano, 121, N P Zito

Back