Libyan Compensation for IRA Victims

Grey

Senior Jockey
Newsnight have just reported that the lawyer pursuing compensation from the Gaddafi regime for IRA victims has been able to obtain some concessions from the rebel leaders. Apparently the rebels have agreed in principle that compensation might be payable. The British government set up the meeting and provided backing for the lawyer.

I wonder, though, whether they have thought this through?

If compensation is obtained, will it in turn leave the British state open to claims for compensation from victims of Saddam Hussein and the countless other lawless tyrants around the world to whom they have sold arms?

Last edited:
Victims of IRA atrocities should also be seeking compensation from America, in that case, since enough fundraising was done for decades throughout that country, particularly in Boston, by American-Irish citizens, in support of the IRA and in full knowledge of how those funds would be used by the organisation in both Ireland and Britain. And the fundraising wasn't done covertly, either - the American government knew what the fundraisers were doing, and did nothing to stop it. They might as well have bought the arms directly for the IRA and pressed them into its supporters' hands, however, that wouldn't have been legal - fundraising, under the guise of it being just 'help' (presumably to provide jam butties for the little 'uns), was. You don't have to be a lawless tyrant to actively support terrorism.

Last edited:
I completely agree, Krizon.

I don't know the story of how Libya got singled out, but if they are to be pursued for compensation so should many, many others. With a bit of luck arms dealers, manufacturers and suppliers everywhere will be put out of business. If only.

Victims of IRA atrocities should also be seeking compensation from America, in that case, since enough fundraising was done for decades throughout that country, particularly in Boston, by American-Irish citizens, in support of the IRA and in full knowledge of how those funds would be used by the organisation in both Ireland and Britain. And the fundraising wasn't done covertly, either - the American government knew what the fundraisers were doing, and did nothing to stop it. They might as well have bought the arms directly for the IRA and pressed them into its supporters' hands, however, that wouldn't have been legal - fundraising, under the guise of it being just 'help' (presumably to provide jam butties for the little 'uns), was. You don't have to be a lawless tyrant to actively support terrorism.

And what about pursuing Adams and his cronies for actually using them?

Oh, sorry, that's all been dealt with....

I believe some 22 countries supplied goodies to Saddam, including some who like to give the impression to the world that they're peaceful and anything but aggressive. From the components flogged to him, he was able to make Sarin, the gas which murdered at least 5,000 Kurdish villagers. Take this notion to its logical conclusion, and pretty much all of the European - East, West, North and South, and Scandinavian countries, plus America, could be sued by half the world. What next? Aboriginals to sue Britain for murdering their grandparents with British-made hunting rifles?

I don't think China's yet had full redress (let alone a total apology) from Japan for its hideous atrocities in the Sino-Japanese war, has it?

Yes, if only the weapons business could be sunk. We have not had a single day in recorded history where one of us has not been trying to batter the shite out of another. Some record, huh? Unfortunately, 'Defence' is the last department to be hit (if at all) by any country's Treasury, as it brings in monstrously huge contracts in personnel and materiel. It encourages corruption, despotism, torture, and the wanton maiming and death of civilians. There's nothing heroic about its deploy - it is all and only designed to disable and kill. But, by heck, how we love it! You only have to see the plethora of video games featuring impossibly huge personal weaponry and the points scored for kills to realise how humans are fascinated by the genre of bloodletting.

Personally, I can't wait for Mars to attack. We might realise how pathetic we are, and how we waste our precious time on this lovely little marble, before being vaporised for sport. ("Ek! Ek! Ek!" - that's Martian for "I scored a triple!")

Last edited:
You cannot be in the arms industry ( as most european countries are) without the weapons ending up in the wrong hands from time to time. But gadafi procured arms for use against british civilians. If a nation was to approach bae for weapons to use agiasnt its own people in acts or terroism the licence would not be approved. That's the difference

I think its a godd thing that the compensation is being considered and noy an issue to turn into an anti brit

I agree with krizon on the us although the support was hardly state sponsored (although would have been if that thick pisshead ted kennedy had got in)

I don't think nations contact BAe and say, "We'd like to put down some isolated villagers and want some more bombers", clivex. As we all know by now, the Saudis signed up to the multibillion ££ Al-Yamama deal with Britain several years back, which was to provide all the planes, plus avionics and other technical support and years of training by British instructors to Saudi pilots and all attendant personnel. (Yeah, we bunged a few mill here and there at the princes, but so what?)

Now, why did we do that? Did we think the stuff would just sit there in a museum, showcasing British industry, but all disabled and not able to fire a shot at anyone in anger? Noooo... the Saudis can use that equipment any time they like against their own people, especially in outlying villages and small towns largely populated by those pesky Shi'ites - which include the majority in the Eastern Province, where Aramco has its HQ and there are lots of sensitive installations. Oil, mainly, but also, along with Riyadh and Jeddah, intelligence communications, especially as Dhahran is both a commercial and a military airfield. Bad enough that when the Ayatollah came to power in (Shi'ite) Iran, and began a piety pissing contest with the Gulf in general and Saudi in particular (as the 'guardian' of the two holiest Islamic sites in Makkah and Medina), that the Saudi government chucked Shi'ites out of all the jobs they'd held for years in what they then realised were likely to be the most vulnerable to sabotage - blue collar positions throughout the whole oil process. They threw them out of the armed forces and the police, too: but they were offered 'retraining'... as typists!

So, decades on, it's hardly inconceivable that as Shia resentment builds more, the outbursts will be more violent, and the putdowns by the Saudis will be heavily retributive. Will that retribution involve the use of British-supplied armoury? You betcha!

Sheikh: I know! I fully expect to be found as a pile of smoking ash, with just the fingers left on a hot keyboard, still auto-tapping away. I just love a good old go-round! I don't get too many chances to bang on like this as most people I know are either uninformed or disinterested. (Note to self: calm down, dear, calm down... )

Last edited:
Krizon. The saudis have not used the bae weapons against the shias. You also cannot assume that they will ever do so, so your point is neither here nor there

I think its a godd thing that the compensation is being considered and noy an issue to turn into an anti brit

I am not trying to turn this into an anti Brit issue, but I do think there is remarkable hypocrisy being shown.

Like all other current and former imperial powers, (US, France, Belgium, Germany, Italy, etc) Britain has armed all sorts of undesirable groups and governments around the world, some to foment rebellions, others to put down rebellions, according to its perceived interests at the time. Is it intended to pay compensation to the victims of these weapons?

I very much doubt it, not least because there are obvious difficulties in knowing where to draw the line. At what point, if any, does one cease being responsible for the arms one has supplied and for the manner in which they are used?

And if Libyan taxpayers have to pay compensation, why shouldn't the IRA and all others who contributed to them over the years also be pursued?

Clive - you posit a bald statement that nations would not get weapons from BAe if they approached the company to use them against its own people "in acts of terrorism". That will never happen (directly approaching to put down your own), so your statement is neither here nor there.

When, pray tell, is the use of weapons against one's own people anything but genocide? Does it matter that they are against you, that they protest, riot, or even rebel violently? Does a government have the right to send up its warplanes, as Libya has done, and strafe its own people? In its eyes, yes, it does. Who sold them the weapons? The technology? Who trained the pilots, the ground crews and the support personnel? Who the hell do you think? You think they cobbled all that armour together in a little garage in Tripoli? Of course they didn't - but equally, Libya wouldn't have told any of the arms vendors that it might like to use its planes one day against anyone who dissented, that it wouldn't be averse to blasting its own small towns to rubble to maintain governmental control. But if you don't think there's always a tacit understanding between vendor and purchaser that the goods might be used inwardly as well as outwardly offensive or defensive, you're in La-La Land.

Your own statement is wishful thinking, as of course plenty of countries have used British-supplied armoury against their own people. Who the hell do you think supplied Zimbabwe's military, for one poxy example? The RAF itself flew bombing/strafing sorties in the Middle East against dissidents a few decades ago - the British Govt. hadn't yet then got the natives' training in place at the time, but now it has, you can look forward to all sorts of insurrections being blasted by Made in England armour.

We've just participated in a huge weapons show and signed up more Middle Eastern countries to fighter jets and land armoury. You cannot be that innocent-minded that you don't think some of that is bought as a silent threat to keep would-be dissent in line.

Grey: most of the world stinks of hypocrisy so badly, I'm surprised we can still breathe. I don't suppose it was ever any different, other than as new countries were revealed, they were eventually colonised/overrun, and duly corrupted as they emerged, so that it seems that nowhere is free from its stink.

I think the issue of flogging arms to various countries is like selling a bunch of yobs Doc Martens boots. You know they're yobs, but they're useful to you (or you hope that at some point they will be), so you sell them the gear. Later, you hear they've kicked in the heads of some guys who stood up to them, using the boots you sold them. Is it your fault? Is it theirs? Is it the fault of the guys who got kicked, knowing how their assailants were booted up and that they were likely to get hammered?

We wander off into philosophising here, for which I'm ill-educated and equipped with just a tiny brain, but your answer, as the vendor, would be "Well, if I didn't sell them the boots, someone else would." So you dodge responsibility on the grounds that the boots would've been sold, anyway. Just happened to be you this time. The boots' buyers would say they had no intention of using them against anyone - they're just comfortable and hard to wear out. But they got yelled at and they retaliated. If they hadn't been yelled at, there'd have been no need to kick in any heads.

Unfortunately, the kicked-in heads can't reply, because they're dead. So, clearly, it's their fault, and they should've known better.

Krizon

you are just waffling away

Arms last longer than governments. The UK does not supply arms to genocidal regimes at this time. If a regime moves in that direction (and remember there were plenty who thought Mugabe was the bees knees when he arrived on the scene...not least those who squeal about arms sales now) then that can be seen as bad forward thinking but again cannot be guaranteed

You cite Saudi. They are not a regime that I and many otheres respect but have they in 50 odd years of buying our arms used them for genocidal purposes againts their own people? Never....

Would it have been wrong to sell them the arms if hussein had invaded as he was seemingly planning to do?

would it have been wrong to arm Poland in 1939 say?

And should we not have not sold to Saudi on the basis they might just have used them against the shi ites? Of course not

Last edited:
Clive, I fear it's no good proceeding further with you, my little rose petal, as your mind is as set as a concrete block. Far from waffling, I've given quite a fair exposition, I think. As for selling Saudi Arabia arms when Saddam planned to invade - ahem! They'd had Lightnings since way back in the 70s, superceded by F-16s and 17s from the US, and were perfectly up-to-date with British Aerospace's offerings, including the Tornado, well before Saddam became Mr. Naughty and nobody liked him any more. Saudi was well-enough tooled up: Desert Storm was monster overkill to take out Iraqi ambitions - although it conveniently didn't go far enough, stopping along the 'highway of death' to napalm fleeing Iraqis and their hapless prisoners, but not into town to arrest Saddam then. Most of us in the Gulf figured that was because the US Dept of Defense (sic) wanted to keep to the letter of liberating Kuwait and be able to justify its humungous budget for a future foray. Which is exactly what happened.

If we take the view that none of us can foresee who will end up being a despot, or just desperate, and abusing the gear we've flogged them, then none of us should sell armaments of any kind to any country. Yeah, I know. Some hope!

Anyway, I'm off for a cuppa now. You have a nice evening, too.

Back