Lincoln handicap

Too early to reach that conclusion. The chances are the winner of the Newbury Spring Cup and Royal Hunt Cup were in today's field.

Not sure that's the selling point that you think it is.

I think 1 royal hunt winner has run in the Lincoln in the last 10 years

Last edited:
Not sure that's the selling point that you think it is.

I think 1 royal hunt winner has run in the Lincoln in the last 10 years

Not so much a selling point, but the race is usually strong form, whether it's for the races I mentioned or the Dante meeting or any of the upcoming Saturday mile £20k+ handicaps. The Victoria Cup, too, although you'll probably be able to tell me that there's not been a Lincoln runner come out and won it :D

The Starter reported that IRISH ADMIRAL (IRE) was the subject of a third criteria failure. William Haggas was informed that the gelding could not run until the day after passing a stalls test.

Following the race, Rossa Ryan reported that AMETIST, unplaced, was never travelling from the 5 furlong marker and the representative of William Haggas reported that the gelding had bled from the nose. Callum Rodriguez reported that WHAT'S THE STORY, unplaced, was denied a clear run.

There's either a gp1 or gp2 in the race or there's nothing. Again trying to spot the Victoria cup or Bunbury cup etc. Best of luck. I can see something like the London Gold Cup is the modern equivalent of what the Lincoln once was. To think that it was a three day meeting in recent memory.

As you suspect 1 winner of the Victoria cup in the last ten years had run in the Lincoln. Several more had run on the AW the March prior to their win.

Last edited:
There's either a gp1 or gp2 in the race or there's nothing. Again trying to spot the Victoria cup or Bunbury cup etc. Best of luck. I can see something like the London Gold Cup is the modern equivalent of what the Lincoln once was. To think that it was a three day meeting in recent memory.

As you suspect 1 winner of the Victoria cup in the last ten years had run in the Lincoln. Several more had run on the AW the March prior to their win.

When I started watching racing this meeting was a pretty big deal. Now it's nothing.

I agree it isn't what it was but the Lincoln itself is still a seriously valuable handicap and it's hard to imagine the ones that ran in it today were just there because they could, as though it was an ordinary race in preparation for something bigger.

I read earlier in the week about Haggas having an excellent record in it from very few runners and Appleby/Godolphin has won it twice in the last four or five years. Plus recent winners tended to be short prices.

I had a suspicion that Varian pulled his two because he's heard big things about the Haggas horse and didn't want his to have a hard race. I wonder if he regrets not running the one that was officially very well in.

Maybe the horses weren't as fit as they'd thought.

I don't know.

At this stage of the season, though, I'm happy to assume the form will stand up and that a lot of the field will win races.

A few years ago I tipped up Dolphin vista at 50/1 for the Cambridgeshire after putting it in my alerts from the Lincoln.
One horse today that I will be keeping an eye on is Darkness.
O'Meara is good at protecting its mark for something bigger.some of the big races are two or 3 times bigger prize money.

Looking at Johan’s profile (annoyingly after the race and not before) he is a horse that either wins or does nothing. And when he wins he wins at a mile in class 2 races. He also scored highly in the OLBG trends blog. I wish I could turn the clock back 24 hours. I bet he’s a bit of a character.

I put him up for last year's race (which, IIRC Wm Haggas was unhappy with the drying ground). Ironically, for both him and me, yeserday's race was won in a slightly faster time.

Last edited:
Back