Lockinge

His colours have important significance, as the horse is owned by the Arch of Gold Pty Ltd syndicate, managed by Frank Tagg. It also includes Frank Meduri and Garry Moffitt. All these men are McDonalds franchisees, and best friends. Tagg actually lives in the same suburb as me, Meduri is in a very wealthy area of Sydney called Strathfield and Moffitt is from Canberra.

Funnily enough, I used to do their insurance when I worked on the McDonalds account back in 2004 and 2005. I found Frank Tagg and Frank Meduri to be the most approachable people and I used to always talk about "Elvis" with them.

Anyway, in respect of Haradasun. He sweated up in the Mackinnon something bad and ran 2nd Last. Question, where are the white Clerk of the Course ponies that take the nervous gallopers and the ones that get on their toes before the start? It was something this horse used to always have by his side, to help him settle. This would have kept the horse much settled, and he probably wouldn't have gotten all excited once he entered out of the chute.

I saw he was also trying to make his run in the final stages, but two horses in front hampered his run just as he was about to get out. It probably didn't help him either. I don't think he would have won, but he would have run a lot closer. Another thing was the track looked rather tight a lot like Moonee Valley in respect of galloping room and the horse's best wins have come on the big open tracks such as Randwick, Flemington, Caulfield and Rosehill. He didn't handle Moonee Valley much.

Personally, I'd forget he even went around. He will probably be a better horse once he gets the bigger track of Ascot.

The horse's appearance (in terms of condition) and betting patterns clearly suggests the horse was expected to need this run....like virtually every other Ballydoyle horse this year. Murtagh was very easy on him as well. Considering he arrived late last year to Ballydoyle its not that big of a surprise that he would need it.

Whats more I didn't think he boiled over, was keen going to post but considering the slow gallop he settled very well.

Would a horse being a bit tubby really lead to a drift like that though? There must have been more to it. Was the opening price just silly in the first place?

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@May 18 2008, 12:06 AM
Would a horse being a bit tubby really lead to a drift like that though? There must have been more to it. Was the opening price just silly in the first place?
It looks like he was backed all week on the basis they were very happy with him and that he was their confirmed runner in the race. But being very happy with him and having him ready first time out is another thing. Channel 4 were particularly negative about his paddock appearance..and its not often they go negative on a horse.

Like I said I wouldn't view him differently to any of the other Ballydoyle horses...significant improvement likely. Weither its good enough to win at Ascot is another story.

Morning price might have had something to do with with the ridiculous hype generated by the RP (there's a reason why Goober called it the Raging Boast!).

Thought he ran a very encouraging race.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@May 18 2008, 12:06 AM
The opening price was utterly ridiculous.

G Armee, how important you think it would be for Australian breeders if this horse wins at Ascot or not ?
He is already proven over there, has a great physique and pedigree and there would be excuses if he doesn´t perform well over here anyway.

I guess Coolmore expects to get him at stud in Ireland ( otherwise they will never get those 45m back ), but I really doubt this horse has enough appeal for european breeders even if he performs better at Ascot.

Originally posted by rorydelargy@May 17 2008, 11:13 PM

The opening price was utterly ridiculous.

Based on his runs behind Miss Finland and El Sugundo i made him fav on my tissue, just ahead of Creachadoir as it happens, thats partly why i backed Creachadoir each way

Thanks GA

On course boys saw summat before he came on track imo, thats why he went whoooooshh in market

The one that I'm still not entirely sure about after today is Tariq. Steady pace wouldn't have suited today (pulled fairly hard), will be better on faster ground, yet he still ran a very eyecatching race.

That said, I'm still not totally convinced he gets a mile in a truly run race (which he needs given his racing style) and I got a feeling he was running on empty near the line today. If he gets a mile, he wins the Queen Anne IMO.

It was a bit hard to judge Tariq's run as didn't he have to snatch up and then come round a couple to try to get a run on the leaders? he should strip fitter next time too. I think the muddling early pace makes it a very hard race to use for future form

Originally posted by trackside528@May 17 2008, 11:34 PM
The one that I'm still not entirely sure about after today is Tariq.
I'm not sure either trackside, ran an interesting race, but i'd not back him to turn form around unless odds were on generous side and i don't think they will be in Queen Anne

Assuming Haradasun goes for the Queen Anne, I would imagine there'll be a Ballydoyle pacemaker in there.

That's the quandry re: Tariq for me. Likely strong pace in the Queen Anne will allow him to settle and suit his hold up style, but he's yet to comprehensively prove he gets the trip.

Perhaps the Sussex is his best chance of a Group 1 over a mile.

Originally posted by trackside528@May 18 2008, 12:34 AM
If he gets a mile, he wins the Queen Anne IMO.
Not a chance in that race. The uphill finish at Ascot will be totally against him. He`s won at Goodwood and it`s a far easier mile round a turn - the Sussex will be his best chance imo.

Originally posted by Headstrong@May 17 2008, 11:38 PM
It was a bit hard to judge Tariq's run as didn't he have to snatch up and then come round a couple to try to get a run on the leaders? he should strip fitter next time too. I think the muddling early pace makes it a very hard race to use for future form
Tariq looked as fit as a flea today, shocking to say there were only two horses in the race carrying condition.

Astromoner Royal and the winner.

I got told in the morning that O'Brien was running his horse just to see his ability, he thinks he is a sprinter and is being aimed at the Golden Jubilee. They don't see this horse as a miler.

The Cecil camp were pleased with Phoenix Tower, however they said the lack of pace beat him and he saw too much daylight. He was coming back at them late on and the yard are confident he will turn the form around at Ascot.

Tariq's connections were also pleased with their runner and he ran well, someone mentioned interference, however he caused it trying to lug into Cesare. Tariq would prefer better ground.

agree with Euro here tariq will have great difficulty lasting a mile at ascot goodwood is his best chance of lasting a mile or perhaps a slowly run sprint finish mile race in france

Thanks for the firsthand view Chris, interesting stuff. Was gutted not to be there :(

I'm kind of surprised with that take on Haradasun as he seemed to be doing his best work at the end. In any case your info on the yard thinking clearly explains the big drift, if that got round the course in the hours before the race

I presume Chris meant Astronomer Royal was the sprinter? O'Brien said as much at the Ballydoyle open day:

He has plenty of pace. Won the French Guineas, which is over an easy mile and while it's not definite yet it's possible that he could go sprinting this year.

That explains! Sorry, we'd been focussing on Haradasun who belongs to Coolmore so I'd made one of my mental leaps :rolleyes: In that case, has anyone explained the heavy slide in Haradasun's price before the off? What did you notice about him Chris?

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@May 18 2008, 03:03 PM
I presume Chris meant Astronomer Royal was the sprinter? O'Brien said as much at the Ballydoyle open day:

He has plenty of pace. Won the French Guineas, which is over an easy mile and while it's not definite yet it's possible that he could go sprinting this year.
Nope, was told in the trade and by respected members connected to Ballydoyle who will remain unnamed that this is a sprinter and had been pulverising Us Ranger at home. They wanted this as a class guide and that he had not had any buttoms pressed on the gallops.

Originally posted by Headstrong@May 18 2008, 03:15 PM
That explains! Sorry, we'd been focusing on Haradasun who belongs to Coolmore so I'd made one of my mental leaps :rolleyes: In that case, has anyone explained the heavy slide in Haradasun's price before the off? What did you notice about him Chris?
Haradasun:

Nice strong individual who like many Australian types was more of a muscular powerhouse than carrying condition. Very lit up in pre-parade ring he had two strong lads leading him up. He remained on his toes once saddled and got quite worked up sweating all over. He relaxed a bit more once Johnny Murtagh was on top but was fairly keen to post.

In the race itself he was dropped in off a slow gallop and seemed to relax okay. He was travelling well until they quickened of which he hit a flat spot before being bumped by Tariq. He lost momentum and kept on late, giving the impression he would get further. My sources however are not of that opinion and feel the race had no real bearings on ability or trip.

He was hardly blowing when he was dismounted and the words echoed after race from connections were he needs quicker ground and a stronger gallop.

He is a nice looking sort with the progression to be competitive at group company over 6f - 1m. He is probably still acclimatising from coming over from Australia and it would come as no surprise if he left this run well behind next time out.

I really liked A R as an individual and he was one of the better looking horses in the paddock, except carrying a good 50kg too much. He is a horse who I think will do well this year.

There was only one horse that stood out in that paddock and that was Tariq, best looking horse by a country mile, just don't think a mile at a slow gallop is his trip. I do like Phoenix Tower as well.

Cesare wouldn't win a beauty contest if he had 4 new legs, and a new body, and he was sweating badly and was very fractious when Jamie got on. I don't think for one minute he has shown his full potential but I'm not really a fan of the horse and certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to back him. He struggles at this level and I just think he suits races where he can boss his opposition and win effortlessly, he is not good enough to do that in this sphere and doesn't appear to relish a battle.

I will get around to uploading some paddock notes form the last few meetings when I get an odd day or two, but flat out at the moment.

I will say Morrison's that ran in the 1st yesterday is one to look out for and Capucci will dot up in handicap company next time, he didn't for a minute look fit yesterday and interestingly has had 3 quiet and quick runs, he's a bloody good work horse on the racecourse side gallops and I would watch out for a Gosden coup in the next couple of weeks.

Esp interesting as we've been told he can't sweat!

Thanks very much indeed for all that info Chris, very much food for thought

Originally posted by Headstrong@May 18 2008, 04:08 PM
Esp interesting as we've been told he can't sweat!

Thanks very much indeed for all that info Chris, very much food for thought
Who can't sweat Sara ?

If it's Cesare, it was more sweaty than what John Mac would be after running the London Marathon, must say though the girl on the inside of him with blonde hair should have won best turned out. She looked lovely :shy:

Amazed the Aussie horse got BTO, it certainly wouldn't have got it from me, looked all wound up, mind you I was surprised it didn't make its way to Phoenix Tower that's what normally happens when owners sponsor a race.

Back