Main Festival Hope

Tanlic

Senior Jockey
Which horses are you mainly depending on to ensure a good Cheltemham?

Cinders an Ashes EW in The Suprme Novices

Sprinter Sacre The Arkle Trophy

I'm already a bit behind when Grandouet was withdrawn but these two are my biggest bets of the festival. I've been backing them for months at varoius odds.

Sprinter Sacre is by far my biggest bet so if he wins I'll be pretty safe even if I dont back another winner. If Cinders and Ashes is placed or even better wins I'll be in clover.

If they both lose it'll take 10 Hurricane Fly's and A Big Bucks to bail me out :D

Last edited:
Balls deep in Hurricane fly and sprinter sacre at various prices.id be delighted if one of them wins,both would make my week.

Sprinter Sacre for me as well. By far my biggest ever jumps bet.

After him Mount Benbulben in the AB and Medermit in the Ryanair.

Haven't had a bet yet.

This kind of discipline, whilst admirable, is something I'm incapable of.

My hopes centre around Hurricane Fly, though it's more about what he can achieve on form, rather than any financial considerations (though I will trouser a few quid).

That apart, I hope Kauto makes it to the Gold Cup for one last hurrah, and that Un Guet Appens runs well for my old mucker OTB in the Fred Winter. :cool:

All about the Friday for me:

My Flora in the Foxhunters and Mount Benbulben in the Albert Bartlett - if Simonsig goes in the 2m race then himt oo.

Martin

It's a good Cheltenham for me when the good horses win.

Sprinter Sacre is a horse that has it all. I just hope he stays out of the way of the also rans.

After the Minsk, Last Instalment & Fingal Bay fiascos I am the festival Jonah so I won't post what I've tried to buy my way out of trouble with..

My main approach to the festival is always based around antepost trading, in addition to those few I got wrong (which are to be expected) I've made some stupid mistakes this year for example I was on Last Instalment at 50, 44 and 36 but still hadn't traded out before he got pulled. Likewise I'm on Simonsig at 44 and 16 for the supreme, should have traded out when he dropped below 10 but now looks like he's going for the Neptune, also was on Minsk at double figures (14 I think) and didn't trade out.

I've still got a reasonable book but the Arkle could potentially make my festival. I've been on Peddlers Cross from day 1 and have decent size bets at 16/1 and 14/1 each way (although they don't look too hot now:rolleyes:). Likewise I've been all over Sprinter Sacre since his first run, I have a few good bets at 7/1 and also numerous doubles (with first leg wins) and multiples. If either of those win I will be well up for the rest of the festival with bets still to ride in most races.

Last edited:
Not had a bet either. Why is that luke? Is it because that in reality the ante post markets dont really offer the value that some assume and that its simply best to wait til the fog clears about running plans, stable form etc?

Ive had some fair ante posts over the years but so often the price isnt much different on the day. And weve all had the non runners of course

Then again i probably dont do more than 10-15 bets all festival anyway

Last edited:
Quevega, Big Bucks, Long Run, Hurricane Fly, Scotsirish, Sprinter Sacre, Sizing Europe. If they all win I'll buy a new house! :D

But will this be one year where short priced favs really do fly in? Just because it doesnt happen often doesnt mean it cant. Im not sure i recall so may seemingly bombproof runners (rather than overbacked hype)

I know.... and it will be more of a surprise if at least one "certainty" doesnt blow it.

No more than four of those will win.

If I had two to drop out of that list they would be Scotsirish and Long Run - it's hard to see the others beat if they arrive fit and well and don't get knocked down. . It very well could be a festival of shorties.

Last edited:
Sizing Europe, Sizing Europe & Sizing Europe for me, my only bet to look forward to but if he wins it's a winning festival, if not it's a battle!

Love building up my antepost portfolio during the winter. Three most exciting ew bets for me are Cinders & Ashes 12/1, Weird Al 20/1 and Oscars Well 25/1, though the latter is playing for places only behind the mighty Fly :)

Gl everyone, not long now :D:D

I know.... and it will be more of a surprise if at least one "certainty" doesnt blow it.

Depends on which ones you regarded as certainties?

The list is bit too long for my liking

In reality only Big Bucks Sizing Europe and Quevega should be on the list.

Sure I think Sprinter Sacre is a certianty but there is the Peddlers Cross doubt and the hill even if I say they're poopycock.

Who knows how good Zarkandar is or if a top of his from Binocular isn't better than Hurricane Fly...it's total guess work and opinion nothing else.

Long Run/ geezus he could send SWC into orbit at the first.

Scotsirish: too much to prove and lost more than he's won

If 4 win we'll be doing very well IMO

Last edited:
Every year I say I'm not going to do it, and yet I do.

Three of my ante-post bets are on greys, two of which are going to run in other races now. The other is Al Ferof, and I don't think he's going to win the Arkle, though I did at least back him each way so I might get a small return, as I really will be disappointed if he can't place.

I backed Sizing Europe ages ago and I'm confident with him.

I'll now just turn my attention to lays/place lays on the day.

Back