Matt O'Connor

Here's to him making a full recovery.

Unlike the poor Richardson's (as in Cheveley Park) son, though, who died as a result of head injuries not unlike Natasha Richardson's (no relation, I believe - just an awful coincidence) in a fall last week. Only 21 too - horrendous.

Here's to him making a full recovery.

Unlike the poor Richardson's (as in Cheveley Park) son, though, who died as a result of head injuries not unlike Natasha Richardson's (no relation, I believe - just an awful coincidence) in a fall last week. Only 21 too - horrendous.

Just reading that in the RP now. Terrible event.

DOCTORS were on Tuesday reportedly "happy" with the progress conditional rider Matt O'Connor has made since arriving at Cork University Hospital after suffering serious head injuries following a fall at Thurles last Thursday.
The jockey was knocked unconscious after his mount Walkin Aisy fell at the fifth-last fence of the Templemore Beginners Chase and was on Monday slowly being weaned off the sedation he had been under since arriving at the hospital.
Dr Walter Halley, former chief medical officer for the Irish Turf Club and a member of the jockey's family, said: "There is no change in Matt's condition. He is stable and the consultant staff are happy with his progress.
"It's a question of continuous monitoring and hopefully the improvement that has taken place will continue to progress.
"I spoke to his mother Caroline this morning and she and his father John want to thank everyone in racing for all the cards and best wishes."

By the sounds of things he came round very slightly last night and they seem very happy with him in general.Hopefully the positive news will continue

Found this tucked away within todays news

CONDITIONAL RIDER Matt O'Connor remains stable in Cork University Hospital, following a fall at Thurles a week ago, but his condition was on Thursday "improving slightly" by Dr Walter Halley of the Turf Club medical team.

The 21-year-old suffered serious head injuries when knocked unconscious after his mount Walkin Aisy fell at the fifth-last fence of the Templemore Beginners Chase on Thursday, March 30.
5592.jpg
Matt O'Connor: steadily improving
PICTURE: Caroline Norris
O'Connor was placed in an induced coma but has been gradually taken off the sedation since Monday and, despite no significant changes, doctors were on Wednesday "happy" with the rider's progress.

On Thursday, however, O'Connor's mother, Caroline reported the first signs of improvement.

“I was on the phone to his mother Caroline this morning and she told me Matthew is stable but has improved slightly and is going forward," he said. "The monitoring process is ongoing so it’s encouraging news.”
The policy of no visitors with the exception of immediate family is still in place for O'Connor, who is known as 'Strawberry' and has ridden 31 jumps winners, plus a further four on the Flat with his biggest success coming on board boss Colm Murphy's Big Zeb in the Grade 1 Paddy Power Dial-A-Bet at Leopardstown over Christmas.
His last winner came at Down Royal on the Leonard Whitmore-trained Casey Supreme on March 17. Four days earlier he finished second in the Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys Handicap Hurdle on 100-1 chance Midnight Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.

05 Apr 14:24

DR WALTER Halley, a member of the Turf Club's medical team and spokesman for the family of Matt O'Connor, reported on Sunday a "huge improvement" in the condition of the 21-year-old jockey who suffered serioushead injuries in a fall at Thurles on March 26.

Dr Halley said: "Matt has been weaned off the medical induced coma he was in following his injuries. He is off the ventilator and breathing without assistance. He is wearing an oxygen mask which is normal procedure.

"He has full movement of his upper and lower limbs and is obeying any instructions he has been given by the hospital medical team.

"He will continue to be monitored by the team in Cork University Hospital for some time, but the news I'm in a position to give you today represents a huge improvement in Matt's condition and is a huge relief for his family."

Dr Halley added: "Matt's family are very appreciative of all the cards and messages that they have received

O'CONNOR OUT OF INTENSIVE CARE

Jockey Matt O'Connor has been moved from out of intensive care as he continues
to recover from a fall at Thurles in March.
Colm Murphy's conditional rider was knocked unconscious after his mount, Walkin
Aisy, fell at the fifth-last fence of the Templemore Beginners Chase.
He has since remained in hospital.
Dr Walter Halley, former chief medical officer for the Irish Turf Club and a
member of the jockey's family, said: ``I was talking to his parents this
morning
and he is in good form.
``He is now out of intensive care and things are going the right way.
``The O'Connor family wanted me to pass on their thanks to everyone who has
phoned and sent letters.
``Visiting is still limited

To him, all his mates and family, very best wishes for a full recovery. He sounds a lovely young man, clearly held in high regard.

That is good news. All the best to him and his family. Hope he makes a full recovery and that it isn't too long before we see him back.

Hi, Aldaniti! Yes, last time I checked, I'm here! Things are much more tranquil now, so it looked safe enough for an oldie to totter back in. Just furtling around trying to find out what all the navigation lights on the Board do at present, so bear with me!

21 Apr 13:45

MATT O'CONNOR was on Tuesday given a further positive bulletin from Dr Walter Halley of the Turf Club medical team.

The Wexford rider was knocked unconscious after his mount, Walkin Aisy, fell five out in a beginners chase at Thurles last month.

Since regaining consciousness and leaving the intensive care unit of Cork University Hospital earlier this month, O’Connor has made good progress.

“He continues to improve and he was out for lunch with his family on Sunday last which was good to hear,” said Dr Halley on Tuesday afternoon. “Matt is mobile and is currently undergoing physiotherapy which is normal for someone at his stage of recovery, so things are certainly going the right way.”

Back