Mccririck

Back on topic, lads.

Religion is not really a topic that can be discussed without it developing into heated arguments......best left alone.

As I have said before, McCririck is a very poor advert for the Public School system

As I have said before, McCririck is a very poor advert for the Public School system

Struggle to think of many good adverts in my experience...

I have very mixed feelings abot Mac. Whilst on the one hand, we dont want to see laods of Richard keys corporate creep presenters he also is a front for the sport (by default admittedly) and his barely concealed opinions do little to alter the image that Racing is stuffed of spolit blinkered reactionary twits

Hes better than the image he potryas but has created this monster that he feels e has to live up to.

Has he toned down a little over the last couple of months? I haven't seen much of him but when I have seen him he seems somewhat less obnoxious (apart from the stupid interview with Pat Kenny).

Originally posted by clivex@May 13 2008, 11:28 AM

Struggle to think of many good adverts in my experience...

I
What a ridiculous generalisation! So you know personally every graduate of the Public School system????

Just like every other strata of society, there are good and bad representatives. There are probably hundreds upon thousands of former public school pupils who have had perfectly law-abiding, tax-paying, productive lives. Just as many State educated residents have too.

Not to mention that, like them or loathe them, one thing that public school graduates do tend to possess are good manners, something which is woefully lacking in many people nowadays.

....something that is totally absent in the public persona of McCririck.

And don't see any point in anyone coming back with the answer that he is good-mannered in private. It is the public image that we are aware of and that is boorish and bad-mannered.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@May 13 2008, 11:26 AM
Not to mention that, like them or loathe them, one thing that public school graduates do tend to possess are good manners, something which is woefully lacking in many people nowadays.
I wouldn't imagine this has anything to do with the school. This kind of education begins at home and I have to say the vast majority of kids I've worked with for the last near-30 years, almost exclusively from working class backgrounds, have been as polite as I would wish my own family to be.

I think kids react according to the level of respect and indeed fear they have for an adult.

At school we had "soft touch" teachers and the class would descend into chaos, with the female teachers in question often reduced to tears.

There were other teachers who were "hard nuts" and mess with them at your peril.

I am afraid to say the "softly softly" apprach with kids simply does not work - they need to be treated with a firm strict manner if you want them to learn respect.

If you would rather continue the church debate in General Chat I can split the posts out or one of you can start a new topic in there.

Otherwise, back on topic please :)

Can I lobby you to split them please Gareth.

Religion and its alleged hypocriscy is a fair subject, and it's not as if we haven't had it before, but where as I'm happy to blame McCrirrick for many things, even I can't pin this one on him :D

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@May 13 2008, 12:56 PM
And don't see any point in anyone coming back with the answer that he is good-mannered in private. It is the public image that we are aware of and that is boorish and bad-mannered.
I can't understand that comment, Colin - the public persona is an act. Would you similarly condone an actor for playing the role of a "baddie"?

...and yes, he can be perfectly polite off camera.

Shads, you say, and I accept, as I have only met him whilst 'playing the role', that it's an act.

How many average punters/viewers have met him privately, and know that it is an act?

The public perception (I would think) is that he is a rude, ill-mannered misogynist.

Why is it "hardly the same thing"? The man projects a public persona as part of his screenplay. Ergo it is an act. Ergo he is essentially an actor. With respect, I'm in a better position than most on here to comment as to whether he can be polite or not.

Originally posted by Royal Ascot+May 12 2008, 01:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Royal Ascot @ May 12 2008, 01:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LUKE@May 11 2008, 05:18 PM
Now that Rishi Persad has disappeared Zoey Bird is the most cluless presenter in racing.
He backed Zahid at 14/1 on Sat and tipped it up before the off....maybe not so bad ? [/b][/quote]
Brilliant ...was that his first winner since he joined the bbc.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader+May 13 2008, 07:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadow Leader @ May 13 2008, 07:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Colin Phillips@May 13 2008, 12:56 PM
I can't understand that comment, Colin - the public persona is an act. Would you similarly condone an actor for playing the role of a "baddie"?

...and yes, he can be perfectly polite off camera. [/b][/quote]
Yes, but the whole point is surely that he is not an actor- as much as he would like to be one?!

can't understand that comment, Colin - the public persona is an act. Would you similarly condone an actor for playing the role of a "baddie"?

Its a good point

Apparently that Basil Rathbone used to spend his weekends taxing the poor of Nottingham :suspect:

Back