melbourne cup

I've kept an eye on Thomas Hobson for years, so had to back him this time. And I also always back Wicklow Brave, if only for the fun of wondering if he'll start.

Anyone want to watch live for free racing.com show the entire meeting live if you register

Humidor is the one I like most got a definite chance. Best outsider Hartnell who got a shocking ride last year and like many been trained for this

Talk about the apple not falling far from the tree..Great training feat by young Joseph.

I wonder which one Aiden was cheering home from Barbados?

Talk about the apple not falling far from the tree..Great training feat by young Joseph.

I wonder which one Aiden was cheering home from Barbados?

Absolutely right - amazing effort. First Northern hemisphere bred horse to win since 1910 - and a 3 year old at that!

oh...and I suspect the Racing Post may change this
headline by the morning:

Father beats son as Rekindling reels in Vermeer in Melbourne Cup
<attachment></attachment>

Last edited:
Vintage Crop was bred in the UK albeit his sire was from the USA and Weld's other winner called Media whatitsname? was bred at Moyglare Stud Farm which is Ireland which is an Island in the Norther hemisphere and the last I heard it is owned by a friend of William Wallace's:)

Spare a thought for David Wachman; first Winter now this !
If ever a man retired a year early......
Racing Post had it right with photos of Joseph, A.P. and Willie on the front page yesterday.

Joseph said he going to enjoy the victory, that must be a first for him.

Last edited:
What he has achieved so far is absolutely amazing -that family are rewriting racing history on a daily basis.

I loved the quote from Grassy's favourite journo; Bruce Millington (though not sure if he takes full credit for it)

Aidan O'Brien: trainer of great sires, sire of great trainers.

Vintage Crop was bred in the UK albeit his sire was from the USA and Weld's other winner called Media whatitsname? was bred at Moyglare Stud Farm which is Ireland which is an Island in the Norther hemisphere and the last I heard it is owned by a friend of William Wallace's:)

I stand corrected! That's what you get for listening to American commentators at midnight and not double checking - I should know better!

The lad who rode Thomas Hobbs may have been riding to instructions but it is near impossible to win from the rear 11 wide at Flemington.

To top it off he hit the horse 7 times than added another 4 when clearly he wasn't going to get even close to winning...I believe he was fined a few thousand dollars aus.

Back