Canford Cliffs 4/5
Rip Van Winkle 7/2
Dick Turpin 7/2
Premio Loco 8/1
Dream Eater 20/1
Beethoven 20/1
Alexandros 25/1
33/1 bar

Fencing Master and Steinbeck have hardly done much for the 3 year old form this week but has to be a worry to see RVW (who is confirmed on target for this race) as big as 7/2.

CC looks very short. Dick Turpin the bet at the prices.

I don't think RVW will win another race - don't like to see horses run as he did at Ascot.

Alexandros looks a bet if he's an intended runner at 25s each way..

Last edited:
I can't oppose Canford here to be honest much as I love Rip.

I'm gagging for this meeting though, the racing has been awful since Royal Ascot. I think the Nassau is the more interesting of the Group 1s we have coming up.

Controversial last entry there Trackside. He's not sub-standard in my book. Given decent ground a fast track Paco Boy is one of the top 5 milers in Europe. Probably 3rd or 4th...

Canford is still approaching his peak. He'll have to fall down a hole to lose this if he takes part. Expect a deeply impressive performance should he line up. He won't run if it is too firm.

Would you not think Dick Turpin showed at least the same level of form Canford has in the Prix Jean Prat Steve?

Would you not think Dick Turpin showed at least the same level of form Canford has in the Prix Jean Prat Steve?

Yes about the same (about/approaching the mid 120s). Although CC's Irish Guineas win was probably a little better in terms of the actual number. Dick Turpin is a wonderful performer. Canford wins decisively though. I'm very confident we'll see further improvement in Canford relative to the others and that he'll easily add to his two Group 1s this season (assuming he takes part, which could be a worry).

I spoke to someone connected to Dick Turpin and asked if Dick Turpin will run in the Sussex Stakes - he said "No formal decision has been made but if the going remains g/firm then probally not. Rain needed. Don't go anti post."

The 7 day weather forecast summary for Goodwood Racecourse, United Kingdom:

Taking a look at the Goodwood Racecourse forecast over the coming week and the average daytime maximum will be around 20°C, with a high of 21°C expected on Tuesday morning. The average minimum temperature for the week ahead will be around 15°C, dipping to its lowest on Thursday morning at 12°C. Tuesday is expected to see the most precipitation with around 5mm, or about 0.2inches anticipated. The strongest wind will be felt on Saturday afternoon, coming from the west, and reaching around 13mph, that's about 21kph.

I understand Hannon is keen to run DT especially if Canford doesn't run, and is fairly open-minded on running both of them. What he won't do is run Canford if it's too fast.

DT is a cracking EW bet if he's a runner. Be amazed if anyone will lay you EW in this though, awful race to lay EW in.

i think DT will improve past canford cliffs a la henrythenavigator raven"s pass but that is just my opinion :)

i think DT will improve past canford cliffs a la henrythenavigator raven"s pass but that is just my opinion :)

A bold statement but I happen to agree. Goodwood will suit CC better though. In future I'd like to see DT ridden handy but not ridden right on, or making the the pace. The way he was ridden in France is probably the key to him.

There is not much strength in depth to the race . If RVW runs like he did at Ascot it is a penalty kick for CC.

I hope RVW is back to his best as I think it could turn out to be a magnificent race between the two.

What are the vibes re; Rip Van Winkle, his current price suggests he's not come on for Ascot in the manner connections might have hoped.

The price about Rip is so generous its actually off putting....but market support for the Ballydoyle horses can come late in the day so probably worth watching closely. O'Brien sounded pretty confident he had him near his best yesterday.

Back