Miling Division 2010

I do not think stamina was an issue today.

Not doubting CC and DT are someway ahead of the rest of the 3 year old milers - but I think if Rip is the horse of last year then he will be more than a handful for CC.

Has two very questionable performances to put behind him.

At the prices, I'd be siding with Premio Loco EW myself but it's not the strongest betting event.

Final Declarations - Ryan Moore rides Rip Van Winkle -

Beacon Lodge
Dream Eater (IRE)
Mac Love
Premio Loco (USA)
Rip Van Winkle (IRE)
Beethoven (IRE)
Canford Cliffs (IRE)
Encompassing (IRE)

Final Declarations - Ryan Moore rides Rip Van Winkle -

Beacon Lodge
Dream Eater (IRE)
Mac Love
Premio Loco (USA)
Rip Van Winkle (IRE)
Beethoven (IRE)
Canford Cliffs (IRE)
Encompassing (IRE)

One got the feeling AOB was waiting to hear whether DT was running.

Two horse race if the real RVW turns up - without him penalty kick for Canford Cliffs.

Has Heffernan been sidelined?

Not too long ago he was getting the high-profile rides in the absence of the the retained jockey (George Washington in the Eclipse etc.). Now it's O'Donoghue riding Cape Blanco in the King George.

Has Heffernan been sidelined?

Not too long ago he was getting the high-profile rides in the absence of the the retained jockey (George Washington in the Eclipse etc.). Now it's O'Donoghue riding Cape Blanco in the King George.

He fell out of favour with his paymasters after complaining about (and making public) his instructions on Fame & Glory after the Derby.

If laying the Derby winner in his next race isn't the bet of the season, a lay of Canford Cliffs at the prices might well be. A truly shocking price, for any number of reasons.

If laying the Derby winner in his next race isn't the bet of the season, a lay of Canford Cliffs at the prices might well be. A truly shocking price, for any number of reasons.

Only one winner though. If they were to tie him up and shoot him, I'd agree that might stop him.

Anything odds on about Canford is the worst price of the season.

The 3 year old milers dont look up to much. If Rip runs 4/5 pounds below last season, he can still win.

Anything odds on about Canford is the worst price of the season.

The 3 year old milers dont look up to much. If Rip runs 4/5 pounds below last season, he can still win.

I'm not aguing that no one will get rich on Canford's price (but that won't stop him winning) and on what they have done so far Rip would be entitled to win on his better form.

However, I'm not expecting Rip to be a worry in the world to Canford. I'm expecting Canford to improve again and establish himself as one of the class A milers we have seen.

Last edited:
Canford Cliffs - Most annoying horse of the punting season for me. Backed him in the Guineas then opposed him twice since.

Rip ran a shocker first time up but the way Fame and Glory was trained this year makes me wonder; there could be plenty of improvement in him and if there is the prices are all wrong. Canford will probably win by half the track if back Rip though!!!

Canford Cliffs - Most annoying horse of the punting season for me. Backed him in the Guineas then opposed him twice since.

Rip ran a shocker first time up but the way Fame and Glory was trained this year makes me wonder; there could be plenty of improvement in him and if there is the prices are all wrong. Canford will probably win by half the track if back Rip though!!!

:lol: ...it can be a bit like that can't it... probably more about the horses themselves than what we do though.

With Rip surely being the only credible alternative and O'Brien reckoning that he will need the run (And me not fancying him even if he were back to his best), isn't the 5/4 on not looking too bad for an improving Canford?

If ever there was a mortal lock this is probably it.

Last edited:
Who said he's improving?

His last run wasn't an improvement on his Irish Guineas win surely?

I'm not sure he's improving myself but I rate the three year old miler form higher than most and it'd take a leap of faith to be backing Rip against him, he's looked so flat on his last two runs. Exceptionally talented animal but when he's not shown that talent for ten months now, 5/2 is a shocking price. You can't even use the Ascot excuse for his last run as he's won there before.

The one for me is Premio Loco, from an unfashionable yard but he's ultra consistent and in good form and is arguably still on the upgrade even at his age. I'd rather back him EW than anything else, I took 7s with Antepost rules incase it went down to less than 8 runners and I'd happily go in again at 8/1 tomorrow at 1/4 odds. His performances don't put him far behind the principles on a line through the form of the beaten horses at Ascot.

He clearly had excuses in the Breeders Cup - blatently over the top. His last run was a bit disappointing alright but the market did not speak in his favour that day and his trainer was pretty downcast prior to that.

It will all depend on the market for me tomorrow - if the confidence is there I think he will account for CC. If not it looks easy peasy for CC.

CC is clearly an improving horse and the vibes are extremely strong. RVW will need to be at his best to give him a race let alone beat him.

Define clearly.

When have the vibes not been good from the Hannon camp on any single horse of theirs?

It will be interesting to see how much rope Hughes gives Rip Van Winkle. Presumably Rip Van Winkle will be ridden similar to last year, just behind his pacemaker and then taking it up and stretching the field. Beethoven will either be the second pacemaker or sit right out the back.

However impressive he has been, nothing Canford Cliffs has achieved matches Rip Van Winkle's form in this race last year. That form looks rock solid to my eye. That said, the general consensus amongst the shrewd Ballydoyle observers prior (probably giving Gal too much credit here...) was that they weren't likely to leave him short for the Queen Anne so we're left in a bit of a conundrum really.

Back