Monet's Garden fighting for his life

Lets hope he can dig deep and find that same fighting spirit he showed when racing. Best wishes for the old boy whom i've often called some names in the past as he invariably beat the one I backed, but a great horse all the same.

Not the sort of ailment you expect to hear of with these top horses, but I guess you always have to expect the unexpected. Come on, my beauty!

Awful news; wiped his last race off a tape by mistake yesterday, as well. Feel almost as bad as I did the day I heard Dessie had got colic. His owner adores him; dread to think how he feels at the moment. Lets hope he pulls through like Des.

Just read the write up in the Racing Post; it doesn't sound very hopeful, does it? I seem to remember a horse of Kim Baileys that got some spruce in it's coffin bone and it was impossible to save him. They're such fragile creatures in so many ways.

If there was any justice in the world the good Lord would see him through but then again he may want him as his hack but lets pray its the former.

I'm as big a fan of Monet's Garden as anyone, but can't help feeling our collective desire to see the lives of our equine heroes extended despite what may be debilitating circumstances speaks much more about our sense of insecurity than our love of animals. That's an observation of myself as much as anyone else and isn't meant to be a criticism of the sentiments expressed in this thread per se. I hope he's comfortable soon, in any case.

I agree with Rory.

BUT - I don't think anyone on this thread is expressing that Monet be kept alive despite some injury that would prevent him form having a normal life. His connections are wise.

I have everything crossed he recovers. Small yard and this horse means the world to them. We can always say 'this is only a horse, etc.' but these horses give hope and joy to a lot of people and many of us have had our lives brightened by them. Joy is never a thing to take lightly or not to be grateful for. :(

I agree with Rory.

BUT - I don't think anyone on this thread is expressing that Monet be kept alive despite some injury that would prevent him form having a normal life. His connections are wise.

I have everything crossed he recovers. Small yard and this horse means the world to them. We can always say 'this is only a horse, etc.' but these horses give hope and joy to a lot of people and many of us have had our lives brightened by them. Joy is never a thing to take lightly or not to be grateful for. :(
Well put, and a fair illustration of the flipside of my argument.

I hope he battles through but it doesn't sound good at all. The infection has been reported as having spread to the navicular bone and I'd suspect that what they're not telling us is that the pedal bone has rotated, in which case I'm afraid there is no option but to put him down.

Last edited:
Not necessarily terminal, Shadz. There are many cases of survival following rotation, but they may not want to put him through the months of treatment involving expensive vet bills, boots, magnesium, and special diets. Obviously, he's retired and won't work again, but if they want to keep him if he can be saved, it can be possible. The snag is that with any lasting deformation, if there is some, there's an imbalance in weight bearing, and a chance of laminitis flaring up in future.

Do we know what caused the infection to kick off?

Last edited:
He epitomises all that is good about NH racing. He also, I understand, has become very popular in the Dessie and Red Rum mould of opening fetes etc. We need equine ambassadors like him from time to time, and I think we all need some good news coming out of this season which, for the first time in my life, has made me almost want to walk away from the sport. However, I don't want a Barbaro situation, and that isn't going to happen anyway because his connections have the sense to know how far to go with all this, and enough love and respect for the horse to know when to give up. But they still need to know that they've done everything they can to save him; a very difficult balance and one that, as most owners of any sort of animal have found out over the years, is very difficult to get right. I know there are awful things happening in the world at the moment, but in a purely selfish way this is the story that I need so much to have a happy ending. With a lot of my equine heroes I've only realised when it's too late how much they mean to me, but Monets Garden has been a 'lump in the throat' horse for me ever since he started racing, as I always felt that One Man was looking down on him. I'm sorry to be so sentimental about him but, there it is, I can't help it.

Nicky Richards on ATR this morning, saying he's no worse, no better, but that he feels the horse is helping them as he's always been such a battler. As for what caused the infection to start, they have no idea. In fact, it seemed to be well under way by the time he started to show signs of lameness. Richards gave fulsome praise to the vet who's been treating Monet's, and thanked the masses of people who've been leaving messages of support both with the yard and through ATR (presumably also RUK). If best wishes could pull him through, he'd be better in the hour!

Moehat: there's no need to apologise for feeling emotional, believe me! I bawled my eyes out all day over HEART SPRINGS, who was no top drawer horse, but just one I had particularly taken to. Just like people, we feel the loss of some horses - or any animal we're smitten by - much more than others.

He epitomises all that is good about NH racing. He also, I understand, has become very popular in the Dessie and Red Rum mould of opening fetes etc. We need equine ambassadors like him from time to time, and I think we all need some good news coming out of this season which, for the first time in my life, has made me almost want to walk away from the sport. However, I don't want a Barbaro situation, and that isn't going to happen anyway because his connections have the sense to know how far to go with all this, and enough love and respect for the horse to know when to give up. But they still need to know that they've done everything they can to save him; a very difficult balance and one that, as most owners of any sort of animal have found out over the years, is very difficult to get right. I know there are awful things happening in the world at the moment, but in a purely selfish way this is the story that I need so much to have a happy ending. With a lot of my equine heroes I've only realised when it's too late how much they mean to me, but Monets Garden has been a 'lump in the throat' horse for me ever since he started racing, as I always felt that One Man was looking down on him. I'm sorry to be so sentimental about him but, there it is, I can't help it.

agree with every word, and couldnt have found any better ones. been following him from the word go, and so emotional about him. we went to see him one day after we got married, was nearly better than the wedding itself (hubby will forgive me!) . thanks for the post, moehat

It's always sad to lose a horse but this one has got into the hearts of so many race fans. At least now the yard will know how much he is appreciated, just sad that they are finding out under such awful circumstances.

I always think we must try very hard to remember to celebrate these horses, and all the people who make it possible for the racing public to know them.

a great battler on the track..hopefully he can win this battle too

the epitomy of a racehorse..all the traits i'm sure that all owners are looking for in a horse

I've not been able to enjoy NH properly since watching the death of the beloved One Man. His lovely trainer used to call him his little, bouncing, rubber ball and died not long after. I entirely understand the sentiment about One Man looking down on Monet's Garden and have no shame about being soppy.

Back