Mr. Byrnes

a strong deterrent is needed.

Or simply remove the avenue stable staff/trainers/others use. Do you think Mr O'Gorman could have walked up to a bookie and said "lay my €5 to that lad over there and I'll give you a 5% commission".

O'Gorman might not have Cantoris, but you'd be very naive to think that didn't happen pre-betfair.

As Grey suggests, a strong deterrent is a far more sinsible solution that banning betfair considering that the vast majority are using them in a non-corrupt fashion.

O'Gorman might not have Cantoris, but you'd be very naive to think that didn't happen pre-betfair.

As Grey suggests, a strong deterrent is a far more sinsible solution that banning betfair considering that the vast majority are using them in a non-corrupt fashion.

Yes I am well aware of what went on before betfair and also aware of how they were being weeded out. A strong deterrant should have been a lifetime ban from racing for O'Gorman.

I believe that Doyle told Byrnes where to go in the parade ring, saying that he wasn't going to risk getting banned...

Desert Orchid.

From Irish racing

-----------------------------------------

And yet the greatest penalty handed out in recent memory is from 2005 when the infamous case of Laetitia at Cork got her amateur jockey Michael Purcell a E2,000 fine with the horse banned for fifty days. Laetitia’s trainer Charles Byrnes expressed his dissatisfaction with Purcell’s ride and had that ‘noted’ by the racecourse stewards.

No one wants to see anyone hung out to dry but at the moment there’s little doubt that the penalties are not deterring anyone. Cases of non-triers might not be as plentiful as say a decade ago but anyone suggesting there still aren’t some blatant cases is being pitifully naïve.

------------------------------------------

Looks like Mr Byrnes was as unhappy as the rest of us that the stable outsider didn't beat the more fancied of the stables 2 runners:whistle:

Last edited:
Tom Doyle has not ridden for CB since that foggy day---he got some bollicking in the winners enclosure for winning --- was there and saw it---- Solwhit would have been a good thing for the Pierse if he had not won and gone up 14lbs to 141.
Am very disappointed the Turf Club left O'Gorman off with 4 months---- racing's image has to be worth more than that.

Last edited:
Am very disappointed the Turf Club left O'Gorman off with 4 months---- racing's image has to be worth more than that.

They should have "chased" the money back to see where the 8 grand came from:whistle:,like there's got to be a paper trail to his betfair A/C.

Laetitia - seeing is believing - I wonder what penalty would have been imposed for a ride like that over here . I remember being gobsmacked by it at the time .

Laetitia - seeing is believing - I wonder what penalty would have been imposed for a ride like that over here . I remember being gobsmacked by it at the time .

Strangled from the 2 f pole then a little crack of the stick about 100 yds out then an immediate pull on the reins,it was like a bad schooling bumper.

It could have been very expensive if you laid Laetitia that day,14/1 SP and god knows what price on the exchanges.

Good article, and nice to see someone deeply involved in the game, have the cojones to call it like it is.

Still want Solwhit to piss-up in the Champion, though. :lol:

Gary mustn't get many interviews from Byrnes then!!

I like Gary.....he was in the racing club in UCD with me and we have a pint now and again. Nice to see him throw it out there. A blind man can see it's a farce on behalf of the Turf Club but there is nothing new there with them. I had a go at them before Christmas re their communication (or lack thereof) to the public re inspections and this, once again, shows how out of touch they are with public opinion. Time for some fresh blood in the Turf Club.

If they follow it up with a 5 year ban (or something like it) for the person who is co-ordinating the 'stopping' of the horses than it won't look so bad.

My favourite bit is the jockey being ill and Byrnes wanting to replace him with Andy Mc. After the Laetitia affair he must think the Turf Club are dafter than they look.

In the context of a Ballinrobe maiden hurdle run in the month of May the horse was more then entitled to win the race.At his best he would be different class to the opposition.
Unfortunately I talked myself into laying him for a place.

Back