Murtagh at Ballydoyle

Fallon has done well to be 4th this year and especially if the Cumani/Johnston support continues he will be doing well enough - he may be nowhere near his old levels of popularity but he is hardly struggling.

One other thing to consider....if APOB is becoming "awkward"/"more attentive to detail"/"prescriptive about riding instructions"/take your pick, it is going to do wonders for family relations (brother-in-law to brother-in-law) when Pat rides a bad one or doesn't quite follow instructions to the letter of the law.

And sure Pat won't mind his nephew riding the odd favorite or two instead of him.... :)

My point is...there is a lot more downside than people appreciate to working in the Ballydoyle setup.

-D

Maybe it will be a case of best available then? Is the problem simply a dearth of good available jockeys or it is that Ballydoyle's now a location where angels fear to tread?

Weld rules Smullen out of the job.

One day in and the betting market is already turned upside down.

There will probably be a new favourite everyday.

I think Smullen was just put in as favourite for the sake of making someone favourite. At the end of the day he is too deeply rooted into Weld/Moyglare. There are a number of others in the list who should be a million. I still think Seamie Heffernan is the bet.

Robert Winston at 25s is my favourite, you could add about fourteen zero's onto that and I still wouldn't back him.

It's not quite as amusing as next year's King George and Arc markets though.

The worst discrepancy in the market is between Colm O'Donoghue and Seamie Heffernan. Colm is flavour of the month since being lauded in the press for his ride on Joshua Tree in the Canadian International. I would be embarrassed to have priced up O'Donoghue shorter in the betting

Current betting
Colm O'Donoghue 5/1 (William Hill, Stan James)
Seamie Heffernan 20/1 )Boylesports)

Group One wins
Colm O'Donoghue 4
Seamie Heffernan 11

Last 5 season GB & Ireland Group 1,2,3 record
Colm O'Donoghue 10-163 6%
Seamie Heffernan 28-248 11%

Last 5 seasons record for Aiden O'Brien in Ireland
Colm O'Donoghue 34-327 10%
Seamie Heffernan 180-914 19%

Last 5 seasons record for Aiden O'Brien in GB
Colm O'Donoghue 7-59 10%
Seamie Heffernan 2-42 5%

Heffernan has been below O'Donoghue this year in the pecking order. I can't see why he'd move from No.2 to No.3 (or No.4) then suddenly become No. 1. That said, maybe his move down the ladder had nothing to do with race riding and his punishment will end with the end of the season.

Heffernan has been below O'Donoghue this year in the pecking order. I can't see why he'd move from No.2 to No.3 (or No.4) then suddenly become No. 1. That said, maybe his move down the ladder had nothing to do with race riding and his punishment will end with the end of the season.

I dont have an answer to that. In my mind the difference bewteen being No. 2 and No. 3 is non existant. Is there any obvious big race ride that Colm got over Seamie that I am forgetting?

Richard Hughes anywhere in the betting??

He is around 14/1. I think he is too much of a maverick for the job. Richard Hannon was on heart attack watch with some of his "won on the bridle - winning distance a neck" rides this season.

Is there any obvious big race ride that Colm got over Seamie that I am forgetting?

Cape Blanco in the King George. Heffernan obviously rode him at Leopardstown but that was probably only because O'Donoghue was at Haydock to ride Starspangledbanner.

I dont have an answer to that. In my mind the difference bewteen being No. 2 and No. 3 is non existant. Is there any obvious big race ride that Colm got over Seamie that I am forgetting?

Midas Touch v At First Sight in the Derby was another (despite the result)

I don't think there's much doubt that O'Donoghue had leap frogged Heffernan.

The more I think about it if it's not going to be O'Donoghue , Buick is the man (or boy) . They need a settled team and someone that can be moulded. The older guys are to set in there ways (nothing wrong with that) Buick has the talent and appears to have the temperment.

Back