Murtagh at Ballydoyle

Not sure how available Soumi actually was though Brendan - he was attached to Rouget's stable which to me seemed an odd association given that Soumi is away for the first 3 months of the year, the time when the Rouget stable traditionally has a large number of winners (ridden as always by Ioritz Mendizabal).

Guess that association came to an end rather quickly then.

Heffernan has more Group 1 experience. I think they might use both and therefore Heffernan will be No. 1.

Last edited:
Never saw the Rouget/Soumillon relation as anything else than sort of a stop gap measure, mostly for Soumi. As you say Rouget has loads of runners in the first four months of the year when Soumi is not around. The work with the Wildenstein horses will suit Soumi's riding schedule perfectly and if they decide to have a runner or two in Hong Kong at the end of the year so much the better. Rouget and Mendizabal is a perfect working relationship imo.

Heffernan has more Group 1 experience. I think they might use both and therefore Heffernan will be No. 1.

Would that experience make him the better jockey though? I think not. Also was there not some sort of "atmospheric disturbance" between Heffernan and O'Brien about some statements the former made after a particular race?

Wonder how long they are going to take to make this decision?

His Group 1 experience will make it more likely. They could revert to using Heffernan and O' Donoghue in Ireland and the best available abroad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to put this across the right way. Heffernan and O'Donoghue have very comfortable roles. If they make a balls of a ride, it doesn't have a huge impact on the season. But if one is stable jock then any errors would increase simply by riding in more Group 1 and the pressure must rise. Are you sure you want these two guys coming down the hill at Epsom, riding five of yours at Royal Ascot etc etc. I know they have ridden group 1 winners all over the place but generally on second strings where the pressure if off them.

This job needs a wise old head who can handle the pressure and manage the people. Could Tony McCoy get down to 8.10 :)

But who? If they won't have Fallon, Soumillion's unavailable, Heffernan/O'Donaghue are solid second strings, Moore's turned it down, and Hughes may not/won't take it, then who's left? Peslier? I wouldn't have thought personally that Smullen was a jockey in the same bracket.

For a stable that trusts Joesph O'Brien to ride one when the money is down its not hard to see them giving Hefferman first choice in Ireland.

Smullen has to get this job - serious jockey - strong - excellent communicator - team player - professional - brother in law - not a huge pile coming through the ranks in Rosewell - Colm O Donoghue as his no 2 Seamie no 3 and Joseph as assistant trainer next year.

Last edited:
But who? If they won't have Fallon, Soumillion's unavailable, Heffernan/O'Donaghue are solid second strings, Moore's turned it down, and Hughes may not/won't take it, then who's left? Peslier? I wouldn't have thought personally that Smullen was a jockey in the same bracket.

They wouldn't offer it to Hughes and he wouldn't take it if they did.

Since when did being a brother in law count for anything? I'd imagine Pat Smullen is very gratfull to his current connections. He has never been one for outside rides and I would not even have him in the betting.

Last edited:
Since when did being a brother in law count for anything? I'd imaine Pat Smullen is very gratfull to his current connections. He has never been one for outside rides and I would not even have him in the betting.

Pat Smullen has ridden in 605 races this year winning 91 times - DK Weld has had 49 winners from 425 runners - so to say he hasn't been one for outside rides doesn't stack - I am not saying he will definitely get the job but I strongly believe his is the best around - being related to the firm hasn't hurt young Joseph!! ;)

I was not specific enough in my post. Smullen never picks up outside rides in Group races. He is 2/1 because he is mildly related. I doubt he will even be considered for the job.

I'd be surprised if Smullen gets it. Not in the same boat as Kinane when he left Weld. Kinane had proved him as the super sub, an international pilot. Smullen has another five years to go to get that and needs to get more group 1 rides for Ballydoyle. I could see him getting the job in three years. Peslier would be interesting. Ticks all the boxes. old head, top class jock. Would they consider giving him number one outside of Ireland and split the rest between Heffernan and O'Donoghue? Maybe get Smullen in some times. What doesn't help Weld is that Leigh Roche is too young to come through so will he snap up Gary Carroll before someone else does? Could Murtagh then take over in Halford's yard. Musical chairs again!! How about Spencer to take over at Welds after riding for him in Leopardstown!!!

Surely given today's news Peslier wouldn't be wanting to give up the ride on Goldikova and I can't see in all honesty Ballydoyle would agree to him riding her if they had something suitable to race against her.

Whatever happens , wish him well. i really like JM as a person and jockey

I cant see KF returning. it wasnt the happiest relationship on a personal basis was it?

The striking thing is that there are no obvious candidates.

Going back 30 years when Stoute snapped up Swinburn ,Cecil sacked Mercer and Pat Eddery went to MVOB with Mercer replacing him at Walwyns - there were only two candidates for the Cecil job - Piggott and Cauthen and Piggott got the job . Cauthen then got the job after the Piggott/Wildenstein fall out.

Now - where are the top jockeys who would be the obvious candidates ??? The obvious one turned the job down !

Last edited:
Not Dettori, Hughes, Moore, R. Hills, Jimmy Fortune, Kieren Fallon, Tom Queally, Chris Soumillon, Ollie Peslier or any other top French pilots, and I think we can discount any Japanese. Presumably no-one from Oz or South Africa. Seb is tied to Sir Mark. Would they think of trying to lure William Buick, or does he feel tied by gratitude to where he is?

Others are probably too old, like Jimmy Quinn, albeit a damn fine horseman. Others like George Baker or Chris Catlin, both very good, but probably still too untested at the top levels.

What about Eddie Ahern?

Personally I would fully expect Fallon to return to Ballydoyle. He is struggling over here, a lot of yards won't use him and JP is starting to be more popular to Cumani.

Hannagan?

I think it is a difficult situation, McEvoy would be interesting but will remain in Australia.

I think they will not have a stable jockey next seasona nd can use Hefferman, Fallon, Ryan Moore and Soumillon when they are available and depending on the country of the group races.

Hanagan wouldn't move to Ireland I think.

Fallon has a relatively quiet life over here and would think he would be wise and keep it that way.

Jimmy Fortune?

I think they will not have a stable jockey next seasona nd can use Hefferman, Fallon, Ryan Moore and Soumillon when they are available and depending on the country of the group races.

Quite possible but surely not a situation they would have wanted, espceially given AOB's attention to detail

It does seem all a bit like a real falling out.

Back