Murtagh at Ballydoyle

Soumi has signed a contract in France this year with some owner (forget the name).

As far as I am aware Murtagh is definitely gone but I do not know why but I can guess. Ryan Moore has been offered the sun, moon and stars but is not interested in moving to Ireland.

I would add the Cantoris put this up some time back - how useless is the Racing Press that this has only been in the Racingpost since Saturday?

I think they might go with Fallon again, they are quite a forgiving lot. After all, he never let them down on the racecourse, right up to the very end with Dylan Thomas in the Arc. Perhaps he might just ride the big races, so he can remain based in the UK.

They would never take Fallon back - not after him stating that M Stoute was the best trainer he had ever ridden for - I have heard these rumours since July of this year and dont believe them - so young Joseph is getting a chance to win the apprentice title - Murtagh couldnt give a fiddlers about the Irish Championship anyway - what price Murtagh to stay to the end of 2011 at least??

I had the question answered about month ago from someone very close to Murtagh. I got it confirmed around 2 weeks ago from someone very close to Ryan Moore that he has turned the job down after it was offered to him. Easy to say something like this on a forum but unless there has been a major turn about in the last couple of weeks (Murtagh's no comment suggests there hasn't been) then Murtagh is gone.

Technically, he hasn't resigned. He's just not renewing his contract with Ballydoyle for next year, which is different.

I'd say Johnny found AOB too difficult to work with. He saw out his contract and proved he could do the job successfully but at this stage of his career he'd rather be enjoying what he does. He's the sort of person who needs congenial company and I'd imagine he'll stay close to home.

I can see plenty of freelance rides on the big days in England coupled with regular rides for some of the Curragh yards. Fran Berry might be a touch concerned.

Soumillon signed contract with the guys who owned Goldikova. It was reported on the weekender a couple of weeks ago.

They are definitely more patient now. Crastus didn't do a bad job imo he just was not up to the level on a few of the Planteur rides. They most likely would have continued the association but when a jockey the caliber of Soumillon is available you have to snap him up.

Don't think you have much chance scoring with any of those. Unless he does a 180 Soumi is definitely out, Heffernan is nowhere near what is required there and Fallon, just cant see it for various reasons, although he surely could fill the position strictly based on ability. Why not O'Donoghue? Tactically astute, strong enough in a finish and I'm sure he'd meet the necessary requirement of being a "team player".

Back