Murtagh at Ballydoyle

Heffernan should be around 50/1. No chance based on his ability and what has happened in the last year, with Donoghue clearly the preference when Murtagh isnt up. Not only that, but you may not even get paid out if they have him ride in Ireland and best available abroad.

I think it's a market to avoid based on my last point.

^ Killjoy. Get Involved.

If Ballydoyle came out and said they are definitely appointing a stable jockey, I would, but it would be very frustrating to back a jockey (eg, Heffernan) and still not get paid out because others ride abroad.

What's the small print?

"Next stable jockey" - If he were to appoint O'Donoghue and/or Heffernan as his retained riders in Ireland while using the best available abroad they would technically be the stable jockey. With so many in the list having zero chance of taking or being offered the job the above situation is not that unlikely.

I have heard that Smullen was offered the job but his relationship with O'Brien is not good.

If he were to appoint O'Donoghue and/or Heffernan as his retained riders

He already has. There may be no announcement if the situation above prevails. A bookmaker won't pay out on no announcement.

There will be an announcement. That you can be 100% sure of that.

Last edited:
They might make an announcement that there will be no immediate announcement but an announcement will be made when a decision will be made or when an announcement is likely.

Moehat: love the thought of that interview!

"Well, Ryan, you must be terribly excited to be going to work for one of the world's most dynamic and successful organisations, with a real chance to enrich your international status even further, not to mention automatic first pick of their best?"

"Uhhh."

"And Aidan - what a fabulous young man to have onside! He comes from a marvellous racing family, has a youngster of his own, so should fit in with the O'Brien clan in so many different ways. Why, you might even all go on holiday together! You must be truly delighted to have Ryan coming to ride for you?"

"Holidays?"

If Coolmore have an eye on the future than Buick is there man/boy.

You see that's where I think the problem is. We look at this as being a long-term job, one where you want to nurture the lad through a year or two and he'll repay you with loyalty and winners down the line, probably picking up a few in the first year and maybe losing a few too.

Problem is that Coolmore's long-term view is next November and their short-term view is next April. That's it. If the new jock cannot deliver results in the first year, there will be trouble. they generally only last three to four years. Ballydoyle is not a training ground for jocks, it's a production line for group 1 winners. Your parole is a few months and then if you're not up to it you're doomed. As Spencer found out. That's why I think they will not go for a young jock like Buick unless they run out of older choices. I'm not sure Moore would last that long in the job. It's gonna be completely different to what he is doing now, where he has loyal and patient owners and trainers.

And to muddy the waters further....

Arnold a chance to stick with Think
By Warwick Barr
16:56 AEST Wed Nov 10 2010

Northern hemisphere-bound So You Think could yet have an Australian playing a central role in a 2011 overseas racing campaign.

As he confirmed the sale of the two-time Cox Plate winner had been finalised on Tuesday, Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien said there was still a chance the glamour galloper's spring jockey Steven Arnold could retain the prized ride in Europe.

"We saw his races and saw the rides that Steven had given him and he has been a big part of the horse," O'Brien told Sky Sports Radio.

"I think he has been incredibly good on him as he has been able to steady him with him being a very pacy, athletic sort of horse.

"He has been able to relax him and he has done an incredible job riding him."

Trainer Bart Cummings booked Arnold for the So You Think ride ahead of a spring campaign that reaped a second Cox Plate win as well three other Group One victories.

The campaign ended with an honourable third to Americain in the Melbourne Cup - 24 hours before a deal with Coolmore Stud became public.

Coolmore, the Irish breeding and racing conglomerate with a strong presence in Australia who bought a controlling interest in the entire from Dato Tan Chin Nam, retains O'Brien as its Ballydoyle trainer.

News of the sale has been described as a major loss for Australian racing and came as one of the biggest disappointments in Cummings' distinguished career.

Arnold, who enjoyed Royal Ascot success last year on crack sprinter Scenic Blast, firmed as a potential 2011 jockey for So You Think after it was announced Ballydoyle rider Johnny Murtagh had severed ties with Coolmore.

He has also been mentioned in dispatches as a possible replacement for Murtagh with a British bookmaker offering 12-1 about Arnold securing a Ballydoyle contract.

So You Think is expected to head overseas with Coolmore's shuttle stallions at the end of the Australian breeding season.

"We will start to get him ready in the (northern hemisphere) spring but obviously all the big races are open to him at Ascot, the Prince of Wales, the King George, all those races are open to him and you would want to go for the Arc after that," O'Brien said.

"It looks like with what we have seen of him he can go in at any depth in any race.

I do not see any of the ex Ballydoyle jockeys (Fallon etc) being in the equation at all.

Very hard one to call who will get it but very easy to rule out the majority - my hunch is with Moore saying no they might try and use O'Donoghue as a stop gap. Starspangledbanner, Joshua Tree and Cape Blanco all abroad suggest they are happy enough to put him on their top horses outside of Ireland.

Soumillion has the name and brand they would want but he is a pretty risky proposition.

Bar, really? You don't think Soumi is just a little unlikely to take to regimentation? He's also struck me as his own man in races - not sure that Aidan's furlong-by-furlong master plans would be kept to, especially if he thought (which I'm sure he would) that he could do it so much better.

Back