Murtagh at Ballydoyle

But Bar, all good business practice aside, do you really see Aidan adapting to a slightly wild card? Every indication is that he needs total control. That means employing compliant people or others with O/C traits. Those aren't features I'd ever attribute to the ebullient Soumi. This won't be only about which jockey works with Aidan, but how Aidan can work with the jockey, too.

Last edited:
Stranger and stranger....just up on the Racing Post website. :confused:

France: Johnny Murtagh will ride Recital for Aidan O'Brien in Saturday's Criterium de Saint-Cloud.

RELATED LINKS
Full racecard
The Ballydoyle trainer has two other runners with Colm O'Donoghue aboard Obligation and Seamus Heffernan on Exodus.

There will be 11 runners in the Group 1 event including the Mick Channon-trained Rigolleto who will be partnered by Olivier Peslier.

One of the favourites will be Prairie Star who is owned by the Wildenstein stable. The colt will be ridden by Anthony Crastus.

Murtagh is riding him and the Ballydoyle Dundalk horses tomorrow - that was announced on the statement Murtagh issued.

Er, did you mean 'compatible', Bar, or did you get a Freudian over-ride there with 'combatable'?! I'd go for the latter, myself!

I presume Murtagh is going to finish out the season riding for Ballydoyle. The announcement said he won't be renewing his contract, not that he has resigned.

I don't mean it in a nasty way - just that JM might think, oh heck, the lad will be getting more and more rides as they develop him, I might as well just go freelance and suit myself what rides I want to take.

Murtagh riding in France Saturday for APOB,can't help feeling the parting is a big mistake for both sides.

Last edited:
Regarding Joshua Tree, looks like just a share has been sold. He is now registered as owned by Derrick Smith, Mrs John Magnier, Michael Tabor and Khalifa Bin Hamad Al Attyah.

Think he is due to head out to Hong Kong or Japan - and not confirmed but do not think he will be racing for O'Brien next season.

One of my colleagues at Lingfield today told me that there'd been a recent article in the Daily Mail asserting that JM had been a bit hacked off with AOB bringing Joseph on apace, and that it was felt that this was a likely spur to his decision to not stay on. I've no idea if that's so or not, but interesting that a newspaper has got hold of that.

Back