Net Migration UP!!

"On that basis you would have more immigration from rich countries than poor. Not quite the case is it?"

Now you're getting into extremes. Why would someone from an affluent Country move to a **** hole? Is that what you're saying, as I'd agree, but you'll find most people want like for like, or something very similar. A housing crash makes that impossible.

lets look at the migrant portugeese population in Lambeth

27000. Huge number

And house owners? in lambeth? Very very few

I would venture that out of any migrating population the number who own their own homes (and i know a portugeese lady verywell who does own a big property at home but works and rents here as it happens) is small. Its naturally the case isnt it?

Last edited:
Portuguese population in Aberdeen 18. :)

All I'm saying is, you're not looking at the whole picture. What I've said is an element of it. There will be many other factors, though I still say property price will have had a large influence during the years being discussed.

Why do you think there'd have been more people renting their home in Portugal than elsewhere, or more people that move to a Country 'outside' of the EU (big move) are renters again? The majority of people leaving the EU for AUS or US for example, will be selling up and starting a new life. There will of course be kids going on working holidays, but I doubt they'd have been included in the stats as they'll be on short working visa's and won't have emigrated.

As I said, it all looks too coincidental with the respective housing markets during that time frame. The Swiss and Italian scenario really added to my perception of that being the case.

lets look at this then

why migrate? biggest reason?

to find work

swiss unemployment rate 2013 3.5 %
italian 12.5%

now it may have been different in 2009 but i would guess not by much. And yet the stats tell us that an italian is 8 times less likely to emigrate

could argue it could be nearly four times the other way round

which in that case would mean that the stats are askew by a factor of ... 32x

Last edited:
The chances of coming to the US or AUS to 'find work' are next to zero.
You simply wouldn't get in, unless you had a job lined up, or you had plenty of money, in either case you wouldn't be looking for work.

I'm sure you'll agree with me that it's easier to get work while working than while unemployed.

The unemployed figures can be viewed with my original take on this. The higher the unemployment figure, the lower the house price (the two go hand in hand). You'll also be looking at a higher percentage of people with negative equity, who have become trapped.

This was indeed the case in Potugal, followed by some in Spain. They were Ex pats who had become trapped, with their properties worth a fraction of what they paid. Though they only wanted to move back to the UK, so doesn't really count. However, to do so would have meant losing everything. It would have been no different for anyone else, especially if they wanted to sell up and leave the EU entirely, which incurs greater costs.

Ok but I don't agree. Migration is more likely with high unemployment nit the other way round and you can move freely within the eu regardless of aus and us

You have to admit the ratios are wild. Not feasible at all. What is the biggest issue is that (like Greece) doesn't anyone question this stuff in the eu? Just accept ? What's the point of that?

You can see why they lost the plot totally with Greece now (and elsewhere)

Last edited:
My point is in total regard to the US and AUS. Flitting about between EU Countries wasn't my point at all.

From my own personal experience and that of the wifes (on two separate occasions), plus basically everyone I've spoken with baring kids on working permits. House price and exchange rates are the most important consideration when emigrating outside of the EU, which is what the 2007 - 2011 chart was about.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
clivex, you're blundering about the place not knowing what you're talking about.

Go to that fourth table I linked to again. You can see that 409,034 people left Spain in 2011. Now go the Citizen box, click on the plus sign and select 'Reporting country' from the pop-up menu. The figure reduces to 55,473. The first figure is the number of people leaving Spain, and the second one is the number of Spanish people leaving Spain. Big difference, isn't it?

Now repeat the exercise with Portugal. Here on the other hand almost all those leaving POrtugal are Portuguese: 41,444 out of 43,998.

This leaves your scoffing argument, based on population ratios, that the Portuguese figures are underreported wedged a long way up your you know where.

Last edited:
So one eight of people emigrating from Spain were Spanish but virtually all emigrating from Portugal were portugeese

Something like 13% against 80%?

Yeah right

Back