New Approach vs Duke Of Marmalade

Guest_

At the Start
Ok its not York(so get it off that thread), not in soft/heavy ground...

Duke Of Marmalade for me, by around 2-3 lengths. I hope they ride New Approach aggressively and set it up for Duke Of Marmalade's turn of foot.

From a ground point of view it has gone Ballydoyle`s way all year long. It didn`t rain at Royal Ascot until after Henry and DoM had won their races and despite a really wet July it was dry just long enough for fast ground in the King George. I`ve backed New Approach thinking the ground will be on the easy side on tuesday but i`m starting to think it will swing the Duke`s way again.

With fast ground looking a certainty it is quite remarkable how fortune has favoured the Coolmore boys once again. I don`t want New Approach to run in this on a firm surface. I`d sooner he prepped for the Arc in the Foy.

No bet for me.
I think DOM has been there and done it -- NA has it yet to do it.
Living in hope he's actually the 'brilliant' one.

Tactics & jockeys permitting of course.

The going is now Good after 5 mls of rain. No excuses.

Agreed. Although this match-up reminds me of Fantastic Light and yourself in a big way. Galileo was (just) the better animal for me but couldn`t beat the former over 10F. I`ll want 7/2 on NA to get involved. Whatever happens i`d like them to meet in the Arc.

An interesting little side-issue to this; if DoM wins, Rock of Gibraltar's consecutive Group 1 record is in range.

Championship Point (IRE)Edward Creighton
Duke of Marmalade (IRE)J. Murtagh
Halicarnassus (IRE)Tony Culhane
Multidimensional (IRE)T. P. Queally
Phoenix Tower (USA)Ted Durcan
PipedreamerSeb Sanders
Red Rock Canyon (IRE)C. O'Donoghue
Rob Roy (USA)Ryan Moore
Cat Junior (USA) N. Callan
New Approach (IRE)K. J. Manning
Stubbs Art (IRE)Alan Munro

I don't think in truth there is much between the horses, but Murtagh is the better jockey - inc tactically, and has ridden the course far more often, and knows the other jocks far better. That should give him the edge.

The ground should be perfect for racing, we've had enough rain to take the sting out, but not enough for it to be anywhere near sticky let alone soft. Off there in a minute for the 'hors' d'oevres' - let's hope there is somewhere to park LOL!

There will be more between them than difference in the jockeys (which ever way the result goes) in my opinion.

Backing Phoenix Tower for a place, those two can scrap out for first and i'll happily watch with a nice 3rd in my back pocket.

On temperament Duke of Marmalade would win. NA may be his own worst enemy. My preference is for The Duke, but NA is an exceptionally talented horse.

I think both DOM and New Approach are exceptional horses - I'm very torn in wanting them both to win!

DOM has done that extraordinary thing in coming back after serious injury and winning several Group 1s, whilst NA has been a little unlucky this season in not winning more than he has. I'm pretty sure DOM will prevail though

I think this is a race for an each way bet.New Approach is returning from an injury and tomorrow might not be the big day.The International has always been a graveyard for favourites and I think part of the reason is its close proximity to the King George-maybe tomorrow will be too soon for the Duke to reproduce his best.

On behalf of the Irish Nation, please accept the gift of this race with our blessing. Although I am sure Pipedreamer V Phoenix Tower would be an equally exciting G1.

This time last week Id have advocated taking the 3/1 about New Approach. However, his head carriage on fast ground in the Irish Guineas makes me wonder if he'll appreciate fast ground tomorrow. The odds will decide the issue for me but I'm leaning towards the Jook.

Back