New Approach vs Duke Of Marmalade

Why have they changed the distance of the race?
Well there's not much difference. Last year it was 1m2.5f, this year it's 1m2f. Presumably, that is because Newmarket only start races at 1m2f, and don't have a 1m2.5f start.

I'm encouraged back towards New Approach by the report that they were making "quite a print" yesterday and that the fast times were on account of the strong tail wind.

My only bet so far, though, is a big EW at 8/1 about Stubbs Art w/o the big two. I still have faith in his Guineas runs.

I will be really interested to see Duke Of Marmalade in the parade ring today. Before the King George I mentioned on here he looked to be carrying plenty of condition, Willoughby suggests today that O'Brien eased off his Royal Ascot horses expecting him to strip much sharper today.

Euro the ground at Newmarket was good to firm, the going at The Curragh was FIRM.

Both horses have just been shown in the pre-parade run. New Approach looks in great terms with himself and as you would expect with a Bolger horse he looks hard and fit.

Duke Of Marmalade to my eye (and it is hard to tell on TV) looks a great deal sharper and leaner than at Ascot.

I'd be interested to see if there's any come back on that. RRC clearly moved over to let DoM through, and then appeared to force Phoenix into a near crash. Would need to see a few angles first to see if it isn't my imagination though

I'd be interested to see if there's any come back on that. RRC clearly moved over to let DoM through, and then appeared to force Phoenix into a near crash. Would need to see a few angles first to see if it isn't my imagination though

It is cheating

How on earth would he have settled him today with no cover? The horse is a nut case.

People complained about the forceful ride in the Guineas and now they are complaining about him being held up!

I think you will find the rider of Phoenix Tower was in the wrong...pushing Red Rock Canyon out!

O'Donoghue came off the rail but only after making sure he was not coming out on any other horse.

If Red Rock Canyon was not in the race, the pace of the race would have put New Approach through a rail or something!

How foolish of me to think DOM would get any credit after this race....its was Manning and O'Donoghues fault!

Last edited:
I hope after this race DOM will finally get the credit he deserves.

Maybe not Gal - but I think this is a shame. I said NA would be his own worst enemy and he is. The Duke has such a great attitude and it makes a massive difference. For me it is much more pleasurable watching him race than seeing NA throw a race away.

Also, again, all credit to connections for bringing DOM back. :cool:

Well done to Chris for saying Phoenix Tower would get a place - he ran his heart out, lovely horse!

he will get the credit from me Gal

a superb performance..will take a good one to beat him at 10...not sure about 12 ...we know he doesn't like getting passed...super tough

Back