New Approach vs Duke Of Marmalade

Fifth Group 1 on the bounce, off not an ideal prep. Strong field, with a great run from the second. Plenty of credit deserved.

I'd be interested to see if there's any come back on that. RRC clearly moved over to let DoM through, and then appeared to force Phoenix into a near crash. Would need to see a few angles first to see if it isn't my imagination though

Admittedly I only saw it a couple of times (stuck with Channel 4 today), but it looked to me that Durcan deliberately took Phoenix Tower towards the far rail to avoid a scrap with Duke Of Marmalade.

I was surprised Murtagh held on to Duke Of Marmalade so long to be honest. Horse of the season for me.

New Approach ran a creditable race to keep on nicely for third, having totally blown his chance in the first quarter mile.

Good team tactics
RRC allwong the rails

DOM not in the same form of the PofW and I dont think he will post a better than 125 in the rest of the season, nice horse but not as good as Dylan Thomas.

New Approach, good running, a pity they are not able to settle him , has an engine but is not able to put everything in the correct place, still can win another race in the season.

Phoenix Tower run a nice race , solid marker.

Duke of Marmalade had every reason to lose that race today in a hard enough final furlong but yet again he pulled out what was required -all credit to the horse.Five Group 1's on the bounce -he will always beat the Phoenix Towers and Papal Bulls of this world when it really matters.
For me the story of the race was New Approach.Manning looked after the horses long term interests by not getting in a battle with Red Rock Canyon.He was running on nicely at the death and must be a serious contender for the Arc.I would like to see him give the Irish Champion a miss and Bolger to buy a top class pacemaker.

care to explain that Luke?

Because you are usually far more rational, and calling Manning an idiot when he was clearly employing pre planned race tactics (on a headstrong horse) that were successful in the Derby.

If he had of ridden him handy he would have pulled his chance away, instead the horse dropped the bit after a couple of furlongs. Just not good enough.

Still not completely convinced one way or another. O'Donohuge looks to his left first to ensure that he's not coming out onto anything, then about 5 secs later takes an exaggerated look to his right that suggests he's saying something to Murtagh before moving out to let DoM up the inner. He then appears to try and move back to his position which would have had the effect of blocking Phoenix. For his part Durcan appears to try and follow DoM through and a minor incident (probably closer to a near miss) ensues. I can't tell whether Phoenix has headed him, but RRC appears to have to check his stride slightly, which would suggest he has a marginal advantage. Phoenix then appears to hang to his left and run to the other side.

Don't think anyone could argue it affected the result anymore than you could say New Approach would have charged the rail without RRC. At the very most they might have grounds to chat with the jockeys, but it's not exactly result altering or even 1 day ban territory I'd have thought.

DOM not in the same form of the PofW
Not sure about that, sunybay. Phoenix Tower was stuck wide in the early stages of the Prince Of Wales's and pulled a touch that day as well (was his first run over 10f). He has probably improved since Ascot IMO and that, along with the fact that he got a better run today accounts (mostly) for his improvement on the collateral form.

Last edited:
Lads lets just keep it on the racing topic...

DOM goes next to the Irish Champion....wonder will many of the Brits come over.

New Approach had a tough race today with that race in mind in just a couple of weeks time.

I hope Bolger gives Leopardstown a miss.New Approach could be a serious player for the Arc.

I have a convert;)..better at 12f than 10f..would you agree Luke?

I hope Bolger gives Leopardstown a miss.New Approach could be a serious player for the Arc.

I have a convert;)..better at 12f than 10f..would you agree Luke?

I would say probably but not definitely.The Arc is 6 weeks tomorrow -Leopardstown is in 2 weeks time.Leave the Duke win at Leopardstown -the Arc is the race to win.

I was roaring at the tele, i thought for a mo Phoenix was gonna get up. Without being bias, okay maybe a bit cus Phoenix Tower is my fav horse by a country mile but I think had Ted had the rail and Duke in the middle I think Phoenix would have won.

I really think today Phoenix Tower has shown why I have continously hyped him up and in a way I'm glad he split the big two when he was flying at home, as had they not turned up people would have only said he would have been a remote 3rd. I had a big ew at 14s and also had a big bet on the place, plus a nice bet on at 11/4 without the big two.

I really thought today could be his day, but I think he will give the Duke a real race in the Champion again, he really needs quick ground this horse, but a better horse beat him and I can handle that. I do think PT deserved more credit for his achievements than he has got so far and hopefully this genuinely proves he is a genuine group 1 horse.

Back