New Approach vs Duke Of Marmalade

How come they post a rating after the race and than when a horse is entered that could be a lot higher. Is it a revised opinion ?

Eton Fable for example, got 78 after his last run in chester,but beside his entry this evening in Ripon he has an rpr of 85 ?

I was thinking that may be it but he only ran on thursday and nothing else in the race has run since. Unless they take into account the form of other races that went on since and how that reflected on runners behind Eton in this race.

are the OR's on a different scale to RPR's?

would it be fair to say that a horse like Brigadier Gerard would been getting RPR's of 140..similar to his Timeform rating

RPR and Timeform are same scale? ...we had this discussion a while ago

RPRs and ORs are on the same scale, RPRs are just generally higher on average.

Edit: the top horses, anyway - can't speak for those lower down the class scale.

I was thinking that may be it but he only ran on thursday and nothing else in the race has run since. Unless they take into account the form of other races that went on since and how that reflected on runners behind Eton in this race.

I noticed that looking at the race too, as I follow the yard and I know they like the colt. It's quite mystifying sometimes how they arrive at their figures. They're not to be taken as gospel for sure. Maybe they took on board Bill'[s comments [?? before the race] that the horse had had his problems, now pretty sorted? Who knows! :cool:

The RPR people quite often allow themselves the benefit of hindsight to change ratings, and quite right too.

But in the case of Eton Fable there is a simpler explanation. The raw RPR of 128 is linked to a weight of 10-0, whereas he was carrying only 9-7 tonight, hence the adjusted RPR for tonight's race of 135.

The rating hasn't been adjusted at all, it's the same number expressed in a different way as Grey points out.

The RPRs shown on the racecards are the optimal ratings for each horse based on the weight they are being asked to carry, which is intended to allow comparison with the other horses in the race.

On the other hand, when clicking on a horse's name on the racecard the RPRs shown for its previous runs are based on the 10-0 benchmark, which allows one run to be compared with another.

Back