New Approach

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
6/1 for the Derby now on Betfair. I think people are getting twitchy because little information about the colt is forthcoming from Bolger`s yard and Teofilo is still fresh in the mind.

He`s close to being a backable price now.

It seems to me rather than there being negative vibes regarding New Approach it is simply a case of no vibes/reports at all from his camp!! People are talking the silence as a negative thing….but its hard to be sure with someone like Bolger.

I agree Gal, there where negative murmurings for some time before the truth was known about Teofilo, this silence is more.... positive :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Melendez@Apr 18 2008, 08:04 AM
Would it not be more suitable to discuss New Approach within the 2000 Guineas thread?
Not really, i`m more interested in his Derby prospects.

And yet you felt the need to make a similar comment when Colin started a thread on Raven's Pass's prospects in the Craven. "I`m struggling to understand" the difference.

On seeing a rerun of the Dewhurst this week I was struck with how hard a race New Approach was subjected to---Manning did not spare the whip in the last furlong. It may leave it's mark!!
Thriving is the report from an inside reliable source.

Originally posted by Melendez@Apr 18 2008, 11:04 AM
And yet you felt the need to make a similar comment when Colin started a thread on Raven's Pass's prospects in the Craven. "I`m struggling to understand" the difference.
We already had a 2000 Guineas thread and indeed a topic devoted to Raven`s Pass that was on the second page i believe and wasn`t that old.

The thread i opened was relevent more to the Derby than the Guineas and even then i conducted a search prior to opening it. The only topic i could find titled New Approach was from October and had two replies.

There are too many threads relating to the same issues on the forum imo. I`m pretty sure we had two on the Grand National running at the same time. Just seems a bit of a waste really.

Originally posted by Euronymous@Apr 18 2008, 10:54 AM
The thread i opened was relevent more to the Derby than the Guineas ...

There are too many threads relating to the same issues on the forum imo. I`m pretty sure we had two on the Grand National running at the same time. Just seems a bit of a waste really.
Agreed, could people please try to make sure that there isn't already a suitable thread for their comments? The problem with having all these bitty threads is that topics fall down the page very quickly and that just leads to yet more new threads....

Euro no doubt we'll have a Derby thread going as soon as the Guineas is over, and we can discuss the relevant/same horses' chances for the big one on there

It really does help to keep all discussion for a big race in one thread so we can refer to it on the day fo the race, or the day before, rather than having to hunt about for people's views on several threads

APPROACH LIKELY TO SWERVE EPSOM

By Martin Kelly, PA Sport

The unbeaten New Approach is unlikely to take his chance in the Vodafone Derby at Epsom on June 7.

Jim Bolger is instead favouring a crack at the major races in his homeland, with the Irish Guineas and the Curragh Derby at the forefront of his mind.

"We're going to take it step by step but Sheikh Mohammed, Princess Haya and (bloodstock advisor) John Ferguson have left the horse's programme to me," said Bolger.

"After he runs at Newmarket (in the stanjamesuk.com 2000 Guineas), we'll see how that goes and make a decision from there.

"But I would be more keen to go to the Irish Guineas with him and then to the Irish Derby."

Is it to do with new sponsors of Irish Derby wanting a big name to appear in their race?

"It's not that I'm shying away from Epsom, but I've not won the Irish 2000 Guineas before and I'd like to win it," added Bolger.

It's not bewildering, if you think about it

English 2000 May 3rd
Irish 2000 May 27
English Derby Jun 7
Irish Derby Jun 29

He'll have two tough races fairly quickly over a mile and then what will probably be another tough one a couple of weeks later if going Epsom route, but if he bypasses Epsom he should be nice and fresh for the step up to 12f

Good race planning by looks of it

Or just go for the three most prestigious races instead of ignoring the most prestigious for the least?

Some people believe Epsom configuration hinders some horses Gareth, which results in the "best" horse not always wining, whereas a track like the Curragh produces a much fairer 12f race

Maybe the tide is shifting and the Irish Derby is being seen as the better of the two 3yo middle distance races

Back