New Approach

Dubai Millennium was a machine. I have to admit i really enjoy Jim McGrath's commentary on the Dubai World Cup from the home turn on.

3 fantastic horses..

Donn McClean is also seemingly in favour of allowing New Approach to "bowl along," at least judging by his piece in The Sunday Times today.

Regarding the issue of "the inevitable Ballydoyle pacemaker or two," McClean suggests "they could be rendered ineffective and peripheral with the correct pace."

To be honest, I am not quite sure what is meant by the "correct pace." It seems that he is making the (rather absurd IMO) assumption that New Approach could afford to burn off the attentions of the Ballydoyle pacemaker(s) and still have enough left to fight off Duke Of Marmalade.

Alternatively (and by far the more sensible option surely) would be to bounce the horse away smartly and hope that he will settle (racing at a higher tempo) behind the pacemakers (the obvious danger being that if he doesn't Manning will be faced with the unenviable choice of being sucked into a suicidal speed duel with a Ballydoyle pacemaker or the prospect of another WWE-style wrestling match).

I suppose it comes down to Grey's distinction between a horse wanting to lead but allowing the jockey to dictate the pace and one wanting to bolt. Given that he has consented to dictating a sedate gallop in the past (last year's National Stakes being a prime example), it would seemingly be premature to say New Approach belonged in the latter category at Newmarket. That said, he went head to head with a Ballydoyle pacemaker in last year's Futurity, setting a furious gallop in the process (particularly so given the ground). Though he managed to outstay the opposition but I would think it highly unlikely that he will be able to repeat the feat on Staurday!

Getting back to Grey's distinction, personally I'm not sure which category New Approach falls into (or more importantly which he will fall into on Saturday). Many will put his refusal to settle at Newmarket down to "freshness" but I won't go near him until he proves he can settle. Given the fact I still have serious reservations about his temperment, it's far from guaranteed IMO.

Back