New Family Member

Firstly I am sure connections will do right by the horse, and who are we to tell Cantoris and co what to do. But at the age of 10, turning 11, whats the point? I think its sad to see a horse even like Rosaker (not in BI's class or parish) been sent over fences at his age when he clearly has little joy in it (as he displayed when he was younger). Horses like that owe connections nothing and I think its a big ask, bordering on unfair, asking them to do it now.

If BI is still hungry for racing, trying him in a beginners chase could prove fruitful. Pedbrobob went chasing late and he looked a useful recruit last season. With young guns in the hurdling ranks now like Katchit, Sizing Europe and Binocular to name but a few, it really is hard to see BI getting back to the top of that ladder.

Its safe to say connections will make whatever decision is in the horses best interest and im happy to go with that

Surely the World Hurdle would be both the fairest route to the horse, as well as the route the horse would be most competitive at?

Running in the 2m4+ hurdles (Hatton's Grace?) that Solerina et al used to mop up would be the route I'd take.

Surely the World Hurdle would be both the fairest route to the horse, as well as the route the horse would be most competitive at?

Running in the 2m4+ hurdles (Hatton's Grace?) that Solerina et al used to mop up would be the route I'd take.

Agreed ~ he has always stayed 2m4f well and would surely be effective at a staying trip.

Plenty of decent hurdle races over 2m4f+ in the old country - the Hattons Grace, the Lismullen, the Tara, the Galmoy, the Christmas Hurdle..........a veritable cornucopia of valuable targets.

Thought you might like to see some pictures from a recent stable visit

Attachments

• 2008-08-23 Stable visit - on gallop.jpg
    2008-08-23 Stable visit - on gallop.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2008-08-23 Stable visit - syndicate with horse1.jpg
    2008-08-23 Stable visit - syndicate with horse1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 31
Not really. Just basic pre-training and is going on a break now as he has been on the go a long time. colm likes to give them a break after they are broken. I know others given them a break first but Colm likes some of the hard work done before he gives them a break. BI should be out in the next month.

Mick the Man has plenty of ability and think a decent good ground handicap is in him if his head is right. Moving to a smaller yard where they dabble their hooves in the water after the gallops, are turned out daily and brought away a lot might just be what he needs to sort out his temperament. Will wait and see. Haven't seen him down there so must have gone down int he last three or four weeks.

Grey and myself were down there recently and Colm said he'd been called a lot of names but he was a little like Big Zeb, unlucky to meet some decent horses in defeat. He thought there was a good race in him and fences would be his game. Delighted to see him win.

Grey and myself were down there recently and Colm said he'd been called a lot of names but he was a little like Big Zeb, unlucky to meet some decent horses in defeat.

True, Cantoris, but he's also like Big Zeb in the fact that he tends to look one paced when he comes off the bridle.

Not sure how much he's actually improved in winning what was a very weak maiden hurdle by course standards.

True, Cantoris, but he's also like Big Zeb in the fact that he tends to look one paced when he comes off the bridle.

Not sure how much he's actually improved in winning what was a very weak maiden hurdle by course standards.

I would not say he improved at all.

He could have won that race performing 20lb below his best.

It was not an improved performance in terms of form, but it was in terms of how he saw out the race. He has lost races of similar class.

It was not an improved performance in terms of form, but it was in terms of how he saw out the race. He has lost races of similar class.

I would not agree with that at all.

He has only put in one really below par performance in a weak race which was when he was beaten by Island Arrow. I don't think that race was as weak as that rubbish contest on Saturday.

In his other races he has done the following;

-Beaten by the useful Cuchulains Son
-Split 2 very useful types in Glenrock Leader and Siegemaster
-Beaten by Forpadytheplasterer
-Split reasonable horses Deal Maker and Oscar Time - This was a race he was entitled to win, but not to anything like the same extent as the weekend.
-Beaten in a very good race by Cooldine.
-Split Western Charmer and Corskeagh Royale.

The contest at the weekend was dreadful - If he had managed to get beaten, he should have been taken out of training.

I think his second placing to Forpadytheplaster (not forgetting his bumper form) makes his defeat to the likes of Deal Maker (by 10 lengths), Cooline and co (by 51 lengths), Glenrock Leader (4 lengths), Cuchulains Son and Western Charmer (8 lengths) as all below par for what the horse actually could achieve. Many of those efforts in defeat were highlighted by him travelling very well but only to find little enough off the bridle.

I agree that yesterday's race was a weak event but I thought he showed a somewhat improved attitude.

I think his second placing to Forpadytheplaster (not forgetting his bumper form) makes his defeat to the likes of Deal Maker (by 10 lengths), Cooline and co (by 51 lengths), Glenrock Leader (4 lengths), Cuchulains Son and Western Charmer (8 lengths) as all below par for what the horse actually could achieve. Many of those efforts in defeat were highlighted by him travelling very well but only to find little enough off the bridle.

I agree that yesterday's race was a weak event but I thought he showed a somewhat improved attitude.

Fair point but the difference was that he never had to come off the bridle on Saturday. If he was asked to, then I suspect the same response would have been evident. I looked at the race on Saturday morning and thought he was a 1/2 shot for it. I could not believe he was odds against. There was absolutely nothing in it and it was one of the worst maidens staged at Fairyhouse that I can remember. Kong was the only one that could possibly have been a threat, but the trip / ground looked to be against him and he was very weak in the market.

I would be far from convinced that we have seen a new Mick The Man and I will lay him in running in better races again.

Back