New Family Member

I know, but I still don't like it, Cantoris! Some are still being bashed and shoved to clamber exhaustedly over the last, and it sickens me to see some of them fall when the winner's already returning to the enclosures. It's not edifying as a public spectacle, and I do think it can only demoralise weak horses who can't keep up, and then have a forced fall. But that's just me, of course.

In fairness, I'm with Krizon to an extent. My first thought on seeing Cantoris' comment was "oh, well, that's alright then..." If a horse is tailed and knackered, it should be pulled up - it's not going to get a handicap that will get them into a race anyway if it is beaten by half the track and will then have its mark dropped by too much. I don't know the rules in Ireland, but luckily over here the authorities are quite strict on jockeys who don't pull up their mounts if they are obviously tired.

But then in Ireland it's pretty much all a case of spot the trier anyway!

I'm pretty sure if they were honest about it, most of the Irish folk on this forum would agree though Kri! Especially in 20 runner handicap/maiden/novice hurdles et al.

Up to now there has been no reasons given other than it's one of those things, is there any other reasons ?

I'd like to say this isn't my view, I was just pointing out what I believe are the facts in Ireland. For example, Capatain Bondi was injured in Navan before the second last and his jock pulled him up. If he had got over the second last, even with the injury, he would have got handicapped on it. so there is an incentive to keep going, even for only a few strides. Thankfully, our jock pulled him up which was the right thing to do.

I thought I would resurrect this. Grey has an interest in Raise The Beat with me and hoping he runs this weekend. From being very very weak last season, he has blossomed now and hoping he has filled out enough to run a good race. I'd be happy if he settled and finished in the first six. The form of the Killarney bumper he ran in a year ago is not too shabby. Arkose won it, Lucky William second and Awkward Moment a few places ahead of us.

Attachments

• 2010-04-02 Raise The Beat after work (cropped).jpg
    2010-04-02 Raise The Beat after work (cropped).jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 24
Kri, you should have seen him last year. He's made a huge jump since we backed off him and just let him tick over. He's very much like Zaarito in that respect. Hope he has half his ability!!

He's made a huge jump since we backed off him and just let him tick over. He's very much like Zaarito in that respect. Hope he has half his ability!!

Zaarito isn't exactly known for making 'huge jumps,' Cantoris!!

All the best to both yourself and Grey with him.

I thought I would resurrect this. Grey has an interest in Raise The Beat with me and hoping he runs this weekend. From being very very weak last season, he has blossomed now and hoping he has filled out enough to run a good race. I'd be happy if he settled and finished in the first six. The form of the Killarney bumper he ran in a year ago is not too shabby. Arkose won it, Lucky William second and Awkward Moment a few places ahead of us.

I'm delighted to report that Raise The Beat looked really well in the parade ring and in the race not only settled but went on to win nicely, with the market principals finishing prominently. :)

Thanks guys....it's been a long day!! He looked great today, jig jogging around the parade ring which was completely different to his run this time last year when he looked tired just walking around the ring. It might not have been a great race but he'll come on for that and we haven't rushed him along. I hope his legs are ok as it was very fast up there but we had to run. Nice price on betfair.....not that any of us got him at 80/1!! That's three winners from four runners on the track for us now. Colm ain't a bad judge of a horse!!

Happy for you fellas, you'd want to be giving Colum stick about the one that didn't win ;)

Last edited:
Happy for you fellas, you'd want to be giving Colum stick about the one that didn't win ;)

Yeah and he was the most expensive one too!! Four runners bought for €16k, €27k, €37k, €22k. Not bad to get three winners from that.

Back