New Family Member

Fair point but the difference was that he never had to come off the bridle on Saturday. If he was asked to, then I suspect the same response would have been evident.

You could be spot on there...but I thought it was just that bit more encouraging.

It's easy to label Mick The Man as the typical Meade bridle horse or question his attitude, but my view of him is that he's just totally one paced tbh.

You won't see the best of him until Punchestown which is the norm with him. He only comes alive in April. Chellers won't suit him so guess that is prob off the agenda.

Paul Carberry is his own worst enemy - no idea what the instructions where yesterday but he seems to have one style when it comes to odds on shots, just sit until after the last hurdle and kick clear. It sometimes doesn´t work - that said Meade is good at talking the talk.

Whatever your views about Carberry, it's hard to blame him for Aitmatov's run yesterday surely, Martin? The horse was off the bridle swinging out of the straight the first time and looked like he simply couldn't keep up for much of the race. Not much Carberry could do in the circumstances.

I don't blame Carberry for Aitmatov it was one of his other rides I'd blame him for - he had no chance to employ his usual tactics given how Aitmatov ran.

I don't blame Carberry for Aitmatov it was one of his other rides I'd blame him for - he had no chance to employ his usual tactics given how Aitmatov ran.

You surely cannot blame him for the Pandorama defeat! He set a strong gallop the whole around as the time would indicate. This is how the horse must run as he does not have a change of gear, but is a relentless galloper. He was just beaten by what I would consider to be the nicest novice we have seen in Ireland for quite a number of years.

He didn't ask him for anything until after the third last when it was clear that Mikael was going to beat him DV.

I'm with you on Mikael and had one of my biggest bets of the year so far on him (aftertiming here) - strongly believe that these French breds have a huge advantage over British/Irish horses particularly when younger and over hurdles.

I was in the stand watching Pandorama with Distant View and at the start of the back straight we were discussing how one paced Pandorama looked. Head down, loose rein, lolloping along. Anything with ability and a turn of foot would do him. I think Carberry went as fast as the horse could go without pushing him along.

See Captain Bondi is out tommorrow in a maiden hurdle at Navan. Looks a decent enough affair with a couple of interesting types, namely Solstice Night and An Innocent Man.

Best of luck, Cantoris!

I'm not expecting too much from Bondi today. He works well at home but is a fierce nervous character. First time out we thought he would go well in the Land Rover butit was all too much for him. Then we started him off over hurdles to give him experience and he pulled muscles in his back. A clear round is what we are hoping for at the moment and of our horses so far, he has been the most disappointing. But Colm's father (who knows the time of day) assures me I should keep the faith and that is what I am doing but as you can imagine in the current economic climate, he will need to show a good deal more before the next cash call is due for members to put their hands in their pockets.

Kimberlite is due to run this week, either on Wednesday or sunday. Raise The Beat is due out soon too, once the ground dries up a little. Had a few prospective members down to see the horses on Saturday morning. Was a good morning out and everyone enjoyed seeing Brave Inca, Zaarito, Mick The Man, Megans Joy, Big Zeb etc etc. As one lad said to me "Brave Inca is far more impressive in the flesh than on the box"!! So a good insight for people before they decide to join up.

A top six finish would do the job nicely but he's just as likely to come down the field as he is pretty weak and really a next year horse. He's grown very tall and is a bit light but he works well so fingers crossed. It's a long way to go to finish down the field!!

Well, he did come back safe and sound, which on a day when no less than six horses were lost was something to be grateful for.

As Cantoris says, he has been on the go a long time and had probably gone over the top. He was very light in condition and we were aware of the possibility that he might not see it out. A summer's rest and growth could do him a power of good.

Other people were not so lucky yesterday. Almost every race saw a fatal casualty. The track is very tight, only about 9f around with hairpin bends. That had nothing to do with any of the accidents, however, and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the ground, which was neither fast nor false.

In light of what went on, Grey, congratulations on your dear horse getting back in one piece, light or not! A lot of injuries, I hear, on top of the fatals. God knows what caused so much carnage - I know it's possible to lose up to four in one meeting (apart from Cheltenham and Aintree's Festivals), but I must say I've not heard of six at a regular meeting. I imagine that the Killarney executive will be called to investigate the reasons, but in the end they often end up being unrelated and all 'unique' - not that that's any consolation to the connections.

Will look forward to following your and Cantoris's horses later.

Two casualties, Robin Du Bois and Imperial Hills were the result of the former horse falling at a hurdle in the finishing straight and bringing down the other. They were among those contesting the lead at the time.

Wishwillow Lord had a tired fall at the last in the 2m4f chase when all on his own and out of contention.

Panther Creek lost his action coming away from a hurdle in the back straight and Sorocca broke down about a furlong out in the bumper.

It doesn't seem there was a common factor.

Heaps of non-runners at Killarney this evening. Not exactly surprising.

Just looked an unfortunate day really. If you wanted to be over-critical the ground was certainly better than yielding to soft.

Heard that all the Mullins entries were pulled out - perhaps he wasn't convinced that further damage might be done, but from the murmurs around, perhaps it would've been kinder to have PU WISHWILLOW LORD than to have sent him over the last. Even with the withdrawals, the fields looked plenty big enough.

perhaps it would've been kinder to have PU WISHWILLOW LORD than to have sent him over the last. .

A PU is unlikely to get you dropped in the handicap so that's why a lot of tailed off horses finish out their races, to help drop their mark.

Last edited:
Back