New Members- Welcome To Talking Horses

• Thread starter Thread starter Ardross
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark - if you upload your photo on FF, then cut & paste the address of the pic, it should work - it's about the only way I can get my avatar sorted!

You're so kind Aunty J - Mark is from FF, which is where I know him from!

Welcome, Mark. Don't let them take the piss out of your accent like they do me!!

Hi all,

I see a lot of familiar names around, so I guess I should feel at home. Looking forward to getting involved here now that I've got some posting time on my hands.

Hello again Rory!!

Fancy seeing you over here. I hope all is well in life. I heard you were at Windsor last Monday night. :P

Kathy,

I've barely missed a meeting in the past 2 or 3 years; how in the name of goodness have you managed to evade me in all that time?? Hope you're well. If you happen to be there tonight or in the next few weeks, come and say hello. I'm not hard to spot ~ I get withdrawal symptoms if I move too far from the champagne bar (or next to the pre-parade ring as I call it for professional purposes).

I'll be there tonight hopefully (work permitting) Rory. I took my Mum there a couple of weeks ago for her 69th Birthday so was in the posh restaurant bit. I didn't like the look of the rain last Monday night, so gave it a miss. Yep, fair weather racer me. B)

Remember, I saw you in the champagne bar last year, and you could hardly speak or walk, let alone point me in the direction of a winner. I'll let you make amends tonight. :)

Ouch!! Not the normal state of affairs I can assure you, Kathy. I hope the new avatar meets everyone's approval ~ it seems more in keeping with the "real" me.

Originally posted by Kathy@May 23 2005, 09:50 AM
Remember, I saw you in the champagne bar last year, and you could hardly speak or walk, let alone point me in the direction of a winner.
Ah, a media person then, Rory...

He sure is. I met up with him just before the last race at Windsor last night, and we both cheered home the winner together who was carrying money for both of us. I then tried to wrestle his winning placepot ticket off of him, but he was having none of it. :unsure: He was looking as dapper as ever too. Despite the cold weather (is it really 1st June next week?) it was a great evening.

Since An Capall is a semi-regular poster, can I implore people not to call him "An" for short. Those of us vaguely fluent in the mother tongue will be aware how naff that would be. Grammatically, it would be correct to call him "A Chapaill", but that's really quite anal to be honest. Should the need arise, I'll be calling him "horseboy". I heartily recommend that you join me. I thangew.

We used to call him 'horseshitboy' until he implored us to call him An, Largy. Make yer minds up!

I am pleased to confirm that Rory was sober again on Monday night. He even had the honour of meeting my better half too! As he doesn't come to the races very often, it was great that there were witnesses to this major event. I am hoping to drag him to Bath races this coming weekend too. B)

We've had loads of new sign-ups recently, and none of them has signed on here to say hallo to the forum and tell us anything about themselves! C'mon, folks, let's hear a bit from you... especially 'slipperytoad' - now that's a nice name!

Hi Everyone

I recently registered on Talking Horses following a recommendation from Krizon, who I came across on another forum.

Growing up in Cheltenham, I've always been a huge racing fan - particularly the jumps. Although I enjoy a bet, I am not a massive gambler and my love of the game really stems from my admiration of great horses, jockeys and trainers.

I have always viewed owning a racehorse to be the ultimate way of extending my interest but have never really been in a financial position to fulfil this dream. I have had a small interest in various different syndicate/racing clubs but have always felt somewhat let down by the level of involvement offered.

Although I have been working in the City for the past 8 years, a new addition to the family caused me to reassess my lifestyle and has seen me return to the Cotswolds. In an attempt to combine some of my business skills with my passion for racing, I have recently set-up a new racehorse ownership venture.

Racing Republic is an attempt to provide people with the sort of experience that I was looking for when joining a syndicate or racing club - real involvement for a moderate financial outlay. However, despite investing significant money in our website and other advertising (Racing Post, Racing Ahead etc) I have received only limited interest.

Admittedly our main structures are only due to launch in October. I have retained the services of bloodstock agent Peter Doyle, and the aim is to get together groups of 20 people to share in the ownership of two horses. There will be structures for both NH and Flat enthusiasts and the idea will be for the syndicates to see their horses bought at the sales and then to race them over 2 seasons. Rough costs are a capital sum of £3500 followed by monthly payments of £195.

Also, I have launched an introductory syndicate to run over the next six months. The Dream Debut Syndicate offers 100 shares at £500 each and will hold an interest in three horses. As a loss leader, to get our name and colours on the course, I would think that this represents great value. However, although the interest has been steady, the flood of orders I was expecting (hoping for!) just hasn't materialised.

Although not wanting to use this forum as a shop front I was wondering if members would mind sharing their thoughts on syndicate operations in general, their experiences of racehorse ownership and any feedback for me on the Racing Republic (www.racingrepublic.co.uk) concept.

Apologies, for the rambling nature of this first entry and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back