New Members- Welcome To Talking Horses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Sheikh, my Avatar is the horse my daughter looks after , his name is Raptor :)

Dont think their are any plans to send him jumping ....at the moment they are getting him ready for the Lincoln in March, he came 4th last year and there hoping for a decent run from him ....
He recently had a wind op and Amy said that has improved him no end , he is working really well at home .... :)

Hello there. I am new to the forum. #

I am 40 and have been into racing since I was a kid. I used to watch ITV7 with my dad – John Oaksey and John Rickman.

Reading some of the people on here I feel a bit in awe. I have never been to racing before but each Saturday I place £2 on the Scoop 6. I sometimes do placepots as well. I go to the local bookies a lot and enjoy the crack there

I am hoping to get some tips on here and from the other site I am joining (the racing forum I think?) and maybe learn a bit more about the sport.

My favourite jockeys are Dettori and McCoy. I like Johnny Francome and Derek Thomson on Channel 4 and Willie Carson and Richard Pitman on BBC2. My dad used to always follow them two on a Saturday when I was a boy.

My favourite horses are Desert Orchid, Red Rum and Nashwan.

I really like the Racing Post database which gives me so much history and stats.

Welcome to the forum, Nashwan.

People on this forum certainly have varying amounts of knowledge about so many aspects of The Sport of Kings.

Please don't be put off posting just because you feel others may know more about racing than possibly you do. On this forum everyones opinion is as valid as the next persons.

Enjoy! :)

Welcome Nashwan. I expect you'll get a few scathing comments along the way, most newbies do, but take no notice!
Most on here are only too happy to explain things to those less experienced
But do start to go racing - I only began in early middle age too! - and it really did change my whole perspective
There is no substitute for the real thing... Which are your local courses?

Hello Headstrong

Redhead's pedigree:

?? yo ch mare

Breeding: Scots + Welsh but will pass for Irish if keeping mouth shut :p

Stable: 1m from the course. The soil around here is the same as at the racecourse, and the drainage is similar, so my garden is a good general indicator of the going there (but, alas, not so well-tended).

Natural habitat: paddock-side at any racecourse, particularly Cheltenham.

Form: dedicated NH fan who grew up around here when the late Frenchie Nicholson trained here and the local interest in racing was still strong. Have been a member at Cheltenham for some 27 years and before that attended regularly by way of bunking off school and sneaking up the bank from the railway line. (Festival week was easier though, as children were free if accompanied, so I used to attach myself to a group of "merry" Irish, who all used to think that I was someone else's daughter.)

Discovered an ability to judge an animal's mental and physical wellbeing by watching it, and firmly believe that although a horse may be turned out as fit as a flea, it will do nothing of note until its mental wellbeing matches the physical (Joes Edge last year, for example).

I started to keep ratings and profiles some 15 years ago to keep my mind straight after a devastatingly bad relationship and find that, when used in conjunction with form- and paddock-reading, they can be a powerful tool.

I'm also dedicated to the NHS and, although I have chosen to work for the local Hospital, my racing roots have remained intact as I currently work for one of the Racecourse doctors.

Hi
Just stumbled across the website this evening so thought I'd join.

My father took me to the 1967 Derby (Royal Palace) and for Nijinsky three years later and, as they say, the rest is history. Over the following decades my preference for Flat or NH has fluctuated. 10/15 years ago lost all interest in flat with the start of the Godolphin/Ballydoyle onslaught but in the last few seasons my interest has been reinvigorated.

Also have tired of the NH obsession with Cheltenham to the detriment of other fine races throughout the season with a great tradition and also I suppose it's the whole Johnson/Ogden/McManus domination thing.

Worked for the 'Magic Sign' back in the 80s but am now a teacher.

Still once the sport hooks you, you stay hooked.

Welcome to Talking Horses, mumuga.

Your mention of Royal Palace brings back fond memories.

Murless, Moore.....jumpers for goalposts........ahhhh! :shy:

Welcome Newbies. Don't be alarmed that we seem to be going through one of our periodical periods of navel-gazing - they happen from time to time then blow over!

Redhead I could not agree more about a horse's mental well-being, much underestimated imo
Mumuqa, I think you'll find many on here who are uncomfortable with any owner/trainer who dominates their corner, it makes racing too predictable - and uneconomic for the small fry who support the sport on the ground

Welcome.

Breeding: Scots + Welsh but will pass for Irish if keeping mouth shut

If this works Redhead, it will be the first time in history that an Irishwoman indentified herself through silence.

And Nashwan - you are not middle aged. Don't pay any heed to her.

Mumuqa????????? Not named after the Mumuqa???????

I remember him well, rode him often. Chestnut fella, big white face. Might say more if I find out you're not his owner!!!! :D :p

Yes Shadow Leader!! I did own a leg 7 or 8 years ago. At what of his career were you associated with him?

In his early days when he was at Egerton's. Is he still about?

Used to go like stink from the front, often with head held fairly high, if I remember correctly!

From what I can remember he was ok to ride, if a little keen at times, again, with a propensity to carry his head pretty high.

I've a feeling you had to watch out for your feet when handling him too!!

Yes. I was a 1/4 share owner when he was at Egerton's. Experienced two novice chase wins in September '99. :D Never forget his 13l win after a memorable trip up to Sedgefield. Norman said at Sedgefield that he just had to let him go and hope to stay on board.

Only got five runs in 2 years - horse has numerous setbacks - and Edgie doesn't exactly overrace his string does he? He went to the sales in 2001 and one of the owners bought him back in and sent him north - ran quite a few times with no more wins. Lost track of him after that.

Still, was a great time to get down to Egerton's - Decoupage, Teaatral, Mely Moss and the like. My only foray so far into ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back