New Whip Rules

A missed opportunity. Gold Cup run in ... a jockey will continue beating a horse to do everything he can to win. He is breaking the rules, so should be disqualified. It's a strange concept to think you can break the rules and this not count against your final race position.

It is good that use of the whip will be further restricted, and it is good that heavier penalties will be introduced.

On the other hand all the burden of compliance is being placed on the jockeys. Owners will lose nothing if their horse wins after being struck excessively, neither will trainers. This ignores the power relationship between the respective parties.

The BHA is aware of the problem, because Recommendation 14 is to make it an offence for a jockey to be compensated by the owner for any penalties incurred for whip rule breaches. But how effective could such a rule be? Surely it would be relatively easy to find ways around it? And why shouldn't the trainer and anyone else who benefited from the breach, such as stable staff, breeders and winning punters, also be disbarred from compensating the jockey?

We could muddle on for a few more years with these rule changes until there comes another series of high profile examples of horses winning races unfairly. In the end the only credible step will be to disqualify or demote horses that have been excessively whipped.

Good point. The impact of the new measures really should be passed on to owners and trainers as well removing any issues around motivation and also taking the onus off the jockeys.

Anyone care to hazard a guess at my first question? Will that constitute a strike of the whip?

Oops! Just lost my reply!

I'd hazard that it'll be termed 'directional', not 'motivational', Aragorn. To tap the shoulders, you can only hold it downward, where there's very little force given the small amount of space between your hand and the horse's shoulder. The ProAir, which I've demo'd dozens of times now to our behind-the-scenes course tours, makes a satisfying 'thwack' sound when applied, but the most it's done is create tingling which wears off after a few seconds. (Note to forum owners: have a go for yourself when your jockey comes into the parade ring.)

Having had a friend catch a strike intended for a horse with the whips around in the 1950s/60s, where the stripe inflicted lasted for over a week, there's no comparison between then and now. (Allowing for humans' thin skins versus hide.) There's far less chance, using today's air-cushioned end, to raise a weal. In fact, I'd be surprised that it could raise a weal unless it struck the horse edge-on.

I'll say that shoulder taps will not count - it'll be bum warmers that do.

Last edited:
Taps on shoulder are fine and not classed as a hit. As soon as they lift hand of the reigns it counts as a hit.

I assumed that would be the case - I'm too lazy to re-read everything and interpret it properly! Thanks!

No-one should profit from excessive whipping ... would be ideal.
How to stop layers making a profit, though?
DQ-ing would open another oppo for cheating ... sadly.

It's all very difficult.

Maybe a bit of technology would help out - whips that degrade to feathers after so much poundage has been applied through them ...
Trouble is, you'd need a new (expensive) whip for each runner in each race!

Then there'd be whip-testing ... ah just get rid of the things & allow whipping only to avoid danger.

This whip thing is completely overdone in my opinion. Kri would have Jason Maguire in Strangeways if she had her way. Horses should not be butchered for our entertainment by any means but this is heading too far down the political correctness route. More time should be spent on non triers than banning jockeys or demoting horses.

Ooh, get you, Mr Controversial! Not at all. Jason Maguire made a prize twazzock of himself by walloping, over and over again, a horse in the world's most-watched jumps race, THE one, THE only, THE Grand National. Not the Sussex 'National', not the Welsh, not the Scottish, not the Irish, not even Chipping Sodbury's. For millions to see, bringing NH once again/again/again into public debate and heartily reinforcing the likes of animal rightists' agendas to have all horseracing banned on the grounds that it's cruel and, in particular - guess what, me hearties? - THE GRAND BLEEDIN' NATIONAL.

It's always been a controversial race because of high animal fatalities. It's always been a controversial race because of visibly exhausted finishers, collapses en route, and horses that never recovered from running in it. Why not just add the winner getting seven bells knocked out of him as well?

Hey, I couldn't, at heart, give a toss if UK jumps racing finished tomorrow, if it depends on horses getting whipped repeatedly. Not that big a deal in the scheme of things. But if we are to have it continue, then let's not have horses publicly battered. Especially when the public goes pretty much worldwide.

All that out the way, I've no objection to the whip being used behind the girth as a signal. A tap on the backside should be a signal for the horse to increase its speed, no more than that. You look at any decent jockey who knows what he's doing and after three taps behind, he knows if he's got a fighting chance or not. More than that, and he's just spoofing the owner.

I quite fancy watching the Chipping Sodbury National.... ;)

Im in two minds about this - chiefly because Im not sure almost everyone wouldnt be banned in the first week - 5 strikes in the last furlong / after the last obstacle?? Thats really not many at all - especially if you think you are getting a better effort from the horse. Id quite like them to have harsher punishments for people who are beating horses that are either completely out of contention, or way out in front though - neither of those situations is comfortable to watch.

BUT - I guess anything that slows the fluffy bunny,sandals and socks, pony patting brigade's crusade to ban racing full stop can only be a good thing, as long as the powers that be dont dumb everything down too far. Im not a fan of watching horses hit - but nor do I think banning the stick completely is the way to go.

Chris Cook on the Guardian site:

Radical new whip rules will face first major test on Champions Day
High-profile event in racing calendar could be a public relations disaster for the sport

Racing's capacity for chucking bricks through its own shop window may be demonstrated once more in a fortnight when new rules on whip use will be introduced just in time for the brand new Champions Day at Ascot.

With £3m in prize money and Frankel among those taking part, the event on 15 October is supposed to attract the attention of a new and broader audience but they may also witness a high-profile jockey getting the first lengthy ban under the sport's new, much tougher regime, which will begin five days before.

Now, thanks to the British Horseracing Authority, there are to be much tighter limits on how many times the whip can be used by a jockey during a race: seven in a Flat race and eight over jumps. But a strict numerical limit is a blunt tool that can hurt the wielder, as the respected Timeform organisation will argue in its forthcoming, fondly anticipated annual Chasers & Hurdlers.

"The specifying of a norm for the number of times the whip can be used has been at the root of many of the public relations disasters for racing," Timeform will say, citing "publicity given to whip suspensions for top jockeys in big races". Stewards should be examining how the whip is used, runs the argument, rather than how many times.

Is it reasonable to expect a jockey to maintain a careful count of his whip-strokes while picking his way through a packed field, around bends and over obstacles, always keeping an eye on the favourite and remembering the tactics he has been told to employ? Yet one stroke too many in a race after 10 October will trigger a five-day ban and forfeiture of his share in the prize money, as well as the riding fee.

Despite the jokes made in the stands, there is no reason to doubt the intelligence of jockeys as a class. But counting is not as easy as one might hope in the heat of a race, as evidenced by those frustrating occasions when a jockey rides out for the finish a circuit too early. It happened to Denis O'Regan at Fakenham, to Sam Twiston-Davies at Perth, to Hadden Frost at Folkestone and, on one celebrated occasion, to all 14 riders in a race at Tramore.

William Hill offered a selection of bets inspired by the new rules but will surely get no takers for the 5-2 about another rule change within 12 months. The BHA has taken 10 months of reflection to reach this new position, will not want to move again quickly and in any case has few places left to go.

If the mood for change persists, another cut in the number of strokes allowed to, say, four per race would lack credibility. The next real change open to the sport is to ban jockeys from using the whip to make their mounts run faster, though they will still need to carry it for reasons of safety.

One option that now appears to have been ruled out is disqualification for any horse whose rider breaches the whip rules. As the review suggests, that could lead to an hour-long delay in announcing the result of the Grand National, while the stewards pore over the video to see how many times the first six jockeys used their whips over the four and a half miles.

Perhaps further change will not be necessary. An opinion poll conducted as part of the review found that 57% of respondents initially felt that the whip should be banned. After they were told about the restrictions in place and how the whip is designed to avoid inflicting pain, that number dropped to 33%.

It is a finding that may confirm the suspicions of those who feel that racing has given ground too easily through fear of public opinion, clipping its own wings when it might have been defending itself. Other findings suggest there is room for the sport to express itself better; of those who said they were interested in racing 14% professed to believe that the whip was already banned.

I honestly feel that if your mount hasn't responded to seven full backhanders - and even though I've played around with the ProAir, I haven't actually experienced a fully-fit, muscular young fellow sticking two or three firm swipes on my rump (oooh, matron!) - then your horse just isn't going to do it. Time and again we see riders give their horses a signal smack, to say 'come on now, let's pick it up', followed by two, three, four more and then call it a day. If a horse demonstrates that after that many he's just not up to the job, or is failing because of a problem, then two or three more flails aren't going to work the oracle.

I'm far more in the camp promoted earlier by Grey, anyway, but I think folks will just have to get their heads round the fact that everything evolves. We've given up bull baiting with dogs, stopped burning heretics, even given the women the vote and the right to train racehorses in their own name (gadzooks, where will this madness end?) - so constantly evolving various aspects of racing will continue. One day, all horses will be chipped with sectional timers and jockeys will receive team instructions through their helmets - let's not get too overwrought about the latest issue.

Very good article Colin, it's a PR disaster waiting to happen. "Seven jockeys banned in Champions Day Whipping Frenzy" it's a headline waiting to happen. Why cannot common sense ever prevail without having to reduce it a specified number of hits?? If a horse is marked - yes a ban! If some rogue or inexperienced jockey is flailing away at a horse who is not responding - yes a ban! One of the best rides all year was Frankies on Rewilding (no financial interest in the race) at Royal Ascot. To see both horse and rider vigoursly straining every piece of their being to win the race was a sight to behold! That is sport at the highest level where success is not easily come by.
Why this complete preoccupation with what the general publics perception may or may not be of the sport! This overriding zealousness to appeal to and appease everyone just creates a myriad of beige sports.

If racing horses to achieve their fullest potential and all that this entails is not for you - you always have the pony club!

Society as a whole has to give responsibility back to the individual and not increasingly invade everyone's respective space!

I agree with OTB about the preoccupation about the general public-I heard someone from the BHA last night saying they commissioned an opinion poll with the general public about whip abuse-if you asked these people if they thought horse racing was stupid and should be banned how many would say yes.
Pandering to the public will get you nowhere.

Look, folks, there's plenty of feedback from Flat jocks on ATR and none of them are against the new rules, so why should we worry?

Richard Hughes: "If you can't count to seven, you shouldn't be riding. I can see it perhaps leading to putting blinkers on horses earlier on (in their careers) than usual, but otherwise, it's cleared things up." As a sometime dual-purpose rider, he felt that NH riders might want to use it a bit earlier in races to get their nags to stand off their jumps properly, but otherwise, no biggie - one or two changes in riding tactics, that's all.

Kieren Fallon: "It's a good thing."

Jim Crowley: "Races will be better for it."

Dane O'Neill: "Learn to live with it."

Cathy Gannon: a bit worried, as a relative newbie to the others, that she's only just learned the old rules! Hopes the stews will take the newness into account when it kicks off.

On the jumps front, the great, the one and only AP McCoy is supporting the change.

So, let's not get over-heated about it. If those who have to learn to employ the change feel they can cope and that it's no big deal, why get in a froth? Hell, we all learned to wear seat belts as vehicle drivers, didn't we?

The welfare people would have had him pulled up but we all know what happened in the end.

Whether or not 7 & 8 are enough will soon become clear.

Dettori certainly won't be hitting a horse 27 (Or however many times it was) times in the final two furlongs.

Will this have a downstream impact on training methods? My guess is that it will. Stallions that produce genuine horses will also become more attractive I would think.

The welfare people would have had him pulled up but we all know what happened in the end.

Whether or not 7 & 8 are enough will soon become clear.

Dettori certainly won't be hitting a horse 27 (Or however many times it was) times in the final two furlongs.

Will this have a downstream impact on training methods? My guess is that it will. Stallions that produce genuine horses will also become more attractive I would think.

This whip thing is completely overdone in my opinion. Kri would have Jason Maguire in Strangeways if she had her way. Horses should not be butchered for our entertainment by any means but this is heading too far down the political correctness route. More time should be spent on non triers than banning jockeys or demoting horses.

Quite.
Simplisticly I cannot see how the same number of use can be applied to a race over 5 furlongs as to a race over 2m 6 on the flat, or 2 miles to 4 miles + in NH.
McCoy coming out in favour of it is 'interesting' too - can't wait to see how many times he falls foul of it once the season begins in earnest.

Back