Novice Chasers 2009/10

I have not been that impressed with Mighty Man's jumping. How many ten year olds have won the Sun Alliance Chase?

I would be surprised if Punchestowns did not go very close to matching his hurdles form over fences and he is a deserved favourite right now in my book.

Every year at least 1 stat is rolled out only to be rendered meaningless.

For the last few years (prior to Katchit winning the CH) we kept hearing the stat about 5 year olds in the Champion Hurdle; now, one wins and people can't stop backing them!

When they're running up the hill, I don't think one horse is more likely to beat another because of their respective ages.

What's a lot more relevant is that he has had only 18 starts over timber, and seems to retain all of his ability prior to his injury. IF that is the case, he should be close to single figures as he has at least the equal hurdling form of anything in the field.

Just because a stat is broke does not make it meaningless....it shows it is clearly very difficult for it to occur.

The five year old trend seems to have been influenced by a couple of things - 1) a change to the type of race the Triumph hurdle is because of the juvenile handicap and 2) a different type of tougher flat staying sort than in years gone by. It should be noted that alot of the 5 years that have won or run well in the Champion have appeared to struggle the following season.

I see nothing that has changed for the novice chasers.

I have liked what I have seen on Mighty Man this season and I was a huge fan of him as a hurdler in the past,

about his cheltenham prospects this season, I dont see him as a betting propostion, too old for me, injuries in the past and has looked a best horse at Aintree than at Cheltenham,

Okay - tell me how many top 3 mile hurdlers have gone novice chasing on the back of chasing home gamely the best 3 mile hurdler in years in their last hurdle race?

The 10 year old stat is based on a lot of 10 year olds who had little of the ability Mighty Man has so whether he wins or comes last, it won't be because he's 10.

His last hurdle race was probably better form than Punchestowns or Diamond Harry has shown. He is lightly raced, and has taken well to fences. I see no reason why he can't run a very good race and with the ability he has, that would give him a very strong chance of a place.

I was talking about his physical attributes, re: his build and size that would suggest Punchestowns should be as good over fences rather than the strength of his form. To be fair, given Mighty Man's form over hurdles and now that connections seem to be leaning to running him in the RSA, I'll agree there are worse bets than him at 25's.

The stat of him being a 10-y-o is something of a red herring too given he had 2 years off and hasn't had as much racing as was a 'typical' 10-y-o has.

Just to be clear! I don't think he's got the same chance as the two Henderson horses but I think he has every chance of placing at 9.6. The 50 on BF is much too big as well so I'll have to help myself to a little of that :p

I have not been that impressed with Mighty Man's jumping.

Eh???? Have you seen the horse jump?????? Mighty Man's jumping is flawless - he is fast and accurate and is able to fiddle well. It is Mighty Man's jumping I've been most impressed with - you couldn't have asked for better from a seasoned handicapper than he delivered yesterday.

I agree with Hamm; I think that the horse is a fantastic price for the RSA and, much as I love Diamond Harry, I can see Mighty Man winning the race. He's a superb jumper, he's an old hand now, Cheltenham is an old hunting ground for him, he's a battler and he has class.

I would love to have one like him - The Mighty Man is one of my favourite horses, such a genuine, likeable beast.

Tataniano beaten on merit yesterday and does not look good enough. I wonder will Ruby ride him or Sportsline come March.

Given the regard in which Sportsline is held, I'd be surprised if Ruby isn't on

Incidentally, believe Ruby had to apologise to connections of Quel Esprit the last day...

Just the general feeling around the place that he'd given a shocking ride and rode him like a speed horse. Some very unhappy campers around..think the owners went in and backed at 1/2!

Just the general feeling around the place that he'd given a shocking ride and rode him like a speed horse. Some very unhappy campers around..think the owners went in and backed at 1/2!

No sympathy for them backing it at 1/2 given the prize money that was on offer. Greed is a wonderful thing.

Not sure that was in any way Tataniano's form on Friday - he ran an utter stinker on very soft/heavy ground against Diamond Harry and Bensalem last year.

I still don't think he is good enough even on his best form though.

Interesting little novice chase at The Maze today.I thought Del Rio ran respectably behind wonder horse Cousin VInny last time out under a considerate enough ride.currently about 13-2 on the machine.

I'd like to see Chasing Cars get round to finish this time. Was traveling nicely the last day when he came down. Form with Sports Line would give him a very decent chance, but back to back falls doesn't inspire confidence.

Gamble landed. Mick The Man, in from 20's to 10's and obliges. Event packed and ground looks very testing.

Am I right in saying MTM finished behind Del Rio last time out.I was going into a meeting at 3 o clock and left a modest bet on Del Rio at 6-1 at the front of the Betfair queue-managed to get 28 cent matched which saved me a few quid.

Back