PJ Moriarty Novice Chase Ladbrokes Betting:

Roberto Goldback - 3/1
Weapons Amnesty - 7/2
Zaarito - 4/1
Oscar Looby - 8/1
Cousin Vinny - 10/1
Nicanor - 12/1
14/1 bar

Long Run gets an Arkle entry. Might still see this one in the 2-miler yet.

I'd fancy Long Run as a big danger to his stablemate Riverside Theatre (who I've backed) in the Arkle.

I still can't quite believe they would want to go up against Punchestowns with that one in the RSA. Unless something goes wrong with the favourite before the RSA, I'd be very tempted to go for the Arkle with Long Run.

Never mind leopardstown sunday, nothing from this race will do a tap at cheltenham. Somersby all the way is the bet, everything else has flaws, most notably CCB jumping and glass legs.

I'm going to buck the odds as I fancy Dancing Tornado. Ran no race last time out for no obvious reason but is 2/4 from his chases history. I'd be surpised if he maintains his current long odds though the field does look tougher then his previous efforts.

Not sure that was in any way Tataniano's form on Friday - he ran an utter stinker on very soft/heavy ground against Diamond Harry and Bensalem last year.

I still don't think he is good enough even on his best form though.

Few are good enough on there best form going into a Novice championship race (as they haven't had much form to go on). Nevertheless this one is very accurate and is shaping the right way. I'd agree that he's no good on that sort of ground though.

Captain Cee Bee wins easily after a dodgy landing at the last again though I would like to see it again as there was a photographer right on top of that fence that may have put him off.

Great ride from Barry G there...did not panic. Was not impressed with him on According earlier but he not only was brilliant on Punchestowns after that mistake but it is the sort of ride that will bring Punchestowns on alot.

Good performance from Punchestown - don't think he showed anything that will see him trouble Long Run though should they clash, particularly in relation to how he dealt with Tchico Polos relative to the Kempton clash.

The Feltham form has a really solid look to it IMO.

In fairness the Nicholls horse barely gets today's trip so Long Run's defeat of him over three miles (up to when he fell) should be seen in that context. Over three miles I think Punchestowns would clearly have slaughtered them all today.

I think they are both top class prospects and are very hard to split. My hunch is at a track like Cheltenham Punchestowns might just have the edge over Long Run (if they do meet) given how they both jump.

I thought Russell's performance on the runner-up on Saturday was an absolute disgrace.

What was wrong with it? Weapons Amnesty didn't jump well early on, making several untidy mistakes, and was outside his comfort zone over a trip short of his best. To my surprise he stayed on nicely towards the finish and ran a fine trial for the Sun Alliance.

Gus is referring to the 'effort' on Fosters Cross where Russell seemed to do absolutely nothing as Captain Cee Bee went past him.

Weapons Amnesty needs to improve his jumping to have a chance in the Festival.
He stayed on very well and will improve for the up in distance, but aat the moment Punchestowns and Diamond Harry look much more solid options for me, both have shown better level than WA and also were better hurdlers , both with course form too.

I dont see what Foster Cross did wrong on Saturday, was beaten easily by a much better horse and did enough to mantein the 2nd place.

Foster's Cross did nothing wrong, but anyone that backed the horse to win is entitled to feel rather peeved with the ride. I am surprised that anyone thinks it is okay to make the running on a horse and allow a rival to go past you without making any effort to go with him.

The stewards saw nothing wrong with the ride so perhaps it's just me (and gus, Colin Phillips, father wishy washy and Grasshopper)

Last edited:
Back