Novice Chasers 2009/10

Not at all, Hamm - there just seems to be a general feeling amongst elements of the punditry that Punchestowns' stamina is questionable, whereas no such questions are raised about Long Run - which is completely arse-about-face as far as I'm concerned.

Punchestowns was apparently found to have coughed this morning, which would explain his price-drift and the parallel plunge on Long Run. The French horse is a place-lay for me at odds-on.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get on at a similar price. It's worth the chance alone considering when I've backed Long Run since and I think he is the main danger.

3/1 without Punchestowns would be bet of the festival though.

Assuming he stays, and his jockey doesn't fk-up, then probably yes.

If Punchestowns ran, there's sufficient doubt in my mind about Long Run getting home, about his jumping, and about the jockey getting into a poor position, for me to be laying him at money-on.

Last edited:
HENDERSON REVEALS PUNCHESTOWNS WORRY
By Press Association Sport Staff

Nicky Henderson's Punchestowns has suffered a setback in his preparation for the RSA Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.
Last season's World Hurdle runner-up is a leading contender for the Grade One contest but drifted in the market on Friday following various rumours about his participation.
Henderson, speaking at Newbury on Friday, said: "We have a problem with Punchestowns on his near-fore.
"A similar thing happened last weekend and we had to take his shoe off, but it cleared up quickly and he spent a couple of days swimming, so didn't really miss anything.
"He worked on Wednesday and I couldn't have been more thrilled.
"The plan was to school him today, which we couldn't do anyway due to the frost, as it was still minus 7C at 7am with us.
"We were then going to bring him to work here at Newbury on Sunday, but we found him to be lame on his foot again last night.
"We have X-rayed it and there is nothing there. I can't say any more than that at the moment other than we will monitor it and let people know how he progresses.
"The last time it happened he was sound within 24 to 48 hours and he loved going swimming, but I did want to get another run into him and that hasn't happened and now there is this, so I am just warning people."
Henderson's other RSA Chase candidate Long Run has taken over from his stable companion at the head of the betting with many bookmakers, and pleased Henderson in a recent schooling session.
"Long Run schooled in the indoor school with Yogi Breisner and all went well," the Seven Barrows handler added.

This doesn't seem too bad to me.

I've backed him at 10 on Betfair.

I look forward you pointing me to a post where I said he has no chance. Shouldn't take you longer than 30 minutes I'd imagine.

I was leaning towards Punchestowns but this sort of setback puts me off horses so close to the festival. Long Run looks the much likelier winner now imo.

Uimhiraceathair does not look good enough but has been backed all week - guessing the trainers opinion of him coupled with his record in the race is leading to the support.

Henderson, whose seven-year-old drifted to as big as 9-2 on Friday, said: "We had a sound horse this morning and he was able to canter a mile. We have had to keep everybody posted and yesterday he wasn't sound, but this morning he was.
"It really shouldn't be a problem. He was 100 percent after cantering and we now have to keep our fingers crossed that he's sound tonight.
"I think he was always more likely to run at Cheltenham than not run at Cheltenham. Nobody ever said he wouldn't get to the Festival, just that he was lame. Having said that, there's still a long way to go."

That's interesting - even though it froze overnight it can't have got anywhere near -7 here on Thursday night/Friday morning; our gallops were riding beautifully and weren't at all frozen, let alone still that temperature at 7am. It was hovering around zero at 8am though, admittedly. We're about 2m from Seven Barrows.

Now that yard have extra on at 6/1, now is the time to deliver the final coup de grace, and switch Long Run into the Arkle.:)

This doesn't seem too bad to me.

I've backed him at 10 on Betfair.

Subsequent to Henderson telling C4 today that Punchestowns was sound this morning and had been cantering, I'd say that's not a bad day's work on your part.

Now that yard have extra on at 6/1, now is the time to deliver the final coup de grace, and switch Long Run into the Arkle.:)

...I'm even beginning to think that could be the case. Very torn between my Riverside Theatre and Punchestowns positions. Long Run is clearly more than a substitute and a real danger to both. However, he is just 5 and together with his jumping which may not stand up to the test would represent a dodgy favourite in the RSA. Despite my feelings about RTh Long Run may well be better off in the Arkle, as a few of us have said.

Last edited:
Cheers. I laid it off at 5.5 as I got what i hoped for out of it. I would consider backing him again though on the day if he was around the 4/1 mark.

Does anyone have a strong opinion beyond the first two in the market?

Although I think Long Run is something special, I’m against him in the RSA as he is too young and his jumping may not stand up to such a gruelling test (rider also far from ideal, as discussed). I’d be more interested in Long Run in the Arkle.

I’d quite fancy The Nightingale if going for this rather than Aintree and Weird Al and Diamond Harry must of course be respected. But Punchestowns all the way for me. Lameness aside he has been schooling very well.

Last edited:
Back