Novice Chasers 2009/10

Cry and Kempes winning on the same day over fences-if I wasn't working today I could have lost a serious amount of money.
Shame Naas wasn't on last Sunday I had ACM as a mega lay.

Personally I believe An Cathaoir Mor had the heart and soul ripped out of him the last day. He has done well to win a grade 1 and has more good races in him but not this season.

Speaking at Navan on Saturday, Meade said of the seven-year-old: "Pandorama pulled a muscle in his hindquarters a few days ago and while he is recovering and is walking sound, we're running short of time before Cheltenham and he has to be considered a very doubtful runner at this stage."

Given that Mullins has not ruled out Cheltenham, and that he schooled the horse over fences at Fairyhouse earlier in the week and is due to do so again this evening at Leopardstown - is he seriously considering letting Mikael D'Haguenet make his British/Irish chasing debut at Cheltenham?

Hard to believe he would do that. Be interesting to know his thought process though ~ obviously every horse has to be treated on its merits but given the terrible luck he has had with the likes of Fiveforthree and Glencove Marina at similar stages of their career's he could be forgiven for thinking 'feck this, might as well get on with it while we can.'

It is just interesting - clearly with all the schooling they seem to be planning on definitely starting over fences this season but its just interesting that they have not ruled out chasing at Cheltenham at this stage considering he is surely unlikely to run before it.

Gary O'Brien confirms that running Mikael over fences without a prep at Cheltenham is very possible according to his owner today. Alot depending on how he goes in the next few minutes.

On the strength of that gallop, he isn't ready for the demands of a Championship steeplechase at Cheltenham.

On the strength of that gallop, he isn't ready for the demands of a Championship steeplechase at Cheltenham.

Didnt need that gallop to tell me that he should not be going to Cheltenham this season first time of asking. Fairyhouse and Punchestown please....horse that really captures the imagination.

Noticeable the lack of Nicholls horses in the novice chases or indeed the novice hurdlers - no real obvious ones coming through. That of course can easily be sorted with some purchases over the summer or a dark horse coming through but worth noting all the same.

Noticeable the lack of Nicholls horses in the novice chases or indeed the novice hurdlers - no real obvious ones coming through.

It's gonna be very interesting to see how Henderson manages Long Run and Punchestowns if they turn out to be the next chasing superstars. I doubt there are many trainers who could have got Denman back to his best after his troubles in 08/09.

Interesting watching the schooling sessions after racing today. Wasn't over impressed with M D'H's physique.

Rare Bob looked on very good terms with himself though.

MIKAEL does look lightly built, and not what people like to call a 'good chaser type', but he was very light over the ground and looked thoroughly interested in what he was doing. I couldn't see much wrong, but this was only exercise. Thankfully, no embarrassing tip-ups from anyone, although a couple of minor landing blips from one or two.

I've started to really have a look at the Arkle and at current prices, keep coming back to 2 horses - Riverside Theatre and Sports Line. The former has won 2 races effortlessly, jumped well and has high class hurdling form. He looks to have plenty of speed (something that is slightly worrying me about Somersby), but doesn't look likely to fail coming up the hill either.

The latter is more of a dark horse, and more difficult to explain the reasoning behind fancying him, but he looks tailor-made for the Arkle. Lovely jumper of a fence, and I wouldn't be bothered if Ruby chose Tataniano. You would imagine the likely pace of an Arkle would negate his head strong tendancies.

You must back Riverside Theatre if you haven't already done so. Much of the value has already been sucked out of this year's Festival. At current odds this is one of a small handful of standout opportunities left.

I think the good thing about SPORTSLINE is how athletic the beast is - and how enthusiastic. Looks like the sort to want to be up near the front, kept clear of the others, just held off getting over-sparky, and looks to have loads of ability to mount a fast finish if needed.

Can see Sportsline doing the donkey work a bit freely, still in front at the second last where Captain Cee Bee departs but swallowed up between the last 2 by Sizing Europe who powers up the hill to silence the doubters. Happy Days!

Richard Hoiles - look out! Nice bit of pre-race calling, DJ, which mightn't be too far adrift of reality.

Back