Novice Chasers 2009/10

Somersby ran another cracking race today, especially given that conditions were probably sharper than ideal. One to very much look forward to over fences.

Agreed about Somersby - and a few others of Hen's which have been hurdling this year - and I'm also looking forward to seeing Killyglen over a trip on softer ground. Punchestowns. And Big Buck's of course LOL

Would connections consider sending Harchibal over fences next season? I remember hearing pre xmas that it was an option they considered. I'd be surprised if they did now

That was before he won the Xmas Hurdle at Kempton, the creature.
I swear he winked at me as I took his portrait LOL

Dee Ee Williams will be a tremendous chaser.

Also think that Pride Of Dulcote will be a good novice next season too.

Would imagine getting round safely will be his priority tommorrow in the likely ground.

Perfect Smile is apparently expected to run a big race in the bumper at Punchestown today BTW.

Thought Pandorama did it well enough to give so much ground away at his fences and still beat a decent rival. Needs three miles already and think he will be tough to beat in the Grade 1 3 mile chase at Leopardstown over Christmas.

Im off the opinion Pandorama was not ouerly extended today. To my eyes he was never not going to get up and had anything but a hard race. His jumping will make him a horse punters will want to oppose but for me he enhanced his reputation today.

Im off the opinion Pandorama was not ouerly extended today. To my eyes he was never not going to get up and had anything but a hard race. His jumping will make him a horse punters will want to oppose but for me he enhanced his reputation today.

He actually jumped really well - but to the left. Should be fine back around Leopardstown and Navan.

In fairness Galileo you would be far sharper than me on these things but I thought overall it was a very positive introduction. I would be concerned with the constant front running tactics. Does the horse have to lead? Not ideal in better company.

He actually jumped really well - but to the left.

Not sure I would agree entirely with that, Gal.

First of all, it's a bit of an oxymoron, and second of all, I'd say Pandorama - in terms of getting from one side of a fence to the other - jumped perfectly adequately, rather than "really well".

What will please connections though, is the way he immediately picked-up again after jumping the last, and he definitely won with a bit in hand. He will give other novices plenty to think about this season, especially when upped to around 3m going left-handed.

Missed this for some reason or other.

Have to say Pandorama really impressed me with his jumping - he did go left but I love the way he attacks his fences and jumps with real style, as well as fluency. Fingers crossed for a soft ground festival.

Somersby made a perfectly adequate chasing debut today in a weak enough affair. Certainly has improvement to make in the jumping department, but he'd certainly be on my Arkle shortlist.

I would be concerned with the constant front running tactics. Does the horse have to lead? Not ideal in better company.

When Pandorama ran against Mikhael last year I commented in running to a friend that he looked slow. Reins were loose and he looked like he was going flat out half way through the race. He does keep going which was quite obvious from his introduction in Punchestown. His jumping, while good with an easy lead was a little low and if he's put under pressure I wonder if he'll get lower and lower. I think he needs to step up to 3 miles straight away and even then, he might be vulnerable to something quickening away from him two out, a bit like in Punchestown although it could be said Carberry let the other one go by him. Just like last season, he is looking good at the start of the season but just not sure if he'll progress.

One I got completely wrong was River Liane. I thought he had no chance of getting around at Naas and despite some early mistakes, he did jump ok in the main and stayed on well. Could be the type to do well between now and Crimbo. I also liked the way Mick The Man jumped at Punchestown and while not a grade 1 horse, I think he migth pick up a listed or grade 3 this season. He blew up three out.

Back