Novice Chasers 2012-13

granger

Senior Jockey
On paper it looks like some very exciting novices from last season will be going chasing from both sides of the water this season ahead

One of the horses i'm looking forward to is due to debut over fences tomorrow.

The Mullins trained Back in Focus in the 4.05 at Listowel tomorrow

It's that time when all the silage eaters come out of hiding for their winter sport...roll on Dundalk..

'There is something about a horse jumping over a fence, something that makes you feel good. Perhaps it's the risk, the gamble. In any event it's a thing I need.'

William Faulkner

A touch of Denman about him the way he kept galloping and routed his opponents. Dont know how he will act on better ground but today he was v good. A fine big strong horse to boot.

Last edited:
Mullins said after today's success: "He came here with a big reputation and a lot of people rang me after he won his point-to-point telling me to buy him but I thought it would be a bit risky buying a 6yo point-to-pointer.

"He eventually came to me after being in the UK and he looks a useful acquisition.

"I met the Costello’s (trained him point-to-pointing) yesterday and they said he would love this ground. Being a Bob Back you wouldn’t think that would be the case.

"He has a huge long stride and I said to Ruby don’t be afraid to go on if there isn’t much of a pace because he keeps on galloping.

"He took one big breath going out for the last circuit but he just gallops all day and he is one with a future I hope.

"He is such a big horse I told the owners to keep him in training over the summer to stop him from getting heavy. He will need two and a half miles plus."

Paddy Powers introduced Back In Focus at 20/1 in the betting for the RSA Chase at next year's Cheltenham Festival.

A touch of Denman about him the way he kept galloping and routed his opponents. Dont know how he will act on better ground but today he was v good. A fine big strong horse to boot.

Hopefully he's better than that though :)

Worry about him on anything that's not a bog but he's a proper tool and is a lovely looking horse to boot :)

The owner said: "He was very impressive, but I think he does need that soft ground. He won first time for us at Haydock and then we ummed and ahhed whether to take him to Cheltenham and Aintree or not.

"We missed Cheltenham because we didn't want to run him down that hill, but we took him to Aintree on fast ground and that was where he got his leg injury. We rued the day we did that so I think you'll find that in the future, unless it's soft ground, we'll not risk him.

"He's a lovely horse, he has a fantastic long stride and he just gallops and gallops. He had a few slightly sketchy jumps at the beginning, but once he got into his rhythm he was fantastic.

"I think where he goes from here will almost certainly be ground dependant, so let's just hope it rains between now and next March! I'm sure Willie will be looking for some better races for him now, but I don't know where he'll go next."

Nicky Henderson - possible novice chasers

Binocular - "Don't write him off, as we still think he's a champion hurdle horse, but if that were not the case we try him over fences."

Broadbackbob - "Injured himself and missed Neptune Novices hurdle. This type of disappointment happens all the time, but at least we know he is a machine, who did nothing but improve last season and his future now lies over fences. An exciting prospect."

Captain Conan - "Was a huge rangy backward horse last year. During his summer break he has done particularly well and will now go novice chasing this year. He looks a chaser through and through and may start over 2m."

Cash And Go - "Not overbig but has strengthened up massively and has a willing attitude. 2m chases will be on the agenda but he might have an outing over hurdles to begin with."
Greatwood possibly?

Hadrians Approach - "An outing or two over hurdles, but will make a good staying novice chaser."

Malt Master - "He has strengthened up and will probably go novice chasing, but he could go for a h'cap hurdle fist.

Molotof - "Has done fantastically well over the summer and is now a big scopey sort, who goes novice chasing and could be suited by 2 1/2m in time. There is a chance he might have another outing over hurdles, with the Greatwood a possible early season target."

Nelson's Bridge - "He is a real chasing type, who has come in looking really well and will have benefitted from last years experience."

Openhearted - "He improved beyond all belief last season despite him being on the weak side, as he is a huge horse, who will relish the prospect of jumping a fence"

Oscar Nominee - "Has taken time to develop mentally and is still on the upgrade and could possibly have a run in a h'cap or two before he goes chasing which will be an exciting time."

Simonsig - "He is an exceptionally talented horse. We now have a choice of either staying over Hurdles or going over fences with the Arkle possibly being his target."

Tetlami - "He could almost go to the top of the h'cap hurdle pecking order and he may run in a few h'cap hurdles but he does jump very well and could quite easily go novice chasing."

Tour D'Argent - "Has strengthened up massively and will now start his novice chasing campaign as he jumps really well. May have an outing over hurdles."

Binocular - "Don't write him off, as we still think he's a champion hurdle horse, but if that were not the case we try him over fences."

Cant see that working at all. Also im not keen when hurdlers go chasing later in career (relatively speaking) Thinking Iris gift here

But good summary from NH.

McManus would be as well getting the cheque book out and buying Triofolum off of Gigginstown if he wants an Arkle horse. Can't believe they're sticking to hurdles with that horse.

Boston Bob, Fingal Bay, Dynaste, Simonsig, Cinders and Ashes, Champagne Fever, Back in Focus. Could be worse

Oscar Whisky - "He is not far off the top over 2m as a hurdler and is very impressive over 2 1/2m. We may see him novice chasing also so just watch this space."

Back