Novice chasers 2014/15

Maybe he's not as bad as I make him out to be but I'd there's at least 10 I'd rather have on him than Mullins who seems to get plenty of hurdles wrong though having just checked on his %'s he has a better record over fences than hurdles (small level stakes loss as opposed to monster level stakes loss too) so we'll see how this season pans out.

Martin

Maybe he's not as bad as I make him out to be but I'd there's at least 10 I'd rather have on him than Mullins who seems to get plenty of hurdles wrong though having just checked on his %'s he has a better record over fences than hurdles (small level stakes loss as opposed to monster level stakes loss too) so we'll see how this season pans out.

Martin

One jockey would suit this horse very much

Clue - His nickname is Alice

My Tent or Yours is gonna see a fence or two schooling before too long.

This worries me a tad as I have a very nice position on Josses Hill for the Arkle.

I saw a interview the other day somewhere and Nicky seemed more keen on keeping him hurdling but did say he'd wait and see what others were doing.

The problem with that is he might have to wait longer than he'd like to and end up missing an early trial. I can't see Nicky doing that and at a guess I'd say he'll stay hurdling.

The best clue to what he will do is what AP said. He couldn't believe a horse could pull so hard and still finish like he did in the Champion.

From that you would have to think they'll be looking at ways to get him turned off during a race and having one more crack.

Until he does learn to settle sending him fencing could be a risk they may not be prepared to take.

Received Mark Howard's One Jump Ahead book yesterday (start of the NH season for me and always a great read) and these are a couple of MTOY quotes:

Henderson: "..The dilemma is whether to stay over hurdles or try him over fences and I suspect the decision will have to be made on the schooling ground and we will see what AP thinks. He is hugely talented but I hope he will learn to settle better"
Anthony Bromley: "The Champion Hurdle was denied us last season but MTOY & TNO both remain over timber this time and either one could easily rectify that..."

Personally I think he'll stay hurdling

Henderson: "..The dilemma is whether to stay over hurdles or try him over fences and I suspect the decision will have to be made on the schooling ground and we will see what AP thinks. He is hugely talented but I hope he will learn to settle better"

Bigger obstacles, and more of them, might curb his exuberance and be the making of him.
Much as I love him as a hurdler, he has the potential to be a significantly better chaser and it would be a crying shame should he not have the opportunity to realise it.

Received Mark Howard's One Jump Ahead book yesterday (start of the NH season for me and always a great read) and these are a couple of MTOY quotes:

Anthony Bromley: "The Champion Hurdle was denied us last season but MTOY & TNO both remain over timber this time and either one could easily rectify that..."

Personally I think he'll stay hurdling

Yes I got mine too, a freebie no less, I Picked a load up from his house and the old lady there gave me a copy!

Interesting to note that Mullins is intending a staying hurdles campaign for Briar Hill.

Last edited:
I had to pay for mine, but is great value at £9.00, especially compared to the Racing Post. I'm intrigued though fonz... what "load" were you picking up and was it his old lady or just an old lady??

Reet - Assuming he can jump, I guess he'll get the opportunity and it will be a question of this season or next. Another obvious factor will be Jezki

Interesting to note that Mullins is intending a staying hurdles campaign for Briar Hill.

If they drop Annie in trip and keep her to mares races (i think they will), this boy is best suited for the 3 mile hurdle

Could see Briars winning a number of Irish races - he still has to win me over though

I had to pay for mine, but is great value at £9.00, especially compared to the Racing Post. I'm intrigued though fonz... what "load" were you picking up and was it his old lady or just an old lady??

Reet - Assuming he can jump, I guess he'll get the opportunity and it will be a question of this season or next. Another obvious factor will be Jezki

I work for a local-ish collection and delivery firm and he was sending some boxes down the country.As for the old lady, not sure who she was, possibley works for his publishing company.

So what is the best bet for WPM horses?

Faugheen CH
Un des Sceaux Arkle
Vautour / Annie Power / RSA or 2m4f
Briar Hill RSA or World Hurdle
Djakadam Gold Cup.

Or am I miles out?

I'd say you are mostly right

Vautour 2m4f
Briar hill world hurdle
Annie - mares and Aintree hurdle. Punchestown 3m depending on when Easter falls
Pont Alexandre, Abbysial - RSA

Im nailing my colours to the Faugheen mast for the CH

Champagne Fever also a strong Gold Cup hope too.

Think Annie will go Jewson. Got Glen's Melody to take care of the Mares race.
Don Poli - RSA
Vautour - Arkle
Faugheen - Champion

Hope not. Don Poli has really grown on me. His run behind Beat That seriously impressed me.

Thought i read that GM was staying in training. Though I could just be hoping/imagining that.

Back