Novice Chases 2021-22

That certainly seemed the way Venetia was leaning. The horse has never run over 3m and imo it’s one thing to say he wasn’t stopping over 2.5 in the Dipper but another to say he’d get 3m at the festival. Far be it from me to doubt her though

It probably all depends on where Galopin goes but I reckon LHP would have a great chance against Bob Olinger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That showed me! Venetia knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaillard du Mesnel stayed on well for third without ever bothering the first two. Unless he wins a grade 1 at Punchestown, he will be a novice again next season and I'm wondering might he be a contender in the 3 mile 6 next year.

So happy to see gallopin is ok he got his leg caught in the rein .it looked bad and I felt sick but hes ok.
What a horse.

A win for the week on that but a feeling of hollowness

Didn't think Townend done anything wrong

The faller looked a superstar - think WPM said they would bring him down in trip

A win for the week on that but a feeling of hollowness

Didn't think Townend done anything wrong

The faller looked a superstar - think WPM said they would bring him down in trip

Down in trip and I was fuming for not going up :lol:

Not sure why they would step him down in trip seeing as they have energumene

He indeed reminds me more of a kauto star type and up I'd be going next season

He did balloon hop the first ten fences so much more to come

his running style would worry me a bit at 3m, he won over hurdles at that distance though and clearly has the engine under the bonnet but willie got a job on his hands to temper that enthusiasm, particularly with his jumping.

From 4 out to the last he's got there about 1length ahead of Allaho which is good going considering he's a novice.

It would also worry me a bit at 3 miles but where else can he go?

Energumene looked different class when held up and I would think another qmccc would be on the agenda

Allaho has the Ryanair tied up and is likely to go the John Durkan route so the King George is unlikely for him

Willie did say he intends to come and raid the English courses more now.......

Wouldn't surprise me if Galopin has his first go at 3 miles in the King George

His jumping round Kempton, which has some of the stiffest fences in the country, would be more of an assett than a drawback

Last edited:
I have to say that nothing at all worries me about Galopin, he’s class personified. It wasn’t the jump that let him down, it was the skidded landing in the ground that did for him. Might have been better just to pop the fence but that’d be like asking Da Vinci to put a couple of cartoon eyes in as his finishing touch to the Mona Lisa.

GDC over a stone a better horse but I'd be surprised if Stattler isn't a single figure price for the Gold Cup in a years time.

The brother was saying the other night he thought Stattler looked the more likely Gold Cup type. He has a better eye than me for that kind of thing.

Stattler has more pace than you'd imagine and clearly stays

Whatever the lexus at Christmas is now called would seem his immediate first big target

Last edited:
Saw someone discussing Galliard Des Mesnil (Willies horse, Donnelly colours, cant spell it) and him for next years NHC.

How does one keep its novice status for another season. We obv had Galvin and Fred recently as well? Surely can’t be you just haven’t won a race?

Saw someone discussing Galliard Des Mesnil (Willies horse, Donnelly colours, cant spell it) and him for next years NHC.

How does one keep its novice status for another season. We obv had Galvin and Fred recently as well? Surely can’t be you just haven’t won a race?

Basically yes it is, over fences as of the start of the season.

Last edited:
Incredible. Not sure I like that tbh though.

That's basically what happened to Galvin.

Didn't get his head in front in four outings in his first season as a novice-chaser in 19/20, but was unstoppable in his second season in 20/21.

Back