Novice Hurdlers 2009/2010

Guest_

At the Start
Might be an idea to keep these all on the one thread. Tell Massini won well yesterday at Cheltenham and travelled with plenty of class throughout the race.

But Quel Esprit is the one horse that has me really excited all season far - just love the horse and he did nothing to turn me off him today (admittidly at a really short price). Mullins should stick him in the Irish staying races already as I think he would eat them alive.

Big novice hurdle at Navan shortly...

I'm not saying Rhyl Accord would have won that race by any stretch of the imagination, but what kind of ride was that by Ruby?

I'm not saying Rhyl Accord would have won that race by any stretch of the imagination, but what kind of ride was that by Ruby?

Gave the horse a lot to do but the fact that he could only finish two lengths in front of The Hurl says an awful lot and makes me inclined to think that Walsh knew that he was holding onto very little from a fair way out. Whatever about that, Cawley gave Shinrock Paddy a fairly ballsy ride kicking for home that far out.

Not sure the form amounts to a whole lot tbh.

Interesting that the horse only touched 8.0 in-running ~ given that he didn't look to be travelling all that well down the back I had thought he might have gone a bit higher.

Posted this on the other thread but i'm with you Gal, I was really taken with Quel Esprit and his performance. He is a beast of an animal and should be difficult to beat in soft ground. I wouldn;t back him for the festival but he is one to follow.

We met Quel Esprit's owners during the 2008 Festival. Lovely crowd they were, and I'm delighted they appear to have such a useful horse on their hands.

Irish National winner in three years time (unless Only The Best goes for the race :lol:).

Menorah beats the Nicky Henderson hotpot in the first at Kempton.

Some Present runs in the Grade 1 tomorrow at Leopardstown against the likes of Fionngas.

Looked a horrible race...Some Present running a stinker (well done Mr Mullins), another stinker from Sweeps Hill and Fionngas hung the whole way (all wins have come the other way). Dunguib is much the best but it shows how little he has actually beaten so far.

Those novices like Sweeps Hill and Some Present have a lot of runs under their belt this season on soft ground and Some Present has already travelled to Cheltenham. It could be they just need a break. Form is all over the place. they might have made a good decision to give Dunguib a break.

I see Ruby has opted to ride Quadrillon instead of Kerb Appeal in the grade 2 Purcell Memorial Hurdle at Thurles today. I'd have thought that Kerb Appeal was the more progressive of the two.

Intersting to hear Nick Williams say he's sweeter on Reve De Sivola chances for the Baring Bingham than he is on Diamond Harry for the RSA.

Reve de Sivola arguably has Sun Alliance standard winning form already. The main problem as gus suggests is whether he is capable of reproducing it under likely Festival conditions. I backed him for the race at 20's early in the season, just after he won the Persian War, but in truth I don't think he is a good enough jumper to win the race.

Quel Esprit didn't need the run. As pointed out before, Ruby went too slow and apologised to owners afterwards. Should have beaten Coole River well that day which is why Quel Esprit was paid a compliment today.....

a forgotten horse seems to be, Loosen My Load, won nicely in cheltenham in november, anyone heard anything about him since, is he going to the festival?

Intersting to hear Nick Williams say he's sweeter on Reve De Sivola chances for the Baring Bingham than he is on Diamond Harry for the RSA.

Yes he seems to fancy Reve to run a big one. It was clearly going to be either him or DH if you put him on the spot as to his likeliest winner though and DH is up against a small handful of very promising Gold Cup prospects in future years, not least the very fine Punchestowns and the supremely talented Long Run.

Back