Novice Hurdlers 2020/21

I’ve had a nibble at the 33's as well. Negative it's been a long time since Jonjo had a festival novice, but much rather back him than Flinteur Sacre who’s not seen a hurdle at half the price...

Henderson likes to start his better novices at Newbury and he has Gran Luna out tomorrow, 2:00, although her odds will be prohibitive. He also fields Dusart, 12:55, in opposition to Soaring Glory and it’ll be interesting to see how he copes.

Good luck if you are backing them, especially Grand Luna.

I don't know much about the opponents that Will Victory has beaten abroad, but he has some racing experience on his side plus he's won several races so could turn out to be useful himself. At the odds with Sam Twiston Davies booked to ride I actually think Will Victory is a bet.

What prices would they be if Charlie Mann trained Grand Luna etc, and Nicky Henderson trained Will Victory?

Anyways, it is merely another horse race, so anything can indeed happen, including the bleedin obvious, with this odds on favourite in the line up.

I'm prepared to lose, but obviously speculating to win, **** it.

Last edited:
Henderson likes to start his better novices at Newbury and he has Gran Luna out tomorrow, 2:00, although her odds will be prohibitive. He also fields Dusart, 12:55, in opposition to Soaring Glory and it’ll be interesting to see how he copes.

Dark horse
Gran Luna
4f Spanish Moon - Coppena
Surrey Racing (GL)
1-
RPR 93b
We saw plenty right from the start with this filly and she landed what I think was a strong bumper at Newbury before the sales bumper at the track, which we'd been eyeing, was cancelled due to the coronavirus. My hopes are high she can reach the top in mares' novice hurdles and show how talented she is. Trainer

Dark horse
Gran Luna
4f Spanish Moon - Coppena
Surrey Racing (GL)
1-
RPR 93b
We saw plenty right from the start with this filly and she landed what I think was a strong bumper at Newbury before the sales bumper at the track, which we'd been eyeing, was cancelled due to the coronavirus. My hopes are high she can reach the top in mares' novice hurdles and show how talented she is. Trainer

4/11 now. A Harry Findlay type punt, lol. :)

Cheers yeah giving weight too so was an eye-catching run.

I wonder if being a French bred with her breeding etc if she will be even better with some cut in the ground in future.

One for the tracker.

Last edited:

Well, Dusart was pretty impressive beating Soaring Glory as he did. Not sure what to make of Gran Luna, she won in a workmanlike way after having her back legs taken from her at the third. Will wait and see next time.

Henderson said “ I'm not sure what happened at the one down the back but it just seemed to unnerve GRAN LUNA for a bit. She blew up at the last, which is a bad time when you need to get a second wind and you're that close to the finish. Like a lot of ours, she just needed it and was stuffy. I'd have thought the Listed novice for mares back here at the end of the month might be next”

Suppose I would as fancied the second, but was impressed by Dusart & was some performance on his first start. Jumped great and stayed on really nicely. Was getting 6lb from the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] but not sure he’d turn it around necessarily and think they’re both decent

Qualismart (12.00 Market Rasen) also looked potentially smart on his first ever racecourse visit. That race wouldn’t have been the same depth or quality of Newbury, but he tanked round, jumping well bar one and is one to note

The Soaring Glory / Dusart race was run in a crawl and Dusart won the sprint. The rest weren't good enough even with such a slow place. Who knows what the result would have been if they'd gone a proper gallop. It leaves the jury out on both to be honest.

Given Dusart's breeding (you wouldn't want him for a Supreme), when he shows that kind of speed, he could end up being one of those horses Nicky has that ends up in no mans land. Certainly he's be one wanting to go up in trip and is probably going to end up being more of a Ballymore horse you'd think.

I want to see Soaring Glory again over 2 miles in one of the good trials that usually end up being a proper two mile test. Having said that I wouldn't put it past Jonjo to attempt to plot him up for the County, or at least a decent handicap pot somewhere instead.

Which races Ferny Hollow and Ballyadam end up in come Cheltenham will be the winter puzzle after reading Mullins' stable tour comments about Ferny

Last edited:
Doesn’t hold a Royal Bond entry, so might start him off quietly, before aiming at the Future Champions Novice over 2m at Leopardstown. Possibly the Navan Novice Hurdle over 2m4f might be on the cards, if they choose to step him up.

Last edited:
Back