Novice & Juvenile Hurdlers 2019/20

Harry Fry - "Unfortunately GET IN THE QUEUE has picked up an injury and will be out until the second half of the season. We will look forward to seeing him return later in the year."

How long have these stable tours been a thing?

Did this happen on a smaller scale in the 80s?

They have been a staple of racing coverage all the time that I've been following it. The Irish Racing Annual was filled with them.

Haha, apologies. Getting my cards confused. Some really good stuff for so early in the season this weekend.

A couple of early season thoughts...

Turnpike Trip never looked like getting beaten yesterday until he made a hash of the last and then battled back well. The race has been won by some good sorts over the years, so won’t be under estimating him

The other one to go in my notebook was Sidi Ismael at Kelso. Very weak in the betting but travelled like the best horse and just got run out of it in the last 100 yards. Assuming he comes on for the run, think he’s looks a cert for a northern novice hurdle

Chepstow kicks off the national hunt on Friday with the Persian War launching things with a bang, akin to the QEII spearheading Royal Ascot for jumps fans!

I don't see a Monsignor or Valley Henry in there but it has been priced up so warrants a second look.

Harambe heads the market but he seemed more effective on flatter tracks last term.

Money has arrived for the Tizzard buy out of JOhn Joe Walsh's yard Inquisitive Look, he looked a bit headstrong to me and lack of hurdling experience in graded company may stand against him.

Philip Hobbs has two entered in the race but McNamara's Band appeals on the basis of his ready c&d win back in the spring. His other runner, Thyme Hill, holds several entries in the coming days which suggests that he may take on less taxing company for his initial start over hurdles.

I liked Jerry Scott as a trainer around galloping tracks and his Wincanton winner Hey Bud has the ability to improve for a step up in trip based on pedigree alone.

Elliott has a particularly strong hand this year by the looks of it. Think will be:-
Malone Road- 2 miles
Envoi Allen 2 mile 5

Both could be special.

Proschema was very prominent in my short-list for the Ebor but didn't quite squeeze in. Now with Skelton, he makes his hurdling debut tomorrow. If he's anywhere near as good as I think and can translate his ability to his new discipline he will be very hard to beat.

Plenty of money for Thyme Hill this morning. This is a stiff task first time out over timber against some useful opposition.

Firstly it just feels a bit weird having Chepstow kicking off on a Friday and why is the grade 2 feature the first race of the day??

Anyway, that besides it looks a cracking card. My two original picks were Thyme Hill (cracking bumper form) and Trevelyn’s Corn (lofty reputation and Nicholls factor) and at the prices will be backing Trevelyn’s

Silver Forever should win the 5.35 and has been backed this morning. Will also have a small ew saver on Kissfrokatie as there’s not much between them on bumper form

Impressive performance and already a big boost for the Champion Bumper.

There must be something wrong with Trevelyn's, that was dire.

Quite taken with Glory and Fortune at Huntingdon this afternoon. He didn’t jump particularly well, left his legs behind at the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] last, but travelled supremely well and think he could be pretty good

The other novice to catch my eyes over the last few days is Daylight Katie who dotted up at Fairyhouse on Saturday. Long odds-on so expected to win, but loved her jumping and reckon she’s top drawer

Punchestown champion bumper 3rd Beacon Edge goes in the first today at the same course. He'll probably win, but I'm taking a chance ew on one of the other Giggi runners The Very Man

He won a decent Navan bumper (Bigbadandbeautiful in 3rd) then disappointed as favourite for a Fairyhouse race over Easter. Hopefully he'll bounce back and take to hurdling

Back