Older Flat Horses 2010

Thanks for the topic title change, Signore Galileo! It's a very niggly little thing, I know, but you've made an old wummun happy, if that counts for anything!

The three-year-old was having his last start for the Leon Corstens stable after 95 per cent of the colt was recently sold to Coolmore Stud for $10.25 million.
He is bound for champion Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien.
"He raced today as though 1400m or a mile (1600m) would suit him," Nikolic said.
"I have no doubt if they step him up to those distances, that's when Aidan will get the best out of him.
"He came off the bridle at about the 400m and we were lucky to run in the first four, but he kept putting his head out like only he knows how to."

The quote above suggests Starpangledbanner could well miss the sprints at Ascot and go for the Queen Anne leaving Rip Van Winkle to head for the Prince Of Wales Stakes perhaps.

Goldikova to start off in the Isaphan and then onto the Queen Anne. Would love to see her v Rip. Who else is there in the mile division? Alexandros, though he is a level below.

Is he definitely still in training? I was very impressed with him as a 2 year old - would imagine he would take some time to find his feet though.

I happen to see Arazan when Oxx had a couple of horses in the preparadering at the Curragh, I think it was for the Guineas Meeting, where he (Arazan) was eventually a non-runner. stunned by the horse, and a big fan ever since. really hope he will make up for all the lost time ....

Fame And Glory and Rip Van Winkle both looked in great nick today - particularly Fame And Glory. The Rip gallop was missed on tv but he just sat in behind his two stablemates the whole way - all finishing on the bridle. Was trying to get a proper look at his front feet - definitely look like they have done a job on them over the winter.

Not so good news for Arazan -

John Oxx's exciting prospect Arazan is still not ready for a return to the track after suffering another setback last week.
The Anabaa colt has been off the track since finishing third in the 2008 National Stakes having suffered a number of problems during what Oxx hoped would be a Classic-winning campaign last year.
The trainer still retains plenty of faith in his four-year-old but is unsure when he will make his belated return.
"Unfortunately he's had a setback in the last week so he is going to miss the Gladness Stakes and the alternative which was probably the Heritage Stakes at Leopardstown a week later," Oxx told At The Races.
"I'm not sure how long this latest setback is going to hold him up for but he's not cantering at the moment and won't be doing any fast work next week.
"Up to that point he had been doing well and was in great shape but we'll just have to see now how the next week or two goes.
"We're looking forward to him and he would be our flagship horse this year, but it's a long time since he's raced and it's a long road back.
"He had really been showing us a lot last spring and we were delighted with him in the run-up to the 2000 Guineas, but that was a long time ago now and I wouldn't make any predictions.
"He's a potential top-class horse, a potential Group One winner and he has a very good pedigree as a half-brother to Azamour.
"Obviously he's a horse you'd have to give every chance to as he's a potential stallion.
"I suppose if he was just a handicapper he would have been on his way to the sales by now."

So frustrating about Arazan. Even still Oxx is calling him a potential Group 1 winner, which is not his usual style at all.

191.JPG

Rip Van Winkle - feet wrapped up before the gallop

222.JPG

Just before his gallop

AGE looks very narrow, especially compared to FAME in those pix. Nowt between his front legs! Yes, I want to know what's with the booties? Were the front feet also filled, Gal, or couldn't you see?

Back