Older Flat Horses 2010

Great to see. Hope they avoid the fillies races altogether with her and take in an open programme with her - would be great to see

I'd agree with that. Assuming, of course, that she doesn't go downhill.

How far do you need to go back for a better miler (I still think there could be more to come)?

I'd say the last female miler of her standard was Miesque.

Great to see. Hope they avoid the fillies races altogether with her and take in an open programme with her - would be great to see. How far do you need to go back for a better miler (I still think there could be more to come)?

2007 - Zarkava

Do you really think Zarkava showed better form over a mile than Goldikova? I think her form (I'd need to check again to be sure) was a good 10 pounds below that of Goldikova.

What, when she tonked her in the guineas?

She never had the chance to prove it afterwards but she laughed at Goldikova. They weren't talking about her in this way until Zarkava moved out of the miling division and stepped uo in trip.

What, when she tonked her in the guineas?

She never had the chance to prove it afterwards but she laughed at Goldikova. They weren't talking about her in this way until Zarkava moved out of the miling division and stepped uo in trip.

Goldikova is a far superior beast now compared to the filly Zarkava beat in the early part of the year. For instance what would Goldikova do to the likes of Halfway To Heaven now? Absolutely thump her thats what.

I can only go on what I saw Gal and I saw Zarkava accelerate past the worlds best miler with ease beating her an easy two lengths. I'm not even sure the whip was used.

I agree Goldikova has improved but so did Zarkava and to be honest I still think it's a bit of a nonsense that Goldikova will go down as the higher rated filly. Zarkava was the better filly in my opinion and the results back that up.

If Zarkava was to be the highest rated filly miler, she should have either stayed at a mile and put in a top top performance or stayed in training and proved herself at this trip as a 4 year old.

The Goldikova we saw in the French Guineas was nothing like the same animal now (or even later that season). It's taking form much too collaterally for me.

I agree with Galileo - Goldikova would beat HTH by half a track now (nice filly though she was) and whilst Zarkava could have been superior over a mile, she never proved herself capable of a performance of the likes Goldikova has produced.

For me, over a mile;
Zarkava 120+
Goldikova 132

I can only go on what I saw Gal and I saw Zarkava accelerate past the worlds best miler with ease beating her an easy two lengths. I'm not even sure the whip was used.

I agree Goldikova has improved but so did Zarkava and to be honest I still think it's a bit of a nonsense that Goldikova will go down as the higher rated filly. Zarkava was the better filly in my opinion and the results back that up.

It is not Goldikova's fault that Zarkava's connections did not have the balls to race her on at four.

The results or the form book DO NOT tell us that Zarkava was the better filly or achieved a higher rating over a mile - it just tells us she beat her early in the year.

If Sir Percy did not run again after his Derby - would the same thing have been said of Dylan Thomas? Because SP beat Dylan Thomas on merit on that day DT could never be rated his superior?

I can only go on what I saw Gal and I saw Zarkava accelerate past the worlds best miler with ease beating her an easy two lengths.

Goldikova wasn't even a very good filly miler at that point.

I agree Goldikova has improved but so did Zarkava and to be honest I still think it's a bit of a nonsense that Goldikova will go down as the higher rated filly.

Zarkava never ran again over a mile so I'm not sure how you can say she improved?

Zarkava was the better filly in my opinion and the results back that up.
I don't think they do at all. Even allotting Zarkava a high rating for the Arc, she still is inferior to Goldikova on the ratings - the fact she beat her twice doesn't come into it for me, as Goldikova improved out of all recognition after that - just look at how much Goldikova was beating fillies behind her in the Guineas and Diane.

If Zarkava stayed in training and then/or produced a performance the likes of which Goldikova did at Deauville this year, then I'd agree with you but she didn't so it's Goldikova by a long way over a mile for me.

"I don't think they do at all. Even allotting Zarkava a high rating for the Arc, she still is inferior to Goldikova on the ratings - the fact she beat her twice doesn't come into it for me, as Goldikova improved out of all recognition after that - just look at how much Goldikova was beating fillies behind her in the Guineas and Diane."

This is the point I take issue with. I don't have the RP site at work so will post later but I don't think she has improved quite as dramatically as everyone makes out. I'm not sure she has needed to. The only genuine group 1 miler she has beaten is Raven's Pass (Or was it Henry I can't remember) and maybe Kip Deville. The Marois was a great performance but Aqlaam and Virtual won the two worst G1's I can remember...

Zarkava improved to laugh at a field of G1 colts over a mile and a half beating a certain horse who is a very solid yardstick in the Arc as easily as STS did.. Much like STS, Zarkava's style of running meant she never won by far but if they'd met again over a mile that year I would have had the house on the Aga Khan's filly..

I'll go through it in more detail later and don't get me wrong, I think Goldikova is a great filly, I just don't think that she was the best of her generation.

MURTAGH BASKS IN CHAMPION GLORY
By Nick Grant, Press Association Sport
J P Murtagh Profile
Click here to follow us on Twitter!
Click here for more racing news

Being crowned champion jockey in Ireland for the first time in over a decade will perhaps be the abiding memory Johnny Murtagh takes from 2009.
But there are many others, not least partnering Yeats to an unprecedented fourth Gold Cup at Royal Ascot, where he again took top riding honours - despite suspension ruling him out of the last two days.
Classic success also came his way, with the promise of more to come next year as Ballydoyle already house the Epsom Derby favourite in the unbeaten St Nicholas Abbey.
Murtagh reflected: "It was great being champion for the first time in 11 years in Ireland.
"It's been a long time and a lot of hard work.
"It started off at the first Curragh meeting in March and we went right up to the end of November, where we finished off in Dundalk. It was very satisfying for me.
"The main thing for me at the start of the year was to try and win as many races as I could.
"You know Ballydoyle will be very on target for the big races and meetings, but come September time when I was still in with a chance that's when I really had to start working hard and knuckle down for the last couple of months.
"My agent (Eddie Byrne) is very good. He tries to get me on the favourite or second favourite in every race. He does a great job and works very hard."
The Curragh in May proved a happy-hunting ground, with Murtagh claiming the Irish 2000 Guineas on Mastercraftsman for Aidan O'Brien and following up 24 hours later in the fillies' version on Again, running in the Coolmore colours but trained by David Wachman.
Murtagh, who was able to recharge the batteries with his family at the jockeys' challenge weekend hosted by the Mauritius earlier this month, went on: "I suppose Irish Guineas weekend has to be one of my highlights of the season.
"I won the 2000 Guineas on Mastercraftsman and then I rode the 1000 Guineas on Again. It was the first time I had won the Irish 1000. That was a bit special.
"Yeats winning his fourth Gold Cup was the highlight of Royal Ascot. I was suspended for the last two days and to again come out leading rider was a great achievement, it's the best meeting of the year in England."
Rip Van Winkle carried Murtagh's hopes in a number of big races and while Sea The Stars was a stumbling block in most of them, the absence of John Oxx's superstar from the Sussex Stakes at Glorious Goodwood saw the pair bag the big one his rider had been adamant he would.
'The Rip' is set to stay in training next year and the search is already on for another Sea The Stars.
Many a good judge thinks we may have already seen him in St Nicholas Abbey, the dazzling winner of the Racing Post Trophy.
Murtagh is in no doubt he is a colt of real substance.
He said: "St Nicholas Abbey is very exciting. Sometimes people are thinking you are talking a bit through your pocket, but I think the horse showed everyone in Doncaster what he is capable of doing.
"Having his third race he went to a Group One. The best horses in England were there and he absolutely spread-eagled a top-class field. He would be the one I am most looking forward to next year.
"We had a lot of two-year-old winners this year, we won a lot of maidens. But then they have to step up and keep improving and I suppose the one horse that made the most improvement is the one that won at Saint-Cloud, Jan Vermeer.
"I thought on the day he was a very good winner of that Group One. He is a very exciting prospect. Those two horses are very nice.
"We also have Steinbeck, who was fourth in the Dewhurst. He is by Footstepsinthesand and that was only his second run of the year.
"Overall I think our two-year-olds are very strong this year and hopefully with progress and a good winter under their belt they can be racing in all the top races next year.
"Aidan knows how to improve those two-year-olds and we are looking forward to a very good year.
"I'm not sure which races Aidan has in mind for them. St Nicholas Abbey definitely showed a lot of speed in the Racing Post Trophy, which is over the mile. But he settles really well so I don't think there is any problem getting a mile and a half.
"I think he is just a very good horse.
"Mastercraftsman and Yeats retired to stud, so we will miss those two. But we have got Rip Van Winkle and Fame And Glory.
"It's hard for three-year-olds as the season starts early with the preparation for the (2000) Guineas, which was the case for 'Rip'.
"Now they are getting older, there is not the same rush. There are plenty of Group Ones, so with the older horses you can take your time.
"Rip Van Winkle never had a clear run last year, so hopefully he will improve and could be very special next year.
"Fame And Glory should be competing in all the good mile-and-a-half races."

I like the look of alot of the 2yr colts that Ballydoyle have for next year but the fillies could be better i think Lillie Langtry is just a top 2yr old and for her to progress will be hard the others are Caberet wasnt at her best in france so we'll have to wait and see the fillies i'd be looking most at is You'll Be Mine and Remember When there not hard raced 2yr olds so there can only be more to come

Should be the top Older horse in 2010 I reckon.

Think you could well be right. What did you make of the fact he was off the bridle so early in the Arc yet stayed on so well? I wonder did it have something to do with using a lot of energy early on to get a position.

Shame, I guess they know what they are doing, maybe he only beat trees. Do you know of any others they are keeping in training besides RVW, F&G and AOA?

Dixie Music is the only interesting other older horse they have but I am not sure if he is just a lead horse or had a set back that kept him off the track.

Back