Order Of Merit

If he was mine he would be running at Ayr next weekend.The horse will never have another chance to win a pot as big as this.If need be he could be retired or miss a season.

Originally posted by Relkeel+Apr 12 2008, 07:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Relkeel @ Apr 12 2008, 07:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galileo@Apr 12 2008, 05:49 PM
Royal Shakespere won this in similar fashion previously but has not been the same horse since.

Utter, utter b0ll0cks.

Apart from the fact that Royal Shakespeare ran just about as well as he ever has when he ran in The Scottish Champion Hurdle (the last run of his Order Of Merit winning campaign), he subsequently had a fantastic season as a novice chaser during which he was placed 4 times in graded company - including when a fine 2nd in a Grade 1 at Punchestown.

Sadly, injury has now probably ended his career, but he proved he was still as good as ever when 2nd on The Haldon Gold Cup earlier this season.

As for Lough Derg, I agree that his season end is starting to look a bit ugly but I can't really hold that against his connections. There's a lot of money at stake and I would do the same if he was mine. As long as the horse is fit and well, they have every right to run him.

I think the real issue is that The Order or Merit just isn't a very good idea. I support the aims of it, but nobody really gives a toss about who wins it (well, except me when I have had a bet on it) and it just seems to cause unwanted controversy and unrest among the cotton wool brigade. [/b][/quote]
That told me...

Originally posted by Relkeel@Apr 12 2008, 06:36 PM
I think the real issue is that The Order or Merit just isn't a very good idea. I support the aims of it, but nobody really gives a toss about who wins it (well, except me when I have had a bet on it) and it just seems to cause unwanted controversy and unrest among the cotton wool brigade.
They should put a limit on the number of races which can contribute to it, say 6 maximum.
Best of 6 - then you wouldn't get this kind of unease

David Pipe loves this horse. If I owned him I would want him to go and take his chances as long as he was fit and well. As for the bonus of winning a cool million, what owner wouldn't grab that opportunity with both hands. :rolleyes: Good luck to the connections and I hope he shows again what a tough and very brave horse he is! He won't go down without a fight wherever he finishes.

I actually agree with alot of what is been said on here....it would be very hard to say no to letting the horse run.

But equally I remember the outcry when Azertyuiop ran again at Sandown when it was clear he was not at his best. Paul N has regularly been critised for running him that day only to try to secure the trainers Championship.

But Galileo, no one has said there is anything wrong with Lough Derg... have they?

There would surely be another party at The Pipe's if he pulled this one off. Winning the Order of Merit would really put the icing on the cake for David this season.

Originally posted by Kathy@Apr 12 2008, 11:36 PM
But Galileo, no one has said there is anything wrong with Lough Derg... have they?

There would surely be another party at The Pipe's if he pulled this one off. Winning the Order of Merit would really put the icing on the cake for David this season.
No one complained or mentioned anything about Azertyuiop before his Sandown run either. Only after his run where he injured himself and never made it back on to the track did people start complaining about the decision to run him.

Azertyuiop was a Champion Chaser and Arkle winner who was a serious contender for top honours.Lough Derg is overacheiving this season-in all probability he will never do it again.

I get the feeling that David Pipe is quite surprised at the way Lough Derg has performed this season. He has surpassed all expectations. Make hay whilst the sun shines as, as Luke says, he will probably never do it again.

The amount of money at stake is nothing like as much as some contributors to this thread are imagining. Where does the notion of "a million" come from? First prize in the Order of Merit is in fact £200K, second prize is £75K. Lough Derg is already assured of second prize, so racing in the Scottish Champion Hurdle will offer connections the chance to win an additional £125K.

Worth winning, but hardly a fortune.

Fingers crossed that Kauto wins it, for such a prestigious-sounding prize should be won by a horse of his stature.

Originally posted by Galileo@Apr 12 2008, 11:44 PM
No one complained or mentioned anything about Azertyuiop before his Sandown run either. Only after his run where he injured himself and never made it back on to the track did people start complaining about the decision to run him.
Not actually true (although still a valid point); I remember that both TDK and myself were of the opinion that Azertyuiop might have been carrying an injury into the Sandown race and questioned the wisdom of running him there over on TRF.

Originally posted by michael_o@Apr 13 2008, 04:23 PM
The amount of money at stake is nothing like as much as some contributors to this thread are imagining. Where does the notion of "a million" come from? First prize in the Order of Merit is in fact £200K, second prize is £75K. Lough Derg is already assured of second prize, so racing in the Scottish Champion Hurdle will offer connections the chance to win an additional £125K.

Worth winning, but hardly a fortune.
Definitely worth winning, and it's not just about the money, it's another prize surrounded by a fair amount of publicity. That to many owners and trainers is also very important and what owner wouldn't want to win another £200k.

Well tomorrow's the day for Lough Derg's bid for the title and there is an interesting piece with a longish interview with the owner here:

Lough Derg's final OM bid

I particularly liked this:

"He ran OK on the Thursday at Aintree to be fourth. It was a bit of a gamble to run him again at the meeting, but he's always bucking and squealing when he comes back home. The girl who looks after him has the final call on whether he runs and I would hate to be accused of abusing him. We could have run over fences in a couple of races instead but it doesn't seem right to do that and this is the last chance."

Edited as I'd though it was today :shy:

If anyone cares, I think there is a great value bet to be had on Mahongany Blaze each way at 50/1 with Bet365 to win this season's OOM.

He can move into 2nd place if he finishes 4th (of 5) or better in The VC Chase on Saturday and is with a yard that tends to campaign its horses quite aggressively.

After Saturday, he will have other point-scoring opportunities in races like The Ascot Chase, The Game Spirit, The 2m5f Grade 2 at Cheltenham in April and The Celebration Chase. He probably won't have the class to score at the Cheltenham and Aintree festivals but The OOM is oddly uncompetitive this season and he could quite easily be good enough to finish in the frame. 50/1 is far too big.

Thats a really interesting shout, the current form of the Twiston Davies yard would worry me but like you say he's got a chance of moving 2nd just by jumping round on Saturday and hopefully the yard will be in better form come his next race. Its hard to imagine the Order Of Merit not being in the back of their minds and the 2 mile division is wide open bar Master Minded. I'll have a few quid each way at that price for sure!

Back