Orfevre

ORFEVRE'S Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe participation was put in doubt on Thursday after last year's runner-up, and the 6-1 favourite for this year's race, bled in the aftermath of a routine piece of work.

The five-year-old will miss his intended clash with fellow Japanese superstar Gentildonna, who is under the same ownership, in the Group 1 Takarazuka Kinen at Hanshin a week on Sunday.

"This morning Orfevre worked ahead of the Takarazuka Kinen but afterwards was short of breath and also coughed," said his trainer Yasutoshi Ikee. "The vet diagnosed Exercise-Induced Pulmonary Haemorrhage and so I have decided he will not run. I'm sorry for all the racing fans but it won't be possible to have him in top condition in ten days time."
Orfevre heads the betting to go one better than last year, when he looked to have put the race to bed with a burst to the front three furlongs from home, but it was not to be with Solemia grinding him down close home.

As for the immediate future, Ikee reported: "It isn't serious, he didn't bleed from the nose and the blood vessels should heal in two weeks. We'll look towards the autumn. In a few days he will go to the farm for a break. The future is not certain, including the trip to France. As to his next race I'll have to discuss that with the owners."

ORFEVRE'S retirement ceremony drew a huge crowd at Nakayama, with over 60,000 fans staying after racing had finished and the sun had set to pay tribute to the six-time Group 1 winner.

The number that showed up to watch him race for the last time was double that, and he didn't disappoint, coming home eight lengths clear under Kenichi Ikezoe for his trainer Yasutoshi Ikee in the Arima Kinen.

Ikee said: "I want to say thank you for Orfevre. I don't have any other words. I worried his condition was not quite good, but I have experienced his moods - good ones and bad ones.

"I am happy that today's was a good one. I want to say thank you for fans cheering him on for a long time. Today's race was his best performance.

"I would like his children to compete in the Arc some day. I will train them to run straight and want to win it."
:lol:

Back