Paddy Power Gold Cup

I reckon making excuses for Grand Crus could be costly and he could be suffering from too much too soon in his career and might never be the same again.

Hat's off to Grassy a bold choice glad it paid off for you.

Though the race was perfect for Al Ferof always up there and in touch and no sudden bursts of pace that can catch him out. That same stamina that won him the Supreme came into play and always looked to have Walk On beat.

Can't say who it was but some mad bookie went 7/2 joint fav for the King George right after the race. Wonder if he had any takers?

I'm surprised they are going for the King George with him I reckon he'll hate the race , be outpaced at some point and go to pieces. Total waste of time, they should be taking it easy with him and let him have a crack at the Gold Cup...not saying he's good enough but that is more his type of race IMO

I agree. I have 20 about him for Kempton and 55 for very small money in the Gold Cup but not that bothered if he runs at the former. Prefer Cue Card and Finian's Rainbow.

rather annoyed about that result id been convinced all week to lay grands crus thinkin it was another long run situation but backed out while putting the bet on and had a stupid in running bet on hunt ball just shows a need to stick with my instincts

I know he's fancies by several on here, but I've place-laid Trio D'Alene. I think Geraghty has defaulted to this one, because McCoy had Nadia De La Vega covered, and QE doesn't look that well handicapped.

Trio D'Alene is unexposed over fences, it's true, but there's nothing in his hurdles form which would indicate there's stacks of improvement sitting in him, and he has plenty to find just to get HB alone into a race.

His price reflects the Geraghty/Henderson/Saturday treble, in my view, and I'm hopeful I can get him bounced well out of the places.
good call

Grand Crus is a small horse as Francome rightly pointed out. I think Cheltenham can scare the cr*p out of a horse of that stature when it runs in a large competitve field there. We have one in at the moment, Awesome George, who after running at Cheltenham really lost his nerve yet he'd won around Ascot. Hopefully pointing might just let him regain his way.

Its just a theory.

Grand Crus is a small horse as Francome rightly pointed out. I think Cheltenham can scare the cr*p out of a horse of that stature when it runs in a large competitve field there. We have one in at the moment, Awesome George, who after running at Cheltenham really lost his nerve yet he'd won around Ascot. Hopefully pointing might just let him regain his way.

Its just a theory.

Our Father looked massive in the pre parade ring today and is built for chasing... Hope they look after him

Good theory though jinny. I suppose there are the obvious exceptions (cathies clown or whatever it was called) but theres a logic to that

I like stuff like this rather than boring old ratings. It gives an angle to think about. Im always curious why some horses, in jumps in particular , really thrive at some courses and not others. And why some like certain fields and not others.

Last edited:
Yes ..maybe its my bad memory but i would have expected him to cruise better than that

Francomes comments were interesting and maybe the overtrained suggestion is what he was driving at. One thing about jf is that he can tell us about a horse with the experienced eye

Yes ..maybe its my bad memory but i would have expected him to cruise better than that

Francomes comments were interesting and maybe the overtrained suggestion is what he was driving at. One thing about jf is that he can tell us about a horse with the experienced eye

Francome will be a massive loss to Ch4 racing.As a punter I wouldn't be backing his tips but he is a great man for looking at the big picture.

Back