Peeping Fawn Retired

betsmate

At the Start
By PA Sport Staff

Aidan O'Brien's Peeping Fawn, who won four consecutive Group Ones last season, has been retired.

A daughter of the great sire Danehill, she has not run since winning the Yorkshire Oaks nearly 12 months ago and has failed to fire on the gallops this year.

"We took her away from home to work before she was due to run in the Pretty Polly Stakes in June and thing's weren't quite 100% with her afterwards," said O'Brien.

"While the problem wasn't a major one, she didn't come back the way we had thought she would.

"As she has been such a great filly, we took the decision on Friday morning to retire her. She will be covered next year," he told the Racing Post.
After being unraced at two, Peeping Fawn did not lose her maiden tag until her fourth race before she finished third in the Irish 1000 Guineas at the Curragh.

She then belied her 20-1 starting price in the Oaks at Epsom to finish second to Light Shift before beginning her four-race winning streak.

Indeed. Such a shame she never got to face Zarkava. That would have been a special race and I believe she`d have been a juicy price as well.

I would imagine it will be a Coolmore sire. If they want the Kingmambo line, they will send her to Henry.

I doubt very much they'll send her to Henrythenavigator or Galileo.

There'd be too much close inbreeding to Sadler's Wells and Northern Dancer - the Galileo foal would be 2X3 to SW and 3X4X4 to ND.

Sorry, it's just something I always pick up on ( I did live out there for long enough!) - you'd be amazed how often it is spelled that way!

Sad news. Her first foal would fetch $20m if it has four legs and a chance of ever making it to the ring.

That would make the foal 2X2 to Danehill (plus 4X4X4X4 to Northern Dancer)!

Bound to be good then eh? (only joking) :(

Okay, so who would YOU send her to then? Genuinely would like to know.

Must be something at Coolmore which would result in offspring not being so inbred it would be in danger of having 6 legs and being totally insane.

I love some of their national hunt stallions breeding (Yeats included) but doubt that she would be sent to one of them.

Bound to be good then eh? (only joking) :(

Okay, so who would YOU send her to then? Genuinely would like to know.

Must be something at Coolmore which would result in offspring not being so inbred it would be in danger of having 6 legs and being totally insane.

I love some of their national hunt stallions breeding (Yeats included) but doubt that she would be sent to one of them.

If we're limiting our choice to Coolmore stallions, then Hawk Wing or Flemensfirth might be the best options, but I think they'll send her to an outside stallion.

I don't see why you would want to have such close inbreeding to ND, and anyway, Giant's Causeway is a rather overrated stallion.

His results from stellar books of mares have been rather disappointing (the AEI of his mares' offspring by other stallions is higher than their offspring by Giant's Causeway). And there are some soundness issues as well.

Back