Peeping Fawn Retired

thanks - personally I like Generous but he doesn't seem that popular with other people (that I've spoken to - obviously there seems to be plenty of breeders wanting to use him).

Semi-serious, obviously if I did own her I would be giving a little more thought to it then the 30 seconds it took me to come up with Generous and Dalakhani. I think Generous is tremendous value and their pedigrees might get on. No guarantee that Peeping would be a good broodmare so why waste the money on an expensive sire first time around.

haha, I dont think waste of money does come into it here.

While I am always fascinated how deep people delve into these pedigree-matters, but I really do think that finding a mate consists of more. I would also take her physics into account; she was big, and a bit coarse if thats the correct term, and she was stout (nearly wrote "stoute" :) ) , and even though Danehill was a sprinter himself he did give so much stamina to his offspring, so I really do think some injection of speed would do the mare good. that said, I wouldnt use Choisir, for example.

haha, I dont think waste of money does come into it here.

While I am always fascinated how deep people delve into these pedigree-matters, but I really do think that finding a mate consists of more. I would also take her physics into account; she was big, and a bit coarse if thats the correct term, and she was stout (nearly wrote "stoute" :) ) , and even though Danehill was a sprinter himself he did give so much stamina to his offspring, so I really do think some injection of speed would do the mare good. that said, I wouldnt use Choisir, for example.

Purely a hypothetical situation of course, obviously if you sent her to the most fashionable sire without giving a thought to pedigree or whether she was physically a good match for the stallion, the foal would be sold before it hit the ground anyway.

she was big, and a bit coarse if thats the correct term, and she was stout

Yes, she looks like a man horse :D

I agree there would a be a good chance of getting a horse that wants further than a Derby to be at it's best but PF also had plenty of speed over a mile didn't she.

"Nicks"

Can someone give me some guidance as to what this means, please?

I think I have seen it mentioned on here and looking at the Bloodstock area on the RP site I see it mentioned there.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that a "Nick" is a popular Sire/Damsire cross ~ eg Sadlers Wells x Mr Prospector mare. The dam isn't specified, merely the sire line she would come from.

Don´t get me wrong , I do think she was one of the most stunning race mares I have ever seen, but as Isinglass said, Amazon would the word to describe her. Not really feminine at all. She won over 8, but only once, and did seem to come into her own as the year, and the distance, developed; and she never ran as a 2-year-old. 10 races in 2007, what a glorious season that was. No wonder she had enough :)

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure that I understand it completely.

Why, if "nicks" are held in such disrepute, do the Racing Post have that 'information' available on their site. I appreciate this question should be asked of the Post, but do you have an explanation?

Last edited:
I wonder a lot about nicks too, some people swear by them. This may seem a strange anology but I feel it is a bit like the different methods of betting. Some people will study the form for hours and win, or not. Others will just pick a horse because they like greys, or the name. And win, or not.

I know people who have used nicks and done well, however I also know people who do not bother and breed like to like, or to the most popular stallion at the sales, and they do well too.

When you see how different some full brothers can be it makes you wonder if there is anything in all of this or if it is just luck and numbers. But then look at Sadler's Wells and Fairy King, both bred Derby winners.

I know a stallion man who has been with his now retired stallion for his whole stud career. He said that early on he began to take note of which mares the stallion liked and which ones he showed no real interest in. His theory was that the mares he liked had nice offspring - those he didn't had indifferent offspring. So he believes there is a chemistry between the two horses that somehow makes it a good mating. He once showed me a list of the mares this stallion had liked and the matings had produced some very good racehorses! :cool:

The trouble with nicking is either the sample size is too small to be statistically significant, or else they omit to point out that the horses finishing last in selling races have basically the same nick profile as black type winners.

About love matches, you may be on firmer ground! Remember the story of Chaleureux and Signorina?

You win! Not sure what however.

Makes sense on a lot of counts. She is big, he is small, she is middle distance, he is speedier.

Not sure if he has inherited any of Kingmambo's unsoundness but have not heard anything about that. I wonder if the foal will race in the US or here?

Back