Peter O'Sullevan

Tanlic

Senior Jockey
The legend has passed away R.I.P

Great memories of him calling his own horses home and not batting an eyelid....namely Attivo Be Friendly.

The unforgettable Arkle V Mill House Gold Cup and thousands more

The legend has passed away R.I.P

Great memories of him calling his own horses home and not batting an eyelid....namely Attivo Be Friendly.

The unforgettable Arkle V Mill House Gold Cup and thousands more

If I was Peter O'Sullivan and after all I'd done in racing people who are into it still couldn't spell my name, I think I'd rather be dead too.

What a star. Voice of a generation for those that love horse racing.

Minute silence at all racecourses is expected.

p.s you are forgiven for the 1990 Triumph Hurdle.

Met him at Longchamp once too. Was happy to stand and chat with a group of us for a couple of mins and have photo's taken. Real legend. RIP

Mike Dillon gave a really good interview on ATR with Matt Chapman. He mentioned him backing French horses. Does anyone remember him the story about him burying First Gold when he came over and pissed up in the King George?

"...Just two fences left to jump between he and Grand National history, but close in behind him is Churchtown Boy..."

I'll NEVER forget that commentary... RIP

An absolute icon; set a standard for racecalling no one has got close to since.
Thanks for the memories, Sir Peter.

Honesty required here: Before I posted I thought "Trust the fooking Sporting Life, the man was a legend and the idiots spell his name wrong?"

Then I went to Wikipedia......:blink:

Here even his nerves were tested when commentating on the best : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tamkrqCAegs

I haven't seen that before - the commentary is not the original is it? It sounds like a modern re-recording, done quite recently.

"Legend" is an overused word but it's not misplaced here.

"The mare's beginning to get up..." I'll never forget that commentary.

"Legend" is an overused word but it's not misplaced here.

"The mare's beginning to get up..." I'll never forget that commentary.

i think that one simple line is as iconic for racing as..they think its all over..is for football. The whole image/commentary of the finish of that race will be viewed in 100 years as something special...a very special few seconds in horse racing..maybe the special moment.

I love the Arkle Gold cup one too

Back