Punchestown Day 1

granger

Senior Jockey
Not exactly a vintage renewal of the novice hurdle tomorrow

Cracking 2m chase with the first four home at Cheltenham. I hope the same Sizing turns up as a few weeks back and if he does he won't be beaten.

I'm against Quito in the 3m novice chase. Think ground may be too quick for him. If Quel Espirit could stay on his feet he will win a big one, but I'm going with Loosen my Load, Beautiful jumper, needs good ground and connections are strong in the belief that he needs further than 2m 4f

I love the horse but Sizing Europe has to be taken on given how he ran here last year post-Cheltenham. Golden Silver is very fairly priced at around 11/2.

A lot depends on the ground. Be careful with gigginstown horses. The boss has decreed "if they are still in training, they must run". Not always a good philosopy if horses don't like fast ground or are over the top. But he needs 170k to catch McManus.

I love the horse but Sizing Europe has to be taken on given how he ran here last year post-Cheltenham. Golden Silver is very fairly priced at around 11/2.

I think Big Zeb will start favourite tomorrow.I will be backing Sizing Europe for modest money and maybe a few quid on Jy Vole in running in case there is a pace collapse.
Delighted to see Timmy Murphy back riding the horse.

BBC website predicting heavy rain for Thursday to Saturday. In which case I fear the HF /Binocular clash will be off .

That must be the worst Grade 1 novice hurdle run on the planet tomorrow and how Wee Giant is 4/1 joint fav for the handicap hurdle is beyond me!! He must be at least a 12/1 shot in any book! Piss poor Downpatrick maiden hurdle winner in off 130 odd - no chance!!!
I'll leave t he two bumpers to Stampy - he must have a semi all night dreaming of two bumpers where none have hardly raced!!

There will be more heartache in the parade ring after these races with dreams of Gold Cups in pieces than the local teenage disco! Suspect about ten talking horses per race.

In fairness the 2m Chase could be a cracker. Wouldn't be mad about TJ riding SE.

Two mile chaser is top drawer

Three mile novice chase is decent...

Two mile novice hurdle, as mentioned, is an awful Grade One,

I have no idea what happened, but First Lieutenant, So Young and Oscars Well were all in the mix. I know the latter worked poorly, but how have they all managed to dodge it. A penalty kick for any of the three. Rathlin ran ok at Cheltenham and should have won last week - he's the call for me.

The big chase is a race to enjoy.

I can't work out what might win the novice hurdle, but in the novice chase I think Reve de Sivola is an each way bet. Cantoris has already warned about the Gigginstown edict that his horses are all to run this week in an effort to catch JP in the owners table. In any case there is a doubt that Quito De La Roque can produce his best on today's going. Quel Esprit is by the same sire, and needs to get his jumping right. Loosen My Load is untried over this trip, and Western Charmer ran only last week in the Irish Grand National. Of the remainder, Reve looks the most consistent, and he was a winner at last year's meeting.

You got that spot on OTB - funnily enough the horse I've backed in the Land Rover Bumper has had a run already, at Templemore P2P (if you've not seen the finish it must be the steepest finish in all of racing). The horse in question is Dr Tommy who was upsides the front two when coming down at the last in that particular 4yo Maiden, he made an eyecatching move to kick 3 or so lengths clear rounding the final turn to the last fence but his stamina appeared to give way. It was a particularly promising debut given that the winner was more experienced and the fourth has won subsequently whilst the third horse is a horse I've been following closely since viewing a Stable Tour of his now former trainer (he sold to Willie Mullins for 80,000 last weekend). It's a highly intriguing event with plenty of big stables represented and a raider from the UK but the yard knows what it takes to win a bumper and the jockey booking catches the eye also, Michael Fogarty's first ride for the yard. 18/1 and 4 places in this (or 20/1 and 3 places) looks more than fair.

Martin

Followed you in for a few snoops there IS - Paul Nolan likes his in the last but there hasn't been a red cent for it all morning which would put me off a little. King Vuvuzela still freely available at 20/1 and 9/2 a straight place.

The big chase is a race to enjoy.

I can't work out what might win the novice hurdle, but in the novice chase I think Reve de Sivola is an each way bet. Cantoris has already warned about the Gigginstown edict that his horses are all to run this week in an effort to catch JP in the owners table. In any case there is a doubt that Quito De La Roque can produce his best on today's going. Quel Esprit is by the same sire, and needs to get his jumping right. Loosen My Load is untried over this trip, and Western Charmer ran only last week in the Irish Grand National. Of the remainder, Reve looks the most consistent, and he was a winner at last year's meeting.

I fancy Mr Thriller to run a big race in this - he's the forgotten horse imo - highest rated over hurdles having won off 161 and had only 3 races this/last season? He was finishing very well up the hill at Cheltenham behind Noble Prince and looked a horse just coming into form. His last 6 races have all been at Cheltenham, a track I don't think suits him. There may be a question mark over his stamina but he wasn't stopping L/T/O over 2m4f, so I'm prepared to give him a go on a right-handed track I think will suit and over further and he shouldn't be feeling the effects of a long season. One for me to back at a big price and trade in running, hopefully he'll be travelling well at the 2m6f mark. Either way the price looks huge and worth the risk.

Interesting, and it's a relatively open race - this will be the first time in a while he runs without a 10 pound penalty too..

I know a big run is expected from the Kiely filly Liss A Chara in the final bumper and she gets all the weight allowances but there was good money for the Liz Doyle gelding River Slaney in the morning prior to his debut behind the easy victor Waaheb at Leopardstown back in January, Streets Of Newyork was in front of him that day and has done nothing for the form since but he's been nibbled at again with a couple of firms (PP, VC and Stan James) so they clearly think something of him.

Great race - cracking finish and well done to Big Zeb and connections.

Changing Course must be a contender for the worst pacemaker of all time though.

Ha - I think it's the first time I ever bet on Big Zeb!

Might have been exciting but both were well below their best. Punchestown in May is such a nonsense...

Back